Monday, May 25, 2015

Renting Movies and stuff.

Saving Mr. BanksGuess I must be a tad slow on the uptake. I have only recently realised I can borrow all kinds of DVDs from my local library and it doesn’t cost me a cent. How dumb can you get. I have been buying them or renting them on iTunes when all the time I could get them for nothing. A while back I watched Saving Mr. Banks on iTunes – Saturday night I watched it again. It’s a great movie. I just might buy it anyway. Two of today's best actors, Tom Hanks and Emma Thompson play the lead parts and they are, as usual, brilliant. It’s such a lovely story about Walt Disney and P.L. Travers who wrote the Mary Poppins books. I now have a yen to see Mary Poppins again. I have it on VCR so I must unearth it.  I have other movies on request now, unfortunately some of them are so popular it’s going to take a while. The American Sniper has several hundred waiting for it although they have 50 copies.

For those of you who read about my dizzy episode last week, I discovered a bruise on my back. I thought I had just slid down the wall, but I guess I hit something. Maybe the hand rails. Who knows. No, I haven’t seen the doc yet. I don’t think it’s urgent and she is on vacation for another week.

Having missed our Thursday bowling, I think we will be going this aft instead.

I have always like cooking things in parcels. No muss no fuss. Little clean up. Unfortunately this one doesn’t come with a picture. It’s pretty simple to do though.


Asparagus Dinner Parcels

1 lb and a bit white fish fillets (sole, orange roughy, haddock)
4 tsp lemon juiceAsparagus2
16 medium Ontario asparagus spears, trimmed to 6 inches
1 medium tomato, seeded and chopped
2 green onions sliced
2 Tbs chopped fresh dill, cilantro or tarragon (or 2 tsp. dried dill weed or tarragon)
salt and pepper

1. Preheat oven to 400ºF (200ºC). Cut four 12 x 13-inch rectangles of parchment paper (foil may be substituted if cooking in a conventional oven). Fold in half lengthwise and crease. Open each one. Arrange fish fillets on one side of each rectangle. Drizzle evenly with lemon juice. Place four asparagus spears on top of each fillet. Sprinkle tomato, onion and herbs evenly over asparagus. Season with salt and pepper. Fold other half of paper over. Seal completely by making a double 1/2 inch fold on all cut edges. Place parcels on a baking sheet. Bake in preheated oven about 10 minutes or until fish flakes and asparagus is tender-crisp. (If using parchment paper you can microwave on full power 9 to 10 minutes. Allow to stand 5 minutes). Serve on individual plates.

Servings: 4
Source: Ontario Asparagus Growers Marketing

Have a great day
Jo_thumb[2]

28 comments:

  1. I see you have been hit with the same spam comments I received right after A to Z. Anyway, please see a doctor soon to make sure you have no blood clots from your fall. I get lots of movies from our library, one of the best in the country, and take full advantage of their books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never happened before Denise. What a pain. Why on earth do people do that? I will check with the doc, never fear.

      Do you have to pay anything at your library? I understand some of them do charge. It is wonderful to have such a resource. I have always borrowed books but never thought of borrowing movies before.

      Delete
  2. I knew you could get DVDs and stuff at the library but I never use that service. I'm always gung ho to rent/borrow the stuff but then I whine and drag my feet when I have to return them. So I haven't had a library card since the 90s cause I know myself too well.

    I'm not a fish eater but that recipe looks really good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess returning stuff is a pain JoJo, but our library is only just down the road. Less than a 1/2 mile.

      You can always make it with ham slices.

      Delete
  3. It's been years since I've been to our library. It's not in the best section of town.

    I couldn't tell you where I get any of my bruises. I just run into things. Often.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a pity Diane, it is such a wonderful resource for many of us.

      I tend to do the same, run into things or bang my arms, but this I can definitely relate to my dizzy fainting spell

      Delete
  4. I just stream through Netflix so I don't have to leave the house. Or put on pants. Very worth the few bucks a month.

    At any given time I have a myriad of bruises on me. From what, I have no idea, but they're there. Maybe I'm being abused by ghosts. Maybe you are too. Kidding aside, though, I hope you're feeling better and the dizzy spell was just a random occurrence that doesn't pop up again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't have Netflix Beer Guys. I tried it once but ran out of stuff I wanted to see very quickly. Not only that, being a dummy I have no idea how to get it on my TV which has their own version of Netflix these days and we don't bother with that much either.

      Damn, I knew those ghosts were a problem. What do they use rubber chains? I hope it was random too, it lasted a long time, or seemed to.

      Delete
  5. Yum. Asparagus is one of my favorite veggies. Will have to give this recipe a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lots of recipes for asparagus from me at the moment cleemckenzie.

      Delete
  6. I'll have to check if our local library has movies to check out; I know the one in the city we used to live in does. It will be interesting to see what is available here. I did hear that Saving Mr. Banks was a good movie; I'll have to look for it sometime.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes do. I loved the movie and aim to see it again before I return it Betty

      Delete
  7. I often have mystery bruises and have no clue how that happened. I hope you will make an appointment next week when your Dr is back just to make sure all is aok. I love that film and have it in my collection. What I loved hearing was her original taped sessions in the credits. She was one difficult lady!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too Birgit. Stupid isn't it? If we bumped something hard enough for a bruise you'd think we'd remember.

      Now I've got to watch the movie again, didn't even see the taped sessions. I rarely bother with the credits I'm afraid.

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. One of my faves Alex. Along with Bloodsport LOL

      Delete
  9. When I was a child I loved! truly loved the library, and then again in college. Now, haven't been in years - but yes, what a great idea - free movies. Horrible to have fallen from a dizzy spell - take care! Oh and Mr. Banks was a sweet movie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been using libraries for many a long year. Don't remember when I didn't use one. I mostly couldn't afford to buy all the books I read even though I used to have a stack of them once upon a time.

      Yes, I noticed more aches and pains bowling today. I love the Mr. Banks movie.

      Delete
  10. My mother goes to her local library every week and borrows magazines and DVDs as well as books. I saw American Sniper last weekend. It wasn't what I expected. Sienna Miller was gorgeous in it and I like Bradley Cooper and I thought it the ending was sad. It wasn't really my type of movie though. I don't like movies about war in general.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But you don't Pinky?

      I wonder if I will like it then, I am a bit the same about war movies. You know he got killed?

      Delete
  11. Hope you get better and it's nothing serious. Mary Poppins is a great movie. Saw it on BroadwAy a couple of years ago. Great show to see in a theatre. And thank you for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shelly, I don't think it is but get it checked. I love stage shows, don't get to see them any more but I do remember seeing Sound of Music on stage in London a looooong time ago. There is a local theatre group in Ontario which I go and see now and again.

      Delete
  12. Sorry to read about your neck. I have a friend who loves renting free from the library. Great stuff. Back when I traveled a lot, I always got books on tape, from them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Back Dixie, not neck. I have done that and also rented books on disc which I used to play whilst on my treadmill. Trouble is they often ended up having been abused by previous readers and sometimes there were bad patches.

      Delete
  13. Jo, sorry to hear about your dizzy spell and that you had a fall. It's so great the services the public libraries bring. They even provide quite recent movies these days, but I still enjoy going to the huge IMAX theatre when there's movie I want to see. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too Denise, 'cos now I hurt. I think libraries are great. Been to an IMAX a couple of times but only ever seen special event films, never seen an every day movie there. Don't go to the movies much anyway, Matt won't go, says they are too noisy.

      Delete
  14. I knew about being able to borrow DVDs but I've never actually gotten around to it. We don't go to movies much - I agree with Matt that they're too noisy and always use earplugs - but I suspect we're missing out on a lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should, there are some great films around Helen. I go to the cinema now and again and it is a fact they are better on the big screen. I find you get used to the noise quite quickly.

      Delete