Saturday, August 1, 2015

Saturday Recipe

Last week I looked up this recipe to share with friends and I decided to make it again for us tonight. I have posted it before, but here it is as a reminder. I remember it as being absolutely delicious. By the way, the step which calls for putting the steak in the oven I don't do, I just cook it in the skillet.

Blue Cheese Crusted Filet Mignon With Port Wine Sauce
Food.com

This is a flavourful and tasty presentation of a very tender cut of Blue Cheese Crusted Filet Mignon With Port Wine Sauce. Photo by JanuaryBridebeef. We made it for a birthday dinner and it was memorable

Servings 4

Ingredients
1 tablespoon butter
1/2 cup white onion, minced
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 tablespoon fresh thyme, chopped
3/4 cup beef broth
1/2 cup port wine
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
4 filet mignon steaks, 1 1/2-inches thick
3/4 cup blue cheese, crumbles
1/4 cup breadcrumbs
Directions:

Melt butter in a skillet over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic and thyme. Cook, stirring constantly, until onion is tender. Stir in the beef broth, scraping any onion bits from the bottom of the pan, then stir in the port wine. Bring to a boil, and cook until the mixture has reduced to about 1/2 cup. Set aside. This may also be made ahead of time and reheated.
Preheat oven to 350°F Heat oil in a cast-iron or other oven-safe skillet over high heat. Sear steaks quickly on both sides until brown, then place the entire pan into the oven.
Roast steaks in the oven for about 15 minutes for medium rare, with an internal temperature of 145°F You may adjust this time to allow the steaks to finish just below your desired degree of doneness if medium is not what you prefer. Remove from the oven. Stir together the bread crumbs and blue cheese. Top each steak with a layer of this mixture.
Preheat the oven's broiler. Place steaks under the preheated broiler until the cheese topping is browned and bubbly, 3 - 4 minutes. Remove from the oven and let stand for 10 minutes before serving. Serve with warm port wine sauce.

Have a great day
 

15 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I'm however, allergic to most beef.

      Delete
    2. What a pity Ivy, this is a super recipe. My first husband was allergic to a lot of things as a child, in fact his mother had to bathe him in olive oil as he was allergic to water. He was lucky and grew out of many of them by the time he was an adult. Although in fact asthma did kill him in the end.

      Delete
    3. I am sorry to hear that the asthma got him in the end. How long were you two married?

      Delete
    4. We were married 10 years Ivy. We then divorced but remained very good friends. He actually remarried before I did although I was living with Matt at the time.

      Delete
    5. Wonderful to hear that you parted very good friends.

      Delete
    6. Yup, on both sides, we are very good friends with Matt's ex too.

      Delete
  2. Love steak, and unlike Ivy, it's one meat I"m not allergic to. Yay! But do not care for the blue cheese.Still yum, yum! Have a beautiful Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Another pity Yolanda, this is such a super dish. The blue cheese really does something for the steak.

      Delete
  3. Not a fan of bleu cheese either...I firmly believe that no food should have mold. lol I remember the one time i ordered filet mignon at a restaurant w/ my parents, I asked for it well done. The waitress just stared at me. The adults at the table started laughing and said, 'the chef will never cook it that way for you, honey'. My mom suggested either veal parm or ground sirloin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such a shame JoJo, you miss out on some of the world's greatest pleasures. I am very glad that the list of things I don't like to eat is extremely short.

      Delete
  4. Yummy! I am not sure I would have blue cheese but another cheese will do. Again, I say...Yummy:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Blue cheese is delicious Birgit. We enjoyed it once again.

      Delete
  5. I do like blue cheese. I think it's an acquired taste. Scotto won't have a bar of it. Hope you had a lovely meal together :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did Pinky thank you. Not a recipe for you obviously as you don't eat meat.

      Delete