Saturday, November 22, 2014

Saturday Recipe

This one turned up on My Recipes this week. I like polenta although I am sorry we cannot buy it made up here. Used to get it at Food Lion in NC; it came in tubes and one could cut off slices as required.

Smoky Shrimp and Parmesan-Polenta Cakes



Invite company over for this gourmet-inspired dish that's a snap to make. Serve with salad greens splashed with vinaigrette.

1 pound peeled and deveined medium shrimp 1/4 cup dry white wine
1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon Spanish smoked paprika
1 17-ounce tube polenta, cut into 8 (1/2-inch) slices
Cooking spray
8 teaspoons marinara sauce 
8 teaspoons grated fresh Parmesan cheese
1 tablespoon chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley

Preparation


1. Preheat broiler.
2. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add shrimp to pan; sauté 3 minutes or until done, stirring frequently. Remove from heat; stir in wine, chives, juice, and paprika, tossing to coat. Keep warm.
3. Place polenta slices on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Top each slice with 1 teaspoon sauce and 1 teaspoon cheese; broil 3 minutes or until cheese melts. Place 2 polenta slices on each of 4 plates; top each serving evenly with shrimp mixture. Sprinkle with parsley.

Have a great weekend
Jo_thumb[2]

15 comments:

  1. Not a fan of store-bought. Homemade for me, please.

    Hope you have a great weekend. Cheers and boogie boogie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Generally I agree, but one has to buy such a big bag of the stuff and not something I make very often, besides which I preferred what I got in the store.

      Great weekend to you too Ivy.

      Delete
    2. Oh my sorry such a big bag only. We have small bags or big here.

      Delete
  2. I've never been a fan of polenta, but it's showing up a lot these days - maybe it's time to give it another go. Have a good weekend Jo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's best when it's flavoured with something otherwise it can be very bland.

      Hope you have a good weekend too.

      Delete
  3. Hi Jo - I reckon you could use semolina for this - similar to gnocchi - that's what I'd use .. and I love semolina gnocchi - and with parmesan - would perfectly fit this recipe ... I go with Happy Whisk .. I really dislike most bought products ..

    Cheers and hope that snow goes without too many further disasters .. Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I said above, I generally agree, but I preferred the 'bought' I used to get apart from having a bag of polenta hanging round. Don't think I have ever tried semolina gnocchi and I do not like potato gnocchi.

      Worried about freezing rain right now.

      Delete
  4. I've seen it in our stores too, already made. I've never tried it though. Some Italian I am!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I am getting it in the neck for buying ready made, but I like it so long as you add Parmesan.

      Delete
  5. Hi Jo. That sounds absolutely divine! Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds delish Jo! I love your seafood recipes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. D'you have easy access to fresh seafood Pinky? We did in NC but not so much here although it's better than it used to be. We are 1,000 miles from the ocean after all.

      Delete