Friday, August 7, 2015

Bowling, Subway, Dentist.

Turns out the bowling alley is still unable to link to their scoring computer screens so had to do our scoring manually again. Apparently the insurance company is coughing up although they don't yet know what percentage, but it turns out their agent is a bowler who bowls at their alley! I don't know if that makes a difference. Bowling was somewhat better today. Yesterday, by the way, was the last of the bowling for the summer league - what points we have earned were finally tallied and anything we do next week will not count. We will have our summer banquet next week and then bowl and that's it. I gather the Colonel will be providing the food next week. Long time since I have had KFC.

So, feeling a tad off this afternoon, decided to get a submarine sandwich for both of us. Also had to
pick up our Avon for this week. Did both. When we got to Submarine, I saw they were advertising their lobster sub. I asked the girl if it was real lobster, she assured me it was. I decided to try it. Matt didn't for some reason. Well he isn't fanatical about lobster like I am. Once we got it home, I discovered it was definitely real lobster and made a nice change. I enjoyed it. Following after with strawberries I had prepared earlier. It might not surprise you to know mine didn't have anything like as much lobster as shown in the picture.

Went to the dentist also and was expecting to be kind of in and out. No such luck. Had to rush lunch to get to the alley. Turned out the younger owner had also spent his morning at the dentist too. He described a fibre optic light they had used which showed the total construction and condition of the teeth. Mine was just an X-ray although he said he got that too. He was very impressed with the fibre optic light. I would have been too.

Most people who enjoy fish seem to enjoy salmon. I thought this recipe sounded good and might do that for tonight.

Grilled Salmon with Orzo, Feta, and Red Wine Vinaigrette

Curtis Stone at Tastebook
Serves 4 

Ingredients

For the Orzo:
  • 1 1/2 cups orzo
  • 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
  • 3 tablespoons finely chopped shallots
  • 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
  • 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
  • Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • 2 ounces fresh baby spinach (about 3 cups not packed)
  • 1 1/2 cups grape tomatoes, cut in half
  • 1/2 cup pine nuts, toasted
  • 1/4 cup thinly sliced fresh basil leaves
  • 1 cup crumbled feta cheese (4 ounces)
  • 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives, for garnish
For the Salmon:
  • Four 5-ounce skinless salmon fillets
  • Olive oil, for coating the fish
  • Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper

directions

  • 1 Prepare an outdoor grill for medium-high cooking over direct heat.
  • 2 To make the orzo salad: Bring a large saucepan of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the orzo and cook, stirring often, for about 8 minutes, or until just tender. Drain the orzo in a sieve and set aside…3In a medium bowl, whisk the vinegar, shallots, and garlic together. Gradually whisk in the olive oil. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
  • 3 In a large bowl, toss the warm orzo, spinach, tomatoes, pine nuts, and basil with the vinaigrette. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Set aside at room temperature.
  • 4 To cook the salmon: Coat the salmon with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Oil the cooking grate. Place the salmon on the grill with the top right corner of each fillet facing the 2-o’clock position and cook for 4 minutes, without moving the salmon. (This will help give the salmon a good sear of nice grill marks and help it release from the grate.) Using a thin metal spatula, starting at the corner of each fillet nearest you, flip the fillets over. Grill for about 2 minutes, or until the fish is opaque with a slightly rosy center when flaked in the thickest part with the tip of a small knife. Remove from the grill.
  • 5 Mound the salad in the center of a large serving platter or four dinner plates. Sprinkle with the feta cheese. Top with the salmon, sprinkle with the chives, and serve.

Have a great day
 

20 comments:

  1. I love how some places don't give as much sub filling as shown in adverts. Glad you liked it though. Cool beans.

    Happy Weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Ivy, I will certainly be having it again if its available - think it's a limited time thing.

      Thanks

      Delete
    2. I don't eat stuff like that BUT, I do eat limited tome items, like the last of the transparent apples, that I made into sauce, yesterday. We love the stuff.

      But now, we've moved onto the next apple.

      Delete
    3. Transparent apples Ivy? What are they

      We don't eat apple sauce the way North Americans do, I serve it as a sauce with roast pork.

      Delete
  2. Not a fan of lobster and never saw it as something you'd put in a sub, but I guess why not? Without the automatic scorekeeper, did you find someone else to keep the score? Dentists have lots of new toys, and yet still employ the loud ear splitting drills! UGH!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lobster is probably my favourite food Yolanda, it wasn't bad in a sub. No, I kept score. As I did on Wednesday. Must admit I do NOT like going to the dentist, whatever new toys they have.

      Delete
  3. Hey if you and Matt ever make it to Cape Cod, there are quite a few restaurants that give you an honest lobster roll. If you are willing to spend the $20 for one, you won't be disappointed. I, of course, cant' eat them. Russell loves KFC. I've never had it. So many people I know have gotten sick from it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did get to Plymouth many years ago. I had lobster in the Mayflower restaurant which is/was right on the quay by the Mayflower. I wonder if it's still there. There was a seafood store next door where I bought lobster meat for lunch the next day.

      Used to enjoy KFC, the chicken anyway, don't know anyone who has gotten sick from it.

      Delete
  4. Salmon looks delicious in that recipe. Hubby told me a doctor's office got struck by lightening here, all their computers, etc., knocked out. Still trying to sort it all out.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bad at the bowling alley, could be disastrous for a doctor's office Betty. I have the orzo but not the feta.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. It certainly tasted like the real thing Alex.

      Delete
  6. I don't think I've ever tasted lobster.I like crab and bugs so I assume I'd like lobster. I'll bet it looked nothing like the picture lol. Subway are getting a bit fancy aren't they? I'm going to lunch today and you've almost convinced me to order salmon, again. It's just so juicy and scrumptious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it Pinky, I love crab too. I know I have been told, but what are bugs? Crayfish or something?

      I don't think they do the lobster for long. We had salmon again tonight.

      Delete
  7. I love lobster but I never go to Subway. I am not surprised that it doesn't look like anything in the picture. I hope the bowling place gets fixed and the insurance covers it all. It's hard for the small business man. This recipe sounds great but what is Orzo??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like Subway, their sandwiches are pretty good. We go there now and again when I am too lazy to cook. If we are travelling we nearly always go there.

      They say the insurance is going to cover most if not all of it.

      Orzo is a pasta that is tiny like grains of rice.

      Delete
  8. I had my first experience with the fibre optic light on my last visit to the dentist plus a new kind of x-ray scan. Both were much more pleasant than the traditional x-rays so I was very happy. I'm just hoping they don't need to use those ulcer making rigid cards ever again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not seen the fibre optic light Helen, but the X-ray was different now I come to think of it. I wonder if they have it at my dentists, I must ask.

      Delete
  9. Fiber-optic light? That is wicked. It's really amazing if you think about the stuff they have now to treat dental problems. Anyway, thanks for sharing your day with us.

    Isabel Phelps @ Buckhead Dentist

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is incredible the advances both in dentistry and medication generally Isabel although I wonder what people in 100 years time will think of the things we consider so advanced.

      Delete