Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Snow, Cosby, Movies.

View from BedroomAbout a month ago I posted a picture from my bedroom window of the park in f100_0903all, this picture is the park yesterday morning. You can’t tell but it was actually snowing when I took the picture.




Over the weekend we have been hearing a lot of accusations about Bill Cosby and rape or sexual molestation. I really don’t believe it because people in his profession get women throwing themselves at them so why the devil would he need to rape anyone. I think this woman is after money or notoriety.

The Theory of EverythingYesterday I was talking about a possible movie about the sci fi author Isaac Asmimov. He was also a scientist in his own right. Then I heard on Good Morning America that there are two more interesting movies in the works. One about Stephen Hawking the fantastic theoretical physicist and cosmologist called TheThe Imitation Game Theory of Everything which is a look at the relationship between he and his wife, and another about Alan Turing who is considered the father of computers. This one is called The Imitation Game. Based on the real life story of legendary cryptanalyst Alan Turing, the film portrays the nail-biting race against time by Turing and his brilliant team of code-breakers at Britain's top-secret Government Code and Cypher School at Bletchley Park, during the darkest days of World War II.  (IMDb).

This is what we had for supper on Saturday night, first time I have made this particular recipe and it was very good. A lot of people don’t like Gordon Ramsey because of his TV programmes and use of strong language. Matt derides him as a soccer player (which he once was) not a chef, no matter what, he comes up with some fabulous recipes and I use several of them. He runs successful restaurants in the UK and I wish I could eat there. Not my picture by the way, much as I enjoy French Fries, I rarely eat them.

Peppered Steak with Shallot Sauce

Source: Gordon Ramsey
Author Notes
 
A good steak doesn't want too much messing about with, so follow this easy recipe and enjoys yours with a rich shallot sauce.

Servings: 4

25 g  butterPeppered Steak Shallot Sauce
4 shallots, finely sliced
4 Tbs Cognac
200 ml  red wine
200 ml  beef stock from 1/2 stock cube, hot
Oil, for frying
2 Tbs crushed black peppercorns
4 rump or sirloin steaks

1. Melt the butter in a large frying pan over a medium heat. Add the shallots and cook for 2-3 minutes, to soften. Pour in the Cognac, boil for 1 minute, then add the wine. Increase the heat and boil for a few minutes to reduce by half.
2. Meanwhile, make up the stock and pour in. Boil until reduced by half again. Stir in the butter, season to taste, and leave over a low heat.
3. Meanwhile, brush a griddle or frying pan with a little oil and place over a high heat. Press the peppercorns all over the steaks. Place in the hot pan and cook for 2-5 minutes each side, depending how you like them cooked. Remove from the pan and set aside for 2 minutes to rest.
4. Divide between plates. Pour over the sauce and serve with thin-cut oven chips and grilled vine tomatoes.

Have a great day
Jo_thumb[2]

26 comments:

  1. Hi Jo - snow?! I know you're in a cold spell ... We've got the Turning one, and the Turner one on at our local this week .. and tomorrow one on Camp 14 Total Control Zone - about a North Korean who escaped, but had been held in Camp 14 ... so lots of films on the cards .. as well as lots of other things ...

    Your steak sounds good ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. New York state is really being pasted with snow at the moment. They have had 4 ft and are getting 4 inches an hour at the moment. I don't often get to the movies as Matt won't go, I could go on my own I guess but I have never done so. Not heard about Camp 14.

      It was.

      Delete
  2. Given there are now multiple women claiming sexual molestation and that a woman brought a case against Bill Cosby back in 2004 which was settled out of court, I'm not so convinced he is innocent, Jo, It sounds very much like the Rolf Harris and Jimmy Savile cases in the UK and Robert Hughes here in Australia where powerful men take advantage of their position but we'll see once it goes to trial and it certainly sounds as if it will do that. It's sad if is true, though, because he is a wonderful comedian.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hadn't heard about those cases Helen, surprised about Rolf Harris he always seemed so wholesome. I guess we will see what happens.

      Delete
  3. It would be so sad if this is true about Bill Cosby - so many DJs have been crippled here by the allegations of sexual abuse in the aftermath of the Jimmy Saville case and even if they have been proved innocent there lives are destroyed. I agree with you Jo that women and girls were throwing themselves at these men in their young days, but people will always say there's no smoke without fire.
    I can't believe you've got snow already - it's been cold here, but hopefully the snow's a while away.
    Must try this recipe. Have you seen any of the Hairy Bikers Cookery shows? They have some great recipes too.
    Have a good week
    Fil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As Helen says, these famous men take advantage of their positions. I do think a lot of women get on the bandwagon to become famous or get money. The trouble is it's always a he says she says situation.

      Buffalo is getting pasted today, see my previous comment.

      Heard of the Hairy Bikers but never seen them.

      Delete
  4. I'm not sure what to believe about Bill Cosby. At least one of the women allowed it to continue b/c she wanted to be a star and didn't 'fess up till years later. I know he has admitted to numerous affairs over the years so it's possibly these are just scorned women. One of my cousins went to jail in the late 60s or early 70s b/c of a one night stand....she wanted more, he didn't, she cried rape, he went to jail.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just don't know what to think do you? I'm sorry about your cousin. Friend's son got in trouble with statutory rape, he wasn't very old and the girl was only just under age. Quite willing until her parents found out when she cried rape.

      Delete
  5. You are such an inspiration in that you cook dinner. I have friends in their 60's and 70's who wonder what they are going to go out and eat. Not good restaurants, usually some diner or fast food place. They have the time, they just don't cook.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know a lot of young people who don't cook either, and I have been told that young Frenchwomen are not learning the art either which I think is devastating. You used to be able to get a fabulous meal in any home in France at one time. As for me, I like good food, I enjoy preparing it although I do have trouble standing any more. A risotto is a real challenge for instance.

      Delete
  6. Great before and after shot.
    I'm really hoping the accusations against Cosby aren't true...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Jo. Your photo of the snow looks so cold and yet so pretty. Films on Asimov and Hawking - that would be interesting. I read about the Native Americans using their language as code during WWll - there are fascinating books about it. The sauce you're sharing sounds great! (As far as Mr. Cosby, I really have to stick with, "innocent until proven guilty." That attitude has served me well.)

    Have a great evening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's even colder today, been snowing off and on but where the roads are white it's because it's blowing a gale out there and scouring it off the fields, parks, whatever. Yes I remember the story of the Native Americans very well, it is quite fascinating. It's not a film about Asimov but one of his books.

      You are right, innocent until proven guilty.

      Delete
  8. That steak looks awesome!

    I can't believe it about Cosby yet either. I mean, I really love him. I grew up with the Cos. It can't be so!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was, the sauce of course is very special.

      I know what you mean Liz, we all enjoyed his programme so much.

      Delete
  9. We like him here, but Hubby and I enjoy this UK Kitchen Nightmares over the US. I also have Gordon's books and I don't get bothered by his mouthy mouth.

    If you know food, you also know he loves food and when he gets excited about fresh apples and just good things like that, well I love it.

    The book I have of his goes with videos as well. Love the learning. Very cool.

    PS: Yes, I know, healing takes time. Been resting for awhile now, thought my leg could handle sitting at the table. Now I know better.

    Thanks for taking the time to stop by. Cheers and boogie boogie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel the same way, he is really into it. Don't have a book of his, kind of given up books nowadays, I can usually find what I want on the internet.

      Hope you heal up soon, still don't know what you did to your leg.

      Delete
    2. I worked too long and walked too much one of the days last week. Over did it, and hurt my leg something terrible. Lesson learned.

      Cookery and bake books along with magazines are a treat to me. I love the feel of hard copy. Though yes, many recipes are online, makes it easy for folks to grab and make something.

      Have you watched the old Kitchen Nightmares UK?

      Delete
    3. Nasty way to hurt your leg. Hope it's getting better. I enjoy cookbooks too, but you can only store so many. I have a very comprehensive cookbook programme on my computer where I can save anything I want to keep.

      No, don't think I have. Probably don't show them here. Actually I don't watch much TV anyway.

      Delete
  10. Just looking at that photograph makes me feel a bit cooler in this 35 degree heat with 70 % humidity. It's dreadful here at the moment. I'm looking forward to that Stephen Hawking movie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I could handle that Pinky. Way too hot and humid for me. My friend in Adelaide thinks those temps are great but I assume they don't get the humidity.

      Me too Pinky.

      Delete
  11. Yay, I love steak and pepper sauce, but I'm just no good at cooking steak!! Every time we eat out hubs orders steak!

    It is a shame about Bill Cosby. I don't know whether he is innocent or not, but the fact that he paid out in the past could go against him. Painful hearing this about someone I used to enjoy watching on TV.

    Denise :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The steak is peppered, not the sauce. Cooking steak is easy, get a good iron skillet, heat until it's red hot and then plonk your steak into it. Turn it once. Leave it for as long as you need depending on how you like it.

      I do agree with what you say about Cosby.

      Delete
  12. The Bill Cosby debacle has saddened me. And I want to watch The Theory of Everything-- thanks for talking about that, I didn't know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, he was/is such a popular comedian.

      It was on Good Morning America.

      Delete