Wednesday, July 8, 2015

NoHotPets,

I got an email today from Winter, the spokesanimal for NoHotPets. I have posted a reminder on Facebook. Although this ad is specifically for Ontario residents, it applies to everyone who lives where it gets hot enough to turn a car into an oven.

This includes a number we can call if we see a pet left in a car in Ontario, there is another set of phone numbers for other Provinces, but if you don't live in Canada, please spread this reminder anyway. It's easy to say one would smash a window, but it's not that easy to do. Not unless you happen to have a tire iron or something handy. Of course this equally applies to children.

Other than that, I haven't a lot to write about today, sorry. Bowling tomorrow (Wednesday) hooray.

I thought this sounded different.

Savory Cauliflower Cake

:  

This healthy, savory cauliflower cake recipe falls somewhere between a quiche and a meatless meatloaf. Garbanzo bean flour adds nutty flavor plus protein to make the cake a satisfying vegetarian main dish recipe. The flavor is best when the cake is warm or at room temperature, so it’s an ideal choice for a buffet. 

Savory Cauliflower Cake

Makes: 8 servings

Ingredients

  • 1 medium head cauliflower (about 2 pounds), trimmed and broken into small florets
  • 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
  • 3/4 teaspoon caraway seed, ground or crushed
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
  • 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper, or to taste
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
  • 3/4 cup garbanzo bean flour (see Tip)
  • 1/4 cup all-purpose flour or gluten-free flour blend
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 6 large eggs
  • 1 jarred roasted red pepper, rinsed and chopped (about 1/2 cup)
  • 3/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
  • 3 tablespoons chopped fresh dill, divided

Preparation

  1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Line the bottom and sides of a 9-inch springform pan with parchment paper.
  2. Bring about 1 inch of water to a boil in a large pot fitted with a steamer basket. Add cauliflower and steam until tender, 8 to 10 minutes.
  3. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, until tender and golden, about 8 minutes. Add caraway seed, coriander, crushed red pepper and 1/2 teaspoon salt; cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Gently stir in the steamed cauliflower, doing your best not to break up the florets, and cook for 2 to 3 minutes to combine the flavors.
  4. Whisk garbanzo bean flour, all-purpose flour (or gluten-free blend), baking powder and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt in a bowl. Whisk eggs in a large bowl until mixed. Sprinkle the dry ingredients over the eggs and whisk to combine and eliminate most of the lumps. Stir in roasted red pepper, feta and 2 tablespoons dill. Add the cauliflower mixture and gently stir to combine. Spread the mixture evenly into the prepared pan.
  5. Bake until the top is golden and the cake is set, 35 to 45 minutes. Let cool to warm; remove the pan sides and the parchment. Serve warm or at room temperature, garnished with the remaining 1 tablespoon dill.

Tips ad Notes

  • Garbanzo bean flour, made from ground dried garbanzo beans (aka chickpeas), is a gluten-free flour used in many traditional Middle Eastern recipes. Look for it in natural-foods stores and/or in well-stocked supermarkets in the gluten-free section. Once opened, store airtight in the freezer. 

Have a great day
 

27 comments:

  1. I love cauliflower but boy does it make a mess when you cut it up! That and broccoli. So far I haven't seen any animals in cars when I've been out, thankfully. It's not clear what the law is here in MA about it. I know you can call the cops but they always take forever to show up. Someone did break a car window and the car owner insisted that charges be filed so the good samaritan was arrested (but the charges were soon dropped).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the trouble with breaking windows JoJo, I would be reluctant to do it, but if we had a phone number (reminds me I must carry that with me) it would help. If the cops take so long, the animal could die of course, it doesn't take long. I think I would risk breaking the window.

      Delete
  2. Here in the South, a pet would be dead within minutes locked in a hot car.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can imagine Alex. It can get that hot here in the summer too. When we get summer that is. People are so incredible thoughtless sometimes.

      Delete
  3. Interesting cauliflower recipe, not sure if I would make it, but interesting. They do have a big campaign here in Prescott, Arizona about leaving dogs (and kids) in hot cars. You would think people would have a voice of reason and realize if they feel hot in a car, their dog/kid will feel hot in a car. We would take Koda with us to run short errands when he was still with us, but once it got even the bit warm, we would stop doing it. He loved to go, but we knew we had to keep him safe.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's OK to take them in an air conditioned car so long as you don't leave them. Obviously if you are going somewhere where you can't take a dog, then leave it at home. As you say Betty, common sense

      Delete
  4. Love cauliflower, must try that recipe! Have fun bowling.
    NO PUPPIES IN CARS! Awesome campaign!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Yolanda.

      I just wish it would get through to the idiots who do this kind of thing.

      Delete
  5. Just yesterday I saw a news story that one of the states, maybe New Mexico, passed a law that you may break into a car to save a dog in the heat.
    Susan Says

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I heard something about that on the news but not sure when or where Susan.

      Delete
  6. I just don't get how people can be so thoughtless to do this. I have seen poor dogs on the news who had died because the owner decided to go to a bar or go shopping-horrible

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Basically, I guess, these people shouldn't have pets in the first place, Birgit.

      Delete
  7. I saw a car in a shopping centre in this hot, tropical climate with a couple of huskies locked inside. I waited at the car until the owner came back and gave her a blast. If she'd taken much longer I would have called the police.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you Pinky. What was her response? Aggressive or not?

      Delete
    2. She was embarrassed and a bit defensive. By the time she arrived there were several people gathered along with me.

      Delete
    3. Glad you had support Pinky, maybe made her think a bit. She might have reacted badly to you on your own. Not sure what your laws are in Oz, but in the States you would have to be worried the offender might pull a gun on you.

      Delete
  8. Thank you so much for posting this reminder not to leave pets in hot cars. It's a message that cannot be overshared. I always call the police when I see a pet left in a hot car. There's just no excuse for leaving an animal to roast like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it is important. I posted this on Facebook as well Danielle. In fact I may well post this again next month say. I thought of carrying a banner but people would get used to seeing it. There is no excuse for leaving an animal or a child in a hot car.

      Delete
  9. Hi, Jo...

    That cake looks AMAZING... Im not big on cauliflower, but I would definitely try a piece of that cake...

    SO true about the pups.... It is just COMMON SENSE... Sad, so many people just don't have it!

    Hoped you enjoyed your bowling this evening!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The whole pets in cars and babies in cars thing, drives me nuts.

    Garbanzo flour. I have bought it twice from the same company and didn't like it but I kid you not, just yesterday I bought the hard chickpeas to make my own flour this week.

    Figured I'd try my own and see if that tastes less beany.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In the news on GMA today Ivy, kids being left in hot cars and one at least dying. Apparently kid's temps rise faster than adults. Scary.

      I actually don't like chickpeas much in the first place, they need lots of added flavour. Be interested to see what your homemade flour tastes like.

      Delete
    2. Very sadabout the kiddos. And I'd think people should know better. But some still don't.

      Have you ever had oven baked spicy chickpeas? Oh my gosh, so yummy. I make those from canned though.

      Next week I'm doing a photo of the dried ones for a what are we, post. Then I'll make the flour. I hope it's better than store-bought.

      Delete
    3. No I haven't Ivy but I have had wasabi peas which I love (hubby doesn't like to hear me crunching though).

      Good luck with the flour

      Delete
    4. Ohhh... I used to love those. Thanks. It's going up tomorrow for a what am I post. But you're the only one that knows.

      The homemade flour that I did today, is better than the store-bought. Still beany, but better.

      Delete
    5. Can I cheat then? I guess you can't get away from beans tasting like beans Ivy.

      Delete
    6. It's duller in taste. Homemade is nicer. And I love beans, but this bean-like taste is not my top-pick for flours.

      Delete
    7. I don't think I would enjoy it. Ivy

      Delete