Thursday, July 23, 2015

Bananas, Bowling and Fowling.


In one of the many emails I get regarding food, I read a tip for keeping bananas fresh. I have been putting some in the fridge and that doesn't do a lot but this tip said to wrap the stems. Matt and I eat bananas every day (me for the help with cramp, of which I get a lot) so we have 14 bananas each week. I decided to try this tip. I didn't do all of them, left a few untouched for the first couple of days or so. I will be interested to see if it works. I hate soft mushy bananas but Matt doesn't mind them. They are OK in a smoothie, but to eat just as a fruit, no thank you. I would like to shop for bananas twice a week but Matt thinks that's nuts. We do drive by the store quite a bit though.

Wednesday League bowling was pretty good for both of us. Not only that, our team beat the others and got 7 points. Just started actually figuring that never bothered before. We are still in third place not sure what place we are in after today.

So it turned out that one of the proprietors at the bowling alley has been playing 'fowling' with his sons for a couple of years. 5 pins instead of 10 of course. They tell me it's great fun but almost impossible to get a strike. One of the sons told me the only strike was scored by his brother's girlfriend. I would like to try it but unlikely I guess. Of course the name makes me think of hunting birds not playing a game. I have to force myself to pronounce it the same as bowling instead of the way I am used to pronouncing that word.

Matt and I used to do something similar on the barbecue, when we had one. We used to cut the onion as below but in 4 not 6 and put a good dollop of butter on it and sprinkle it with salt. Wrap it in foil and put it on the barbecue. Delicious. We also did one onion per person. Obviously, Vidalia onions are not available everywhere so just use a good sweet onion.

Grilled Onion Blossom

Kraft Kitchens
Serves 4

1 lge Vidalia onion
3 Tbs Grated Parmesan
2 Tbs Original A.1 Sauce

Heat grill to medium-high heat.

Peel onion; partially cut into 6 wedges, being careful to not cut through to bottom of onion.

Place on large sheet of foil. Gently pull onion wedges apart; sprinkle with cheese. Drizzle with steak sauce. Wrap tightly with foil.

Grill 40 min. or until onion is tender and lightly browned

Have a great day

21 comments:

  1. Hi Jo - I'm hovering in the background .. I liked the idea of the Onions - might try that. I'll be interested to know the outcome of the bananas ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Hilary, nice to see you, I knew you were around as I have seen the odd comment here and there. Me too, I really would like to avoid soft, mushy bananas.

      Delete
  2. I tried that idea with the plastic on the banana stem...couldn't really tell if it worked or not. Was this post inspired by my facebook status about buying them to watch them die on my counter? lol And I've been saying 'fowling' like 'fouling' not 'fo-ling'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear, I was hoping it would be a great solution JoJo. No, it wasn't your post, just coincidence that I happened to see this tip yesterday. I know I am having trouble with the word too.

      Delete
  3. I just freeze mine if they get a bit ripe, then use them in smoothies as a substitute for ice cream. Yummy. Bananas are one of my favourite foods. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's OK Denise, but I eat a banana every day for cramp so don't want to miss out by freezing any. I also make a banana ice cream from frozen banana slightly thawed and cocoa.

      Delete
  4. Let us know about the bananas. We don't eat that many here, in fact I'm the only one that likes them now that son moved out, but I'm with you; I don't like when they are mushy; I like a bit of firmness to them.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will certainly do so. I will know if it works by Monday I guess. I like them firm too. Putting them in the fridge makes the skins go black but the flesh stays firmer than if left out.

      Delete
  5. I had read and heard that the worst is to keep bananas in a fridge-they will turn black pretty fast and mushy. When bananas get too ripe I make banana cake for my hubby. He loves onions so I wonder how my hubby will like this recipe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No only the skins go black Birgit. The fruit itself stays firmer than if left out.

      Onions cooked this way are great.

      Delete
  6. Grilled onion, now that sounds killer.

    My organic bananas always come with the stems part wrapped super duper tight. It does help. Though I never put them in the fridge. I do put them in the freezer for ice cream though. So good.

    Okay, you are my last stop. I'm headed off for an hour walk/run session. Have a most excellent day and boogie boogie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are good Ivy. I hope wrapping the stems will help.

      Have a good walk/run session.

      Delete
  7. I like bananas with some green stripes. My husband eats them at any stage. So it works out. But I will try wrapping the stem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same with my husband Susan. I am so hoping this works.

      Delete
  8. Is it the potassium in bananas that helps with the cramps? Excellent tip for keeping them fresh Jo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would think so Pinky. But it does help. I hope it works and keeps them fresh.

      Emailed you again the other day, about squash, and it came back.

      Delete
  9. I saw the banana tip on FB. Not sure if this link will work but its interesting about pineapple storage also as we eat lots of fresh pineapple: http://faithtap.com/3050/25-food-storage-tips/

    Take a look at this You Tube video showing how to revive a 'black' banana using uncooked rice and a hairdryer. Apparently it works with other over-rip fruit too https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=21&v=ttjhOZjL59w

    ps: I like the onion idea - what is A1 sauce Jo, is it like HP or worcester sauce?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will have a look at those links later Sue, thanks. Don't eat much pineapple for some reason, not sure why, I love it. Reviving a black banana might be useful.

      I guess A1 is most like HP not that I use either very much. I would have to buy it specially for this recipe.

      Delete
  10. I'll be interested to see if the plastic trick works. When I was at a retreat once the organiser wrapped the bananas in newspaper then put them in the fridge to keep them longer and stop them turning black. They did stay looking and tasting good for nearly a week. Since then I've experimented and found that putting them in any wrapping that blocks the light seems to help keep them. They do eventually go off, of course, but it seems to be slowed down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too Helen. I don't mind the skins going black which can happen even if the fruit is still firm. Putting them in the fridge does work that way but still not as good as the first few days.

      Delete