Saturday, November 21, 2015

Saturday Recipe

Here's a delicious sounding recipe. No good to me, Matt does NOT like sweet potatoes. Tonight I will be munching pigtails and sauerkraut. Delicious.

Sweet Potato, Red Onion and Fontina Tart

WebMD Recipe from EatingWell.com
Try this roasted-vegetable free-form tart as an appetizer or side dish for a special dinner or as a vegetarian main dish. The pastry dough is very forgiving and quite easy to roll out on parchment
paper or a nonstick baking mat. The walnut-studded crust is crisper served warm, but you can enjoy the tart at room temperature or cold too.

Ingredients

  • 3/4 cup walnuts
  • 1 1/4 cups whole-wheat pastry flour, (see Note)
  • 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
  • 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme, and/or rosemary
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt
  • 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
  • 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
  • 7 tablespoons ice-cold water
  • 1 1/2 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and sliced into 1/4-inch-thick slices
  • 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
  • 1 1/2 cups thinly sliced red onion
  • 1 cup shredded fontina, or Cheddar cheese
  • 1 large egg white, mixed with 1 teaspoon water
  • 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme, and/or rosemary

Instructions

Step 1
Preheat oven to 425°F.
Step 2
To prepare crust: Pulse walnuts in a food processor until finely ground. Combine in a large bowl with whole-wheat flour, all-purpose flour, 2 tablespoons thyme and/or rosemary, 3/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Make a well in the center and add 1/2 cup oil and water. Gradually stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients to form a soft dough (it will seem wetter than other types of pastry dough). Knead in the bowl just until the dough comes together. Pat it into a disk, wrap in plastic and refrigerate for at least 15 minutes or up to 3 days.
Step 3
To prepare filling: Combine sweet potatoes, 1 tablespoon oil, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper in a large bowl. Spread on three-fourths of a large rimmed baking sheet. Toss onion in the bowl with 1 teaspoon oil. Spread evenly on the remaining one-fourth of the baking sheet. Roast for 10 minutes. Remove from the oven. Reduce temperature to 375°.
Step 4
Line a work surface with parchment paper or a nonstick baking mat, lightly dust with flour and dust the top of the dough with flour. Roll the dough into a rustic 15-inch circle, adding more flour, if necessary, to prevent sticking. Transfer the crust to a baking sheet with the parchment or baking mat in place.
Step 5
Leaving a 2-inch border, sprinkle cheese evenly over the crust. Make an overlapping ring of the larger sweet potato slices over the cheese, leaving the 2-inch border. Spread the onion slices in another ring closer to the center. Using the rest of the sweet potato slices, make an overlapping circle in the center of the crust (the pattern will look like a bull’s-eye). Pick up the edges of the crust using a spatula and fold over the filling, making pleats in the dough as necessary (it’s okay if the dough cracks a little as you fold it); the filling will not be completely covered. Brush the crust with the egg-white wash. Drizzle the vegetables with the remaining 1 teaspoon oil and sprinkle with 1 teaspoon thyme and/or rosemary.
Step 6
Bake the tart until lightly browned on the edges, about 50 minutes. Cool for 10 minutes before slicing.

Tips

Ingredient Note: Whole-wheat pastry flour has less gluten-forming potential than regular whole-wheat flour and helps ensure tender baked goods. Find it in the baking section of the supermarket or online at bobsredmill.com and kingarthurflour.com.

Have a great weekend.
 

22 comments:

  1. Hi Jo - love tarts, but don't have them often ... this looks interesting .. and that walnut crust sounds good ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really wish I could make this for us it sounds delicious to me Hilary.

      Delete
  2. That's sounds delicious. I love sweet potato and so does my husband.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wish mine did Helen. By the way, why did you delete your comment the other day. It came through on my email and there was nothing wrong with it?

      Delete
    2. I didn't actually mean to delete it, Jo. Did it accidentally then couldn't remember exactly what I'd said to redo it.

      Delete
    3. Daft the things we do isn't it Helen? I wondered.

      Delete
  3. I love sweet potatoes. Especially sweet potato pie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not sure I would like plain sweet potato pie Denise, don't like pumpkin pie after all. But I do like sweet potatoes.

      Delete
  4. I don't like sweet potatoes either.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That actually sounds quite good. I do like sweet potatoes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Replies
    1. Did you get to go out last night? We hunkered down.

      Delete
    2. Yes we did Ivy. Enjoyed ourselves. Came home fairly early, just as well as it started to snow just as we got home.

      Delete
  7. I'm with your hubby-not into sweet potatoes. It does look good for someone who likes this flavour

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny isn't it Birgit, and yet I love them.

      Delete
  8. I love sweet potatoes and pumpkin. And I just wanted to mention that I really understand your frustration with Pinterest recipes. Some sites no longer exist as food bloggers just stop and if they have purchased a domain name, there site disappears when they do not renew. I have deleted lots of recipes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's It exactly Denise. Any recipes I really want I copy to my recipe programme.

      Delete
  9. Don't care for sweet potatoes myself, but my daughter loves them. She might like this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope he wants to try it Susan. If I did make it I would have to freeze some of it.

      Delete