Friday, November 13, 2015

Friday 13, Bowling, Weather.

Friday the 13th. How many of you are superstitious? I have a very good friend who has a birthday today. Didn't ask her, but hope she isn't concerned.

As usual, Thursday bowling went pretty well. Kept a good average. Matt was not as good but he won the last game. On Thursday there is another couple (usually a threesome, but one is away) who bowl next to us. They play 3 or 4 games in the time we take to play 2 and a bit. They are not young but I think younger than we are. I said to them today, "don't you have any aches and pains?" they assured me they did not. Not that I would want to race through our games, but we are physically unable to play that fast. I am feeling very sorry for the "son owner" who is working some 15 or 16 hours a day this week because his dad has to go to visit his mom after her back operation on Monday. His dad is worn out driving up and down to Toronto every day as well. Apparently her hemoglobin was low today so she had to have a second blood transfusion. Doesn't sound too good to me. Not a medic of any kind though of course.


We are getting some of the predicted wind storm this evening (Thursday) but so far not as bad as some of the pictures we have seen from the States. Hope it won't get worse. It's been blowing pretty hard all afternoon, had trouble walking around. Had to pop into the store which has an underground parking lot and it was howling through there so had trouble walking there too. It was also damp, raining off and on, and pretty cold. I didn't want to take my coat off in the bowling alley for a while. A couple were just leaving when we arrived. I told them they would do better to stay where  they were, but the husband assured me he had bowled so badly he preferred the weather. He had been beaten by his wife so had to buy her lunch.

I occasionally borrow recipes from Kevin at Closet Cooking. He's OK so long as I don't do it too much. He really comes up with some unusual recipes. This one appealed to me.

Roasted Cauliflower and Mushroom Carbonara

Servings: 4
A roasted cauliflower and mushroom pasta in a creamy egg and bacon sauce seasoned with plenty of fresh cracked pepper.
ingredients
  • 1 small head cauliflower, cut into florets
  • 8 ounces mushrooms, quartered
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 8 ounces fettuccine (or pasta of choice) (gluten free for gluten free)
  • 4 ounces pancetta, diced or 4 ounces bacon cut into 1 inch pieces
  • 1 clove garlic, chopped
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/2 cup (2 ounces) parmigiano reggiano (parmesan), grated
  • plenty of fresh cracked black pepper
  • salt to taste
  • 1 tablespoon parsley, chopped
directions
  1. Toss the cauliflower and mushrooms in the oil, salt and pepper, place on a baking sheet in a single layer and roast in a preheated 400F/200C oven until they start to caramelize, about 20-30 minutes, mixing half way through.
  2. Start cooking the pasta as directed on the package.
  3. Cook the pancetta in a pan, pour off all but a tablespoon of the grease from the pan, add the garlic, cook for 30 second and turn off the heat.
  4. Mix the egg, cheese, pepper and salt and parsley in a bowl.
  5. Drain the cooked pasta reserving some of the water.
  6. Mix the pasta, egg mixture, cauliflower and mushrooms into the pan with the pancetta, adding reserved pasta water as needed.

Note: To speed things up, about 20 minutes into roasting the cauliflower and mushrooms, get your pot of water for the pasta on the stove and start bringing it to a boil.
Option: Replace the parmigiano reggiano with pecorino romano.



Have a great day
 

23 comments:

  1. Loved that the husband bought his wife lunch, for her win.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jo - 13th doesn't worry me - I'm a Friday 13th kind of girl. I like the idea of the pasta ... slightly different and interesting. Yes I hope she does improve ... cheers and enjoy the weekend - Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's never worried me either Hilary. I like the sound of this pasta.

      Delete
  3. We're to have a nice weekend with no rain, which is good. The ground is still soggy from the beginning of the week.

    A black cat has crossed my path so many times today, I almost kicked her.

    I think I could mutate that recipe to where I could eat it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wish I were there. I do miss NC Diane. Well, that comes of having one live with you I guess.

      Hope you can to try it, I think it would taste really good.

      Delete
  4. I'm not superstitious but worked for a doctor once who was Irish. He said on Friday the 13th his mom would have all of them spend the day in bed. He had to really work through it as an adult not to spend the day in bed.

    The lady who had surgery, she probably lost a lot of blood during the surgery and that's why they had to do a 2nd transfusion. If that is the case, she should be fine as time goes by after the surgery (not that I'm a doctor, I just listen to them all day long).

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How funny Betty. I bet it was difficult for him.

      Thanks for that information - I know you pick up a lot of knowledge working with doctors.

      Delete
  5. Don't get blown away by the winds.
    Not superstitious. Just another day to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll try not to Alex. But it sure is blowing, still doing so this morning.

      Me too.

      Delete
  6. I enjoy Friday the 13ths. I feel like I am living dangerously-hahahaaa Love it that the husband would rather brave the weather than stay because his wife beat him at bowling but great he has to buy her lunch. yesterday was a typical November day where I wished I was home making cards

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe you are Birgit. I should get Matt to buy me lunch when I beat him.

      It was a horrid day wasn't it?

      Delete
    2. Oh gosh it was and I had to travel from Fort Erie back to St. Catharines and it was sunny then suddenly it felt like a bucket of water came down on the car while I saw a rainbow-all at once!

      Delete
    3. At least you saw a rainbow Birgit.

      Delete
  7. I guess the 13th is unlucky for some, especially our neighbor.We heard this loud crash, just a few minutes ago, rushed to the window and saw that a large branch had come down on their car. Lots of damage! Shame, but the winds are tearing through, and the entire neighborhood is wooded, with some of the tallest spindliest trees I've ever seen. Knock on wood, I've always considered the number 13 to be lucky.
    Happy bowling!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear, Yolanda, sorry for your neighbour. The winds are really bad aren't they? I've never really thought much about it. Like our apartment is numbered 514 but really and truly it should be 513

      Delete
  8. That looks like one of your most delicious recipes ever Jo! There's a 40% chance for us to have a storm this afternoon. We'd welcome it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I guess it's vegetarian which would be OK for a piscatarian Pinky.

      I hope you get it in that case. It has finally stopped blowing now.

      Delete
  9. I'm not superstitious about Friday the 13th only cause it's bad luck only if you are a Knight Templar. I've hard about that storm out there. Hope it's over by now. I saw some cool pics of the Great Lakes waves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. I've never heard that before JoJo. Yes it is over. Nowhere near the Lakes and haven't seen any pix.

      Delete
  10. I'm not at all superstitious about 13 in any form - but I do avoid walking under ladders. Goodness only knows what might fall on you. Enjoy your bowling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too Helen, only makes sense. I'd enjoy it more if I scored better.

      Delete