Monday, November 2, 2015

The Sparrow, Authors, 8th Blogiversary, Bowling.

Pinky Poinker recommended a book to me when I was rabbiting on about Stranger in a Strange Land called The Sparrow by Maria Doria Russell. I duly borrowed it from the library only to realise I had already read it as well as the sequel. The name didn't ring a bell at all but it was a very good story and I am sure I blogged about it. However, if I did, I can't find it using the search bar on my blog. I have so many books on my plate, as it were, at the moment, I don't want to read it again but I do remember quite a bit about the story and recall it was about space exploration and the very odd things which happened to the explorers when they got to another planet. As I recall, the principal character was a Roman Catholic Priest, in fact the expedition was organised by a Jesuit order because the SETI programme (searching for Terrestrials) had picked up music from a specific planet, Rakhat, close to Alpha Centauri. If you like sci fi books, you will certainly enjoy this one. Now I want to read it again, but it will have to wait.

Right now I am reading a Brandon Sanderson novel - Shadows of Self - which is part of the Mistborn series which I read a while back. Another very good read. The only trouble with Sanderson, he spends a lot of time lecturing and teaching and not enough time writing, IMHOP anyway.  A bit like George R.R. Martin who's books I gave up on long before the series came on TV. I got fed up with him bumping off his characters anyway. I watched a few of the TV shows on DVD and wasn't all that keen. People are probably throwing up their hands in horror.

Don't think I have mentioned that last month I completed 8 years of blogging. I started in October 2007. At the beginning I blogged every day but eventually cut out Sundays and then made Saturday into just a recipe day. So October 26 is my blogiversary. I must remember that in future.

Now I have to remember to psyche myself up - it's Thursday so that's how I have to bowl. I wonder if it will work. Wish me luck.

I was looking for something different to do with broccoli the other day and came across this recipe. I didn't actually try it at the time, but I think this sounds a very nice change for broccoli.
Mediterranean Roasted Broccoli and Tomatoes

Eating Well


This dish of roasted broccoli and tomatoes is tossed with bright Mediterranean ingredients just before serving.

4 servings, about 1 cup each |

Ingredients

  • 12 ounces broccoli crowns, trimmed and cut into bite-size florets (about 4 cups)
  • 1 cup grape tomatoes
  • 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated lemon zest
  • 1 tablespoon lemon juice
  • 10 pitted black olives, sliced
  • 1 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 2 teaspoons capers, rinsed (optional)

Preparation

  1. Preheat oven to 450°F.
  2. Toss broccoli, tomatoes, oil, garlic and salt in a large bowl until evenly coated. Spread in an even layer on a baking sheet. Bake until the broccoli begins to brown, 10 to 13 minutes.
  3. Meanwhile, combine lemon zest and juice, olives, oregano and capers (if using) in a large bowl. Add the roasted vegetables; stir to combine. Serve warm.

Have a great day
 

37 comments:

  1. Hi Jo - congratulations on your 8 years of blogging. Hope the bowling goes well ... and any recipe with veg in is very good ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hilary. I hope so it would be so nice to bowl well for the team.

      Delete
  2. Congratulations on eight years of blogging.
    Thanks for letting me know The Sparrow is a science fiction book. Wouldn't know it from the title.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alex, it's a great story. I think the title is taken from the bible, the quote about God looking after every Sparrow which falls. The second book is also very good. You would enjoy them I think.

      Delete
  3. Happy bloggoversary!

    I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one that gave up on George R.R. Martin. I like the story itself as presented by the TV show, but I just can't get into his writing. Too much talking about side plots that don't really matter, and I mean, let's face it. The guy's a pervert.

    Also, a recipe with olives? Noooo. I hate olives. It's the only food I don't like. I know, I'm such a lousy Spaniard.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks. I did enjoy his books for a while, but I liked the original family from the north (don't remember the names now) and then he killed them all off and now I understand Jon Snow has been given the chop too. Why bother.

    You could leave the olives out. Yes, you are a lousy Spaniard. I love olives. What about olive oil?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't that the kicker? I love olive oil. Use it in everything. I just don't like olives. Neither does the wife. So that makes cooking much easier.

      And yes, the Starks, butchered and scattered. I'm curious to see how GRRM ends the whole thing, because I think people are going to be mad no matter what he does. If they have a happy ending, it's a cop out. If he kills more main characters and has a bad ending, then they're mad too. I don't know if there is a right way to end something like that.

      Delete
    2. That's it, the Starks. I liked that family. I know there are a couple left but... Then there's Dareus (or whatever) I liked her husband, they could have used another funeral pyre to hatch the dragons, maybe. I must admit my favourite is still the dwarf. I thought the guy playing him on TV was very good.

      Delete
    3. Jo, remind me I have to send you a bottle of Spanish olive oil... Stuff is so, so good :)

      Delete
  5. Happy belated blogiversary! That recipe looked delicious; always looking for different ones for vegetables and this looks healthy too!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Betty. I look for them too. I haven't tried this yet, but I will.

      Delete
  6. Happy blogiversary!!!!! And that recipe looks awesome. I think I'll have to make it this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks JoJo. I might try it for the weekend.

      Delete
  7. I just love search for lifeforms! My cute little lifeforms where are you? Oh I can wish - can't I?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know if they still do it, but at one time SETI co-opted all kinds of home computers to join in the search. Every time your computer was not in use, the SETI programme would take over. It was quite fun for a while.

      Delete
  8. Jo, please stop adding books to my list of titles to check out. I'll never catch up to it. I just read the Sanderson book you're reading. My daughter actually met Sanderson in Boston and got a signed copy. We feel the same as you but he is pretty productive especially compare to that slouch, Martin.
    Happy blog anniversary.

    Susan Says

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry Susan. People do it to me too so I have to pass it on. Nearly finished this book then have a couple more library books to read, one by Mercedes Lackey and one by Robin Hobb. Getting through them. Lucky for your daughter.

      Thanks.

      Delete
  9. Another great post, I seem to be just breezing through blogs lately being unemployed, maybe I should post more or Does anyone have a blog they would like to recommend? Self-promoted is always good too!
    makeituporfunny.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well of course I don't know which blogs you read. Pinky Poinker is a good one but there are dozens I follow as do the rest of us. Maybe you should be job hunting rather than reading blogs.

      Delete
  10. Love broccoli or when I was a kid, trees. The recipe sounds good. Congrats on 8 yrs! It's funny because I have read books and forgot the titles to them also

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I went off it for a while Birgit, but seem to be enjoying it again.

      Yes, the titles don't always stay with you.

      Delete
  11. Hi Jo,

    I think it's remarkable that after eight years, you are still quite prolific. Congrats on your anniversary. Appreciate your life stories and your recipes.

    Gary

    ReplyDelete
  12. Bish Denham has an October 26 anniversary too and did the Listing Blog Hop in honor of that, she's doing it next year too - maybe you could co-host with her. She had a lot of participants and it was a blast.She going to make it an annual thing. (If you took part and already know this, just ignore the first few sentences) Brain is on automatic right now as I take a break from NaNo.
    Happy Anniversary! Do something special next year. I've been at it since 2008 - but have never acknowledged my anniversary either, I think it's because I'm still trying to figure out what I'm doing.:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heard about the lists Yolanda, read some of them. Didn't realise it was her blogiversary too though. Best of luck with NaNo.

      If I remember it next year, had to look up the date this year because something someone wrote made me think of it.

      Delete
  13. Congratulations on your blogiversary. And the broccoli sounds yum.

    Interesting that you didn't remember the book title. I'm worse than that, though. I often forget the title completely, even of novels I really liked.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Helen. It should be a good recipe I think.

      I really liked this book, but until I saw the cover again, had no idea I had read it.

      Delete
  14. Hey Jo,

    It would be interesting to see where your blog is on the list of Longest Blogs... 8 years is incredible, so congrats on such a fun milestone!

    (If you forget next October 26, I'll remind you, it's my Uncle's birthday :)

    PS: That recipe sounds worth making... thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OK, do remind me Mork. There are people who started before me, but they didn't continue. Others of course, I don't know about.

      Delete
  15. reading books is a good habit which helps to know many things. Recipe sounds good...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Something I have done all my life. I read constantly.

      Delete
  16. I'm very fussy about the small amount of science fiction I read. Michael Crichton was always my favourite, but I read The Sparrow twice. I didn't enjoy the sequel any where near as much. I heard Brad Pitt bought the rights to the film. I wish he'd hurry up and make it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Isaac Asimov has always been my favourite although I enjoyed Ray Bradbury. I must confess I don't remember a whole heap about the second book. Maybe I will reread one of these days. Interesting if Brad does make the film.

      Delete
  17. Oh! Congratulations on eight years of blogging. You're a legend Jo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you ma'am not sure about being a legend though!!!

      Delete