Saturday, November 1, 2014

Saturday Recipe

I hope you all enjoyed Hallowe’en yesterday. I can't believe it's November.

This is a very simple dish I have served many times as a starter. However, I often add a little Brie cheese and a few pieces of chopped up ham which I put in underneath the eggs. Makes it richer and more special.

Convent eggs


Rich and creamy, Convent eggs look most attractive if served in individual cocottes or ramekin dishes.

ingredients

1 tbsp butter, softened
4 eggs
Salt and freshly ground
black pepper
4 tbsp fresh double cream

method

1. Brush the insides of the cocottes or ramekins with the butter. Break in the eggs, season to taste with salt and pepper, then carefully spoon 1 tbsp cream over each egg.
2. Place in a roasting tin half-full of hot water and cover with buttered greaseproof paper or foil. Bake in a moderate oven (180°C/350°F or Gas Mark 4) for 10 to 15 minutes or until the eggs are set.
3. Serve immediately.

Have a great weekend.
Jo_thumb[2]

20 comments:

  1. I shouldn't read your blog at night. It always makes me want to snack!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have an apple hand Liz or some popcorn

      Delete
    2. Actually I never eat apples, perhaps I should say rarely, not sure why but don't enjoy them much. Popcorn on the other hand....

      Delete
  2. Like the look of this one, and the simplicity Jo. Do you serve them with bread or anything?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No I never have, I guess there's no reason why not though.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. They are JoJo. I sent a reply before, disappeared in cyber space I guess.

      Delete
  4. I also can't believe it's November.

    I'm not an egg fan, but I've been eating egg whites today - mixed with other things (tomato, spinach). Thank goodness I was charitable and gave out the last of my Halloween candy. I had to go healthy instead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love this dish. As for candy, I haven't had one taste. Boo Hoo

      Delete
  5. What a lovely, quick and simple recipe. I love eggs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I often do it in the microwave Pinky although I don't think it's as good.

      Delete
  6. I've never hear of Convent Eggs, but not much of an egg person. And I can't believe it's November either. Still refusing to turn on the boiler, although I've got a space heater going in the living room. Until the temps hit 32 degrees, I'm holding off - I say that and then read it getting close to that tonight! Damn!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really like these eggs. Thank goodness the heat is on in this building. We actually had a bit of snow last night. Didn't last long.

      Delete
  7. Another delicious recipe! Thanks Jo!

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks much more tasting than the scrambled eggs I fry up in a cast iron skillet then eat straight from the pan. Wifey hates it when I do that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not surprised she hates it. If I am just making scrambled eggs for me, I make them in the microwave these days. Quicker and cleaner.

      Delete
  9. We have a frightastic Halloween weekend. Your food always looks yummy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. We don't see much of Hallowe'en as we live in an apartment block.

      Delete