Thursday, November 26, 2015

At the Crossroads, Thanksgiving.

Sadly, all that lovely snow has disappeared except for a few patches here and there. As we have a longish drive to go bowling with the Travel League today I am not sorry.  We get to have lunch at the restaurant which actually calls itself "At The Crossroads". I hadn't realised that before. It is a Mennonite run restaurant and extremely popular locally. It is also where I buy mince meat tarts for Christmas. It always astounds me how little I liked mincemeat when I was a kid and nowadays I love it. The tarts made by the restaurant are absolutely delicious especially if served with a large dollop of cream and especially again if the cream is Double Devon English cream. I have no doubt I will be eating a slice with my lunch today anyway.

Of course, my American friends are all stuffing themselves today on turkey, ham and pumpkin pie. Or pecan of course. I really will have to try pumpkin pie, it is a long while since I tasted it and maybe this time I will like it. Maybe for lunch today. However, I wish you all a very Happy Thanksgiving and hope you all can find lots of things for which to be thankful.

I can't image anyone is interested in a recipe today so I am not going to offer one. Just hope you all find many blessings today.


Have a great day
 

18 comments:

  1. Hi Jo - I love mince-pies too .. and tarts - that mix of spicy fruits is too delicious - I resist the rest of the year. But please remember it's Cornish cream!! Have a good day - and Happy Thanksgiving to all celebrating ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm the same these days Hilary. Oh if only I could get Cornish cream. We can buy small pots of Double Devon Cream here which is better than the regular cream we can buy in stores here.

      Delete
  2. Enjoy your day. We are having a trifle with pumpkin mousse. If I mess up the turkey, we can always eat dessert.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds good Denise. I am sure you won't mess it up. Just saw, on GMA, if your turkey comes out dry, add a little lemon vinaigrette before service.

      Delete
  3. We're looking forward to our feast today with the kids but my cold has made it so I can't taste or smell. I'm so bummed. I looked up a mincemeat recipe and it's definitely not something I would like. I bought an apple pie and I'm gonna make cupcakes for my stepdaughter & I joint bday. Russell's prepping the turkey to start cooking and he got a ham as well. Everything else I cut major corners on out of ease, speed and convenience....Stove Top stuffing, canned corn and jar gravy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So sorry about your cold JoJo. I didn't like mincemeat once. I cannot imagine what jar gravy is like. I am not that keen on gravy in the first place. However, I always make my own. Not that difficult or time consuming. Hope you enjoy your day and have a great birthday tomorrow.

      Delete
  4. Scotto likes mince pies. Have a lovely day Jo. Enjoy all the yummy sounding food.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pinky. No mince pies though. I was very disappointed.

      Delete
  5. Hi human, Jo,

    My human, Gary, tells me loves a tart or two. Nothing like a bit of double Devon English cream to top it off.

    Here's to our American human friends having a peaceful, pawsitive version of Thanksgiving.

    We had a bit of snow about three days ago. Lasted but a few hours.

    Take care, my human friend.

    Pawsitive wishes,

    Penny

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely Penny and I hope he shares a few licks of cream with you. I hope everyone did have a pawsitive Thanksgiving. I wasn't peaceful as my internet service went paws in the air so I couldn't get online.

      Our snow has all gone too. Lots of pats and doggy licks for you Penny.

      Delete
  6. I'm from Devon in England. I was born on a farm and my mum used to make her own clotted cream. It was wonderful, especially with mince pies at Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now you are being really cruel PL. Having lived in Canada sine 1975 the one thing I miss more than anything else is English cream, in general, and clotted cream in particular.

      Delete
  7. Gosh, I haven't even *heard* of minced meat pies in donkey's years (and where did *that* saying come from, I wonder :)

    Hope your bowling - and lunch - went well and have a lovely, relaxing weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really Mork, you do surprise me. I am sure you could buy Cross and Blackwell mincemeat in North Carolina so that means in lots of places I think.

      Bowling so, so, lunch good.

      Delete
  8. Nice that you can enjoy those lovely pies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True..... But now you have the ready-made mince from the jar. So at least you have something.

      Delete
    2. Yes and I won't make the pie til closer to Christmas now. Save loading up the freezer Ivy.

      Delete