Friday, November 21, 2014

Snow, Bowling.

Right now, it’s Thsnow 005ursday morning, it’s cold and it snowing. We are lucky we haven’t had the problems which have beset New York State, but just now I couldn’t see the park right outside our windows. Driving conditions are not good and still it snows which it has been doing, on and off, for several days. Please Mother Nature give  it a rest. Not even sure we will make the bowling alley this afternoon. Starting at the weekend they are predicting warmer temperatures for the week. I hope that’s so. Although this was taken last year it looks much the Snow Roofssame right now except in the picture it isn’t still coming down. Hm, looking at that date I thought it was September 2nd but it’s February 9th. I didn’t realise my camera dated pix in the American way and why not, I bought it in the States. Because I personally can never remember which way it is, I generally write the name of the month. Now, at the end of the day, it has been snowing all day and the roads were not very good when we went bowling. I just am so very glad we are not living in Buffalo who have over 5 ft of the white stuff and it’s still coming down. The reports say roofs are collapsing under the weight.

Talking of bowling, or maybe I would rather not – Matt and I both bowled as though My Ballwe had never done so before. We couldn’t believe it. My first game I didn’t even reach 100. I am so glad it wasn’t a league game. I was having some fun with the next lane though, a young American, who lives nearby and works at the University in Hamilton, had relatives visiting from Wisconsin and they had never been 5 pin bowling before. I explained that we had our own balls which they were happy about. Then the young man who lives here accidentally used one of my balls. I pretended to be angry and we were all laughing. Later he was pretending he was going to use one again. I hope he will come again even if his family won’t be here any more. They were from Wisconsin by the way. He sounded like he had a fairly high powered job in Hamilton too. It was funny, when they started, they had no idea that you got 3 balls in 5 pin (only 2 in 10 pin) and they couldn’t understand at first why the computer wasn’t going on to the next bowler. Another couple realised what was happening and explained.

I love stuffed peppers and haven’t made them in a long while. In fact I think the last time, we made the mistake of going out and leaving them on the kitchen counter (having eaten a couple first) and came home to find nothing but the caps on the back door mat. At such times the dog would disappear and when found would grovel at us as though we whipped her regularly. At such times we used to call her ‘sod dog’. Anyway, looking for a recipe, I lost the one I used to make, I chose this one from Betty Crocker as being the most like I remember.


Stuffed Peppers

4 large bell peppers (any color)Stuffed Peppers
1 lb lean (at least 80%) ground beef
2 Tbs chopped onion
1 cup cooked rice
1 tsp salt
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
1 can (15 oz) Muir Glen™ organic tomato sauce
3/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (3 oz)

1. Cut thin slice from stem end of each bell pepper to remove top of pepper. Remove seeds and membranes; rinse peppers. If necessary, cut thin slice from bottom of each pepper so they stand up straight. In 4-quart Dutch oven, add enough water to cover peppers. Heat to boiling; add peppers. Cook about 2 minutes; drain.
2. In 10-inch skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat 8 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until beef is brown; drain. Stir in rice, salt, garlic and 1 cup of the tomato sauce; cook until hot.
3. Heat oven to 350°F.
4. Stuff peppers with beef mixture. Stand peppers upright in ungreased 8-inch square glass baking dish. Pour remaining tomato sauce over peppers.
5. Cover tightly with foil. Bake 10 minutes. Uncover and bake about 15 minutes longer or until peppers are tender. Sprinkle with cheese.

Servings: 4

Tips
* For 3 grams of fat and 190 calories per serving, substitute ground turkey breast for the ground beef; use reduced-fat cheese.
* Substitute 1 package (12 oz) frozen veggie crumbles, thawed, for the ground beef; omit onion. Omit step 2. In 10-inch nonstick skillet, cook veggie crumbles, rice, salt, garlic and 1 cup of the tomato sauce over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until hot. Continue as directed.
Source: Betty Crocker
Author Notes
Enjoy your dinner with peppers that are stuffed with ground beef and baked to perfection.

Have a great day
Jo

18 comments:

  1. Hi Jo. It is cold here but I am so glad there's no snow to contend with - yet. My home sits on top of a very steep hill. I have the best seat to watch the children sledding down it.
    Love stuffed peppers! When I use the green peppers I make Jasmine rice for it's sweetness. Many times I use the turkey. Good possibility of seeing my table this weekend. Have a great one yourself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Been watching the pictures of South Buffalo this morning. They really do have snow. People wading through it and it's up to their waists. We are also on a hill and there is a sledding area right by us (it's actually the top of our underground parking).

      As I said, haven't made them in years.

      Delete
  2. At least the snow makes for beautiful pictures, but it must not be easy doing your daily activities like that. Those stuffed peppers look amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The ploughs have been out already this morning. I just hope we can go to our pig tail feast tomorrow OK.

      Delete
  3. I'm glad you're not having the same problems they're having in Buffalo and elsewhere. Snow looks very pretty but it can make life difficult. We are having very different weather with summer coming and the temperature is expected to reach 36 C by Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So am I Helen. 36°C would give me a problem though. I don't envy you that.

      Delete
  4. Hi Jo ... I've seen the news and frankly reminded me of the 62/63 winter that I lived through ... with snowbank piled up ... dreadful - though I was ill for a while before we set off from Woking to Oxford for my school term.

    The weather looks really quite awful and more snow tonight I gather before it starts to thaw over the weekend ...

    I bought some peppers for a lunch, but plans slightly changed, and now I can stuff them .. good idea ... I'll be using ham and then perhaps chipolatas - got used to those now ... with a good tasty sauce ...

    Must dash - have a visitor .. cheers and hope everyone will be well in the snow - Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember that winter, we were living in Rochester, Kent and went some distance away in the car. It broke down and we had to walk miles in the snow to get home. I also remember I had a migraine. We haven't done so badly here, but just south of us in Buffalo they have really taken a pasting. 6ft is not funny.

    Never heard of putting chipolatas in peppers but I guess no reason why not.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi human, Jo,

    There sure had some snow in places like Buffalo.

    I tried ten pin bowling one time. However, I could not get my paw into the holes. My human is trying to get five pin bowling established in Britain. There was a bi-election in Rochester, Strood, yesterday.

    Pawsitive wishes,

    Penny

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Penny you are right, they had a lot of the stuff.

      We have done 10 pin in the States. Although there are a couple of 10 pin places locally we never go. Much prefer 5. I can imagine you would have difficulty getting your paws in those holes. I hope your human is successful, it's much more fun, in my opinion.

      Was there? I wonder who got in?


      Delete
  7. It's wicked cold here too but at least it's sunny. I can live w/o snow. I recently made stuffed pepper soup which was quite good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like to look at snow but that's it. That recipe sounds interesting.

      Delete
  8. I've been watching the television reports about the snow in Buffalo. They say there may be flooding when the snow melts. It's all so alien to me who has only ever seen snow three times in my life. I can see what a nuisance it would be. Thank you for the low calorie version of those stuffed peppers!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, they have shipped out a large number of truck loads of snow out of the city. This is an unusual even thought, to have this much snow in one hit. They are supposed to get rain this weekend and on top of 6 ft of snow that would definitely cause flooding.

    Yer welcum Pinky.

    ReplyDelete