Monday, July 20, 2015

Dermatologist, Nail Polish, Power Cut.

Went to see the dermatologist for Matt on Saturday. turns out his face is covered in basal cells and also cancer spots. He froze all the potential areas but Matt has to go see a surgeon - one day - to get all the bad areas removed. Also his leg has a basal cell spot. He says none of them are really dangerous so not to worry about it. He also checked Matt's back and chest which I am pleased to say are clear. He thinks this could be because of sun exposure when Matt was a kid. Of course, in those days, we had no idea of the dangers. Matt has already had one melanoma excised from his lip area. That was in North Carolina some years ago.

Afterwards, we went to visit some friends we haven't seen for a while. We don't see them very often
as they live in the next town so it was great to see them. She had bought a new nail polish that day and as we were sitting on their deck, she went to get it. Somehow she dropped it at the front door and it shattered. Her daughter in law was also visiting and happened to have removed in the car so the pair of them were on their knees trying to clean it all up. What a mess. Even when we left there was still polish in the area. However, we were fed supper which we very much enjoyed. It was a great visit.

Sunday afternoon we were quietly sitting here minding our own business when the power went out. Lasted about 2 hours by which time we had made ourselves some sandwiches and I also did some strawberries which I figured wouldn't last another day anyway. I was hoping the power would come back before too long as I hadn't posted this blog. It did so I was OK. Didn't have to cook either, way to go. I am guessing that as it is very hot here at the moment, all the air conditioners were putting a strain on the local grid. Actually we turned ours off earlier because it was getting too cold. May have to turn it on again soon though, getting warm in here again. I gather it's about 90°F at the moment. We have a window thermometer which Matt does not trust. Just checked Weather Bug it is 27°C which is 80°F so maybe he is right not to trust the thermometer. Of course it's now 6:40 p.m.

I love rice noodles so this is right up my street. In fact I would likely use pecans as I find peanuts too hard to chew and I already broke one tooth. It says to cut the noodles, not sure why and not sure I would do so.

Spicy Asian Noodles with Chicken

Bring the flavor of your favorite takeout to the dinner table in just 30 minutes. Add a snow pea sauté to complete the meal. This dish can also be made gluten-free; just be sure to check the labels on some Asian condiments that may contain hidden gluten.
  • Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 3/4 cups)

Ingredients

  • 1 tablespoon dark sesame oil, divided
  • 1 tablespoon grated peeled fresh ginger
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 2 cups chopped roasted skinless, boneless chicken breasts
  • 1/2 cup chopped green onions
  • 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
  • 3 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce {Check for Gluten}
  • 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
  • 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce {Check for Gluten}
  • 2 teaspoons sambal oelek (ground fresh chile paste)
  • 1 (6.75-ounce) package thin rice sticks (rice-flour noodles)
  • 2 tablespoons chopped dry-roasted peanuts

Preparation

1. Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a small skillet over medium-high heat. Add ginger and garlic to pan; cook 45 seconds, stirring constantly. Place in a large bowl. Stir in remaining 1 teaspoon oil, chicken, and next 6 ingredients (through sambal).
2. Cook noodles according to package directions. Drain and rinse under cold water; drain. Cut noodles into smaller pieces. Add noodles to bowl; toss well to coat. Sprinkle with peanuts.


Have a great day
 

26 comments:

  1. Our generation is certainly reaping the consequences of our love affair with the sun, aren't we. At least Matt's aren't immediately dangerous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trouble is we didn't know Helen. Bit like smoking, we didn't know how dangerous that was either. I still sit in the sun but the creams I use every day all contain sun bloc of one kind or another.

      Delete
    2. We didn't, did we, and I was one of those kids who didn't burn so it seemed harmless. Like you I use a moisturiser with sunscreen in it these days and I keep a hat by the door to put on when I go outside. So far I've been lucky with just a few keratoses burnt off but one of my brothers, the only one us who sunburned easily and has always, even as a child, been very careful to wear hats and protective clothing, has a lot of potentially cancerous sun damage.

      Delete
    3. I don't wear a hat and so far I have had no skin problems but fingers crossed I won't in future Helen.

      Delete
  2. Even if those spots aren't dangerous, I'd still be concerned. Glad I've never been one for getting sun.
    Now that sounds like an awesome recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As a kid Matt was always outside, not particularly sitting in the sun but biking, playing sports, swimming, etc. etc.

      Yup can't beat Asian noodles Alex.

      Delete
  3. I just noticed a bunch of spots on my right thigh which were never there before and they are raised, not just spots. And I don't even sit in the sun all that much, just sometimes I'll read on the deck. I'm certainly not out as much as my beach loving friends! Although I'm bad, I don't use sunblock like I should. We're having some very hot weather here as well. I'm not a fan, but it's better than snow and ice cold.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should definitely get them checked JoJo. We just didn't know as kids how dangerous it was to be outside without protection. I use skin creams a lot and today most skin creams contain sun bloc.

      Delete
  4. Well, I'm glad they aren't dangerous. My mom gets those sometimes, but they're easily zapped off. Hurray for current medical technology!

    I'm not so much a fan of this style of Asian noodles. I like a good pad thai with shrimp. Oh, and the verdict is in. Cognac is a winner. Tried some on a New York sirloin - flaming - and loved it. Next week - without flame.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's still got to have them excised Bryan. How long before he gets to see the surgeon, who knows, they are all so desperately busy.

      I like Asian noodles any way. So glad you liked the Cognac. Unless you are wealthy you couldn't afford to flame every time I guess.

      Delete
  5. The Big C is scary no matter what.

    That bottle of nail polish must've hit just right to break.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right Diane, it is.

      I suppose it did. It was one hell of a mess. Glad I didn't have to help clean it up.

      Delete
  6. Glad the power wasn't off for longer than that period of time; I'm sure you are right if there were so many air conditioners draining the system. So true about our younger days when we went out in the sun without any protection on our skin; now so many affected with various types of skin cancer.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Betty, I always worry about freezers etc. I am lucky so far.

      Delete
  7. Glad those spots weren't more dangerous. Nail polish is horrible to clean up, but a shattered bottle, wow, what a mess. Glad you enjoyed your visit. It's hot here too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too Yolanda. Never had that happen to me and I hope I never will. As you said, what a mess.

      It's cooled down a bit now.

      Delete
  8. I had a skin cancer lasered out before I turned forty. I dread what's going to pop out when I get to my sixties. I lived in the tropical sun when I was a kid. If I wasn't in the pool or at the beach I was running around the yard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same with us Pinky, not tropical, but it got pretty hot and we never worried about it. Mind you I was always a wuss with the heat so maybe that protected me a bit.

      Delete
  9. I am glad your hubby got tested and is being looked after. Back in the day the ads were for bronzing your skin. I have stopped sunning myself for years now. This sounds like a great recipe to try

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Birgit, but seeing the surgeon could take forever.

      So true. Used to spend hours getting ourselves a decent tan. I still sit in the sun but in small doses and with sun bloc too.

      Delete
  10. My gram had those as well. Hope his remain danger-free.

    I would make this one. Looks good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so too Ivy. Got to see the surgeon yet though.

      Does look good, haven't tried it yet.

      Delete
    2. Does not having seen him yet, bring you stress? How are the dizzy spells?

      Delete
    3. Yes and no. We do have to wait quite a bit for surgeons as they are extremely busy. Very rare most of the time.

      Delete
    4. Yikes but understandable.

      Here's the getting to see the surgeon soon and getting things to non-dizzy status for good.

      Delete
    5. A lot of our surgeons disappear into the States where they can make even more money sadly.

      Thought you were off to lunch Ivy.

      Delete