Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Meadowbank, Loonie.

This morning (Tuesday) I had a chat with a friend in England. I hadn’t spoken to them for a long time. She happened to mention a street close to her and I remembered we used to live there when I was about 8 years old. Meadowbank, St. Margaret St., Rochester. I googled it and there is still an address for a Meadowbank, but it doesn’t look anything like the house I remember which was Georgian I think. It is at 92 according to the google info but that is not the same house at all. I wonder what happened to it. I can’t imagine it would have been knocked down

LoonieI gather, from the news headlines, that our dollar (Loonie) has sunk to an all time low because of the sinking gas prices. No wonder it cost me heftily when I exchanged some dollars today. In case you are unaware, it is called a Loonie because of the picture of one on the back of the coin. We also have a toonie of course which just follows from being worth two Loonies I guess. I’m not sure where this picture came from as all the Loonies we have the bird is just floating in the water. I guess, looking at it, it was for the Olympic games.

Today, in England, is Guy Fawkes Day when Guy Fawkes is burned in effigy throughout the country because of his involvement in trying to blow up the houses of parliament whilst the king was there.

Remember, Remember the 5th of November
Gunpowder, treason and plot
I see no reason why gunpowder treason
Should ever be forgot.

I have never made pierogis but I have a friend in NC who does and I used to devour them. This recipe looked pretty simple. I have copied it with instruction pictures as well. It was on the P and G website (Proctor and Gamble) as I used to work for them, many years ago, I think I should be able to borrow their recipes.

Homemade Pierogi Recipe

Homemade Pierogi Recipe
By: Jackie Bruchez
 
No need to buy the frozen version when this version is much fresher and just as quick! 
 
Pierogies are Polish noodle dumplings that can be filled with a variety of mixes. Traditionally, it’s a very time consuming dish to make, but this quick recipe takes about half the time. You’ll have a delicious meal or snack on the table in no time!

Serves: 4

Ingredients1 package fresh lasagne sheets*
225 grams (1/2 pound) potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch slices
30 mL (2 tbsp) unsalted butter, melted
1 mL (1/4 tsp) kosher salt
1 mL (1/4 tsp) ground pepper
250 mL (1 cup) grated dry farmer's cheese
75 mL (1/3 cup) sour cream

*Tip: To make simple homemade pierogi dough, combine 225 grams (8 ounces) of sour cream, 625 mL (2 1/2 cups) of flour, 15 mL (1 tbsp) softened butter, 1 egg and 1 egg yolk. Knead together and roll flat.

Instructions
In a medium saucepan, bring potatoes to boil. Cook until fork tender. Once cooked, drain and mash with a fork. Add salt, pepper and melted butter and stir
  1. Mix in shredded cheese with mashed potatoes
  2. Cut fresh lasagne pieces into 7 1/2-centimetre (3-inch) rounds using a cookie cutter or a glass
  3. Place 15 mL (1 tbsp) of mashed potatoes in the centre of the dough round
  4. Wet the edges of the round and bring both sides to meet each other to make a half-moon shape. Pinch close and press edges shut with the edge of a fork
  5. Heat a tablespoon of butter or oil in a pan over medium heat and briefly sauté the pierogis until they are slightly crispy and brown on the exterior. Then add 15 mL (1 tbsp) of water, cover the pan and steam for about 3 minutes. Remove and cook until water has dissolved
  6. When they are browned on one side, flip the pierogis and pour a few mL of water in the pan and cover to steam for about 3 minutes
  7. Remove cover and cook until the water has dissolved. Place pierogis on a serving dish and serve with a dollop of sour cream
Filling SuggestionsPierogies are also delicious when filled with a caramelized onions, bacon, sauerkraut and horseradish. Simply make the pierogis as instructed above, but add the additional desired ingredient on top of the mashed potato before closing the round.

Have a great day
Jo

20 comments:

  1. I looooooooove pierogies!!!! My dad used to make them (not from scratch) when I was a kid. When I make them, I like to sautee them with red bell peppers, onions, sugar snap peas and some frozen peas thrown in for good measure.

    I remember in around 2003, your loonie dropped so low that vacationing in BC was a fairly inexpensive trip. We got a decent amount for our American money.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are good aren't they? I think I will have to try making them. I like the way you prepare them, sounds good.

      I think you'd have a pretty cheap holiday again now JoJo.

      Delete
  2. I've never heard of pierogies. I wonder if I could make it vegan?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You do surprise me. Get down to Bogue and my friend will make you some LOL. I think you could fill them with whatever you liked, presumably you eat potatoes, you could just season the potato well.

      Delete
  3. Sorry your Loonie is dropping, but not sorry gas prices are also dropping.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love that recipe. It is very easy to make lasagne pasta too if you wanted to go all out. Our dollar has dropped against nearly every currency too. Never can quite get my head around the whys and wherefores of that!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In this case it's supposed to be something to do with the Arabs slashing the price of gas. OPEC. Great for drivers, not so good for Alberta which produces gasoline and sells it to the US.

      Delete
    2. I'm not sure if my comment went through. I'll check back.

      Delete
    3. Let's try again. I discovered my Grandmother's old home had burned to the ground. It was just a visit across town because I felt nostalgic. Missing her, missing the rose garden & things. It was bad - charred pieces of the home still lay on ground. It look like it had happened a while back though. But what a shock!
      I think our entire economy has gone "Loonie".
      Thank you for the pierogi dough recipe. I'd love to make them fresh! I just happen to have some leftover ham. Well see. Thank you Jo.

      Delete
    4. That's sad - I hope that's not what happened to our old house. It would be a shock.

      Your'e welcome.

      Delete
  5. Jo Jo Jo, been too long since I dropped by. I drive through Bloggertown so infrequently of late. I'm glad to finally know now what Guy Fawkes Day is all about. I was too ashamed to ask and too scattered to Google. (Lame excuse, I know.) Always good to get in touch with "long lost" friends. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Jeff, you've been missed. Don't be such a stranger.

      The whole Guy Fawkes thing is a bit of a mystery because there is no basement where they could have placed explosives.

      Hope to see you soon Sir Dragon Knight.

      Delete
  6. So that's where the Loonie Bird saying came from. I didn't know. We used to celebrate Guy Fawkes day in Australia with fireworks when I was a kid until it was banned because of fire hazards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From the Loon itself which is a water bird. They have the most haunting call.
      Fireworks can be dangerous, pity it was banned though.

      Delete
  7. Just made pierogies this week. We have them all the time. Lovely. So yummy. We grew up eating them. But inside we use onions with the potatoes and then more on top with a nice butter oil sauce and sour cream. But any filling will do. My mom loves cabbage in hers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've had a few different fillings, they are delicious. But I've never made them myself.

      Delete
  8. Yumm, pierogies! I only like them with the farmers cheese inside.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've had several fillings. They were all good.

      Delete