Saturday, August 15, 2015

Saturday Recipe

Sorry I have not been reading too many blogs as I have been messing with Windows 10. First of all copying everything which I didn't want to lose, just in case. However, I then bit the bullet and I now have 10 on my laptop. So far it doesn't seem a lot different. However, we shall see.

If you are a regular reader, you will have seen me write how much I love dumplings. However, I was talking Chinese dumplings. I had no idea the Tibetans ate them too, however, considering their close association with China, I suppose that just proves how dumb I am. Don't you dare agree.



Tsak Sha Momos (Tibetan Beef Dumplings)









Ingredients

  • 1 pound ground or finely chopped beef, about 85% lean
  • ½ cup minced onion
  • ½ cup minced cilantro stems
  • 3 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
  • 2 tablespoons canola oil
  • 2 teaspoons minced garlic
  • 1 ¼ teaspoons salt
  • About 48 round dumpling or gyoza wrappers (about 3 1/4 inches wide)
  • Sepen (see recipe) or other hot sauce or soy sauce, for serving

Preparation

Make the filling:

  1. In a bowl, combine the beef, onion, cilantro, ginger, oil, garlic, salt and 2 tablespoons of water. Using your hands or a spoon, mix lightly but well. Set aside, from 30 minutes to 2 hours, to develop the flavors.

Make the dumplings:

  1. Lay 6 wrappers out on a work surface. Spoon about 2 teaspoons of filling onto the upper half of each wrapper. With a damp cloth, lightly moisten the edges of each wrapper and fold up and over the filling into a half-moon, gently pressing the edges to seal. To pleat the sealed edges, start at one tip of the half-moon and make small folds in the dough, pressing them flat as you work your way along the edge. There should be space for about 7 folds. Place finished dumplings on a nonstick surface and cover lightly with damp paper towels. Refrigerate if not cooking immediately.
  2. When ready to cook, boil water in the bottom of a large steamer. Spray the steamer tray lightly with nonstick spray and gently add the dumplings, making sure they do not touch. Steam in batches for 10 minutes, until the wrappers are slightly translucent, and serve immediately.
  3. To eat, spoon a dab of sauce onto a small plate. Pick up a dumpling and bite off one end; do not let the juice spill out. Carefully suck out the juice, then eat the rest in bites, dipping it into the sauce.

Have a great weekend.

8 comments:

  1. I used to go to a Tibet festival in San Francisco and always got momos. They are good and remind me of Chinese pot stickers (here they call it Peking ravioli). I just reserved my copy of Windows 10 but I'm afraid to download it. I need to back up my photos first.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's interesting JoJo. I would like to try them. Matt has made pot stickers, I never have.

      Definitely back up your photos first, just in case, and anything else you consider important. If you click on the little window in your tray, on the right near the clock, there is a link which tells you if your computer is compatible.

      Delete
  2. I am hungry and these dumplings look delicious and sound it too. My mom made dumplings...German style and I never liked them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. German or English style dumplings are quite a different 'animal' Birgit. I do like those kind of dumplings too, but the Chinese type are the best IMHOP

      Delete
  3. Great photos! Have you encountered that "zoom in and out" thing that Windows 10 does, that I never ran into with 8.1 ? Even Best Buy could not tell me why it was doing this. Just wondering. :) - Marsha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't say I have yet Marsha. Will keep an eye out for it.

      Delete
  4. I love 7, and I hate change.
    Good luck with 10. I'l be interested to know if you like it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far I do Melissa. It has speeded up my laptop which worked at the speed of cold molasses. Still haven't got it for my desktop.

      Delete