Friday, February 20, 2015

Don’t Starve

I’m not really blogging yet, but I was just concerned you might all be hungry unless I sent you a recipe. I saw this one and just had to share it. It might even tempt me during my current lack of desire to eat anything at all.

  reubens

Focaccia Reubens

Contributed by Dennis Leary

  • SERVINGS: 4
At The Sentinel, Dennis Leary's riff on a Reuben uses locally made corned beef and fresh focaccia, but the sandwiches are just as delicious with top-quality deli corned beef and store-bought flatbreads.
 
  1. One 1/2-pound green cabbage, thinly sliced (4 cups)
  2. 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
  3. 1 tablespoon sugar
  4. 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
  5. Four 4-by-6-inch pieces of focaccia, split
  6. 1/4 cup ketchup
  7. 1/4 cup mayonnaise
  8. Eight 1/4-inch-thick slices of Gruyère cheese (4 ounces)
  9. 1/2 pound thinly sliced corned beef
  10. 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
  1. In a large bowl, toss the cabbage with the vinegar, sugar and salt. Let stand at room temperature, tossing occasionally, until softened, about 30 minutes.
  2. Heat a panini press or griddle. Arrange the focaccia on a work surface, cut sides up. In a small bowl, combine the ketchup with the mayonnaise. Spread the dressing on the bottom halves of the focaccia. Set a slice of Gruyère on the dressing. Top with the corned beef, pickled cabbage and the remaining slices of Gruyère. Close the sandwiches and spread the outsides of the focaccia with the softened butter.
  3. Add the sandwiches to the press and cook over moderate heat until the cheese has melted and the focaccia is crisp and golden, about 6 minutes. Cut each sandwich in half and serve right away.

Have a great weekend
Jo



14 comments:

  1. Still sick eh? I hope you are at least feeling a little bit better by now!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup 'fraid so although the hospital tell me the antibiotics are doing their job and the infections throughout my system are decreasing.

      How are you guys doing with the snow?

      Delete
  2. I'm so sorry you've not fully recovered. Thank you for the sandwich - I was beginning to wonder if I'd ever a pretty dish. This will do!!! (smile)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dixie. Probably another week before all the infection has gone. This does look good doesn't it?

      Delete
  3. Any infection is horrible but the side effects from antibiotics are horrible too. I hope you feel much better very soon Jo. Is Matt coddling you and spoiling you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't they just! I was worried about you guys. Hope all well in your neck of the woods.

      Sort of.

      Delete
  4. Looks pretty good though I'm still probably more partial to the good old fashioned rye bread.

    Arlee Bird
    A to Z Challenge Co-host
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
  5. My husband will love that. Hope you're feeling better soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too if I had an appetite right now. So do I Liz, so do I.

      Delete
  6. Hi Jo - hope you will recover properly soon ... that foccaccia looks good - but I still prefer chicken soup for the soul when I'm ill ...

    Take time out and rest ... take care too - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hilary, hoping you are virtually back to normal now too. Right now, food of any kind doesn't hold a lot of interest.

      Delete
  7. Late reading this but OMG am I hungry now! Thank you Jo!

    ReplyDelete