Monday, November 17, 2014

Foundation, Starquake, Exhibition Entry. Snow.

FoundationThe other day I read that Isaac Asimov’s book Foundation might be coming to TV in the future. Now that is something I would like to see. Asimov was one of my most favourite authors, he is still very high on my list and many of his stories have been realised by modern science. He was a scientist himself of course. Foundation was the first in a whole series, I don’t know if the intention is to make all the books into a programme or what. If they don’t screw Starquakeit up, it will be well worth watching. Talking of books, I was raving about Dragon’s Egg by Robert L. Forward, I am now reading the second book, Star Quake. I think Forward’s imagination is incredible, this about a tiny neutron world that lives 1 1/2 years in one of our minutes, or 100 years in an hour. When found by an exploration spaceship they were savages whom humans began to teach, within a day and a half they had stripped human civilisation and become our teachers instead. The second book is about a major starquake which takes place on the neutron star and the human efforts to help at risk of their own lives.

RosesThis is a picture of an entry in an art exhibition in New Orleans, I think it is most attractive - Prospect, New Orleans’s biennial art exhibition, features work by more than 50 artists in locations throughout the Big Easy. Will Ryman’s three-story-tall Icon (pictured above) currently blooms in City Park. Catch the show through January 25, 2015. In this picture it doesn’t look 3 storeys tall though. I would love to see all the entries in this exhibition if this is anything to go by. There is an artist locally who makes metal exhibits some of which he puts along the roadside of his property. They don't really mean a lot and are really just lumps of metal welded together and then painted, however, I don't really know why but I like them, they are extremely unusual. If I had a yard, and presumably enough money, I wouldn't mind having one.

I forgot to mention it's been snowing off and on all weekend, flurries I guess, only once, so far, has it covered the road and that didn't last long.

I think these are a brilliant idea – I saw them in a soup recipe and couldn’t make out what they were at first. The are picture here on a bowl of very anaemic looking tomato soup. Mine is bright red.


Grilled Cheese Croutons

4 slices white breadGrilled Cheese croutons
2 tbsp margarine
2 slices cheddar cheese

For the croutons, spread margarine on both sides of bread slices. Heat a frying pan over medium heat and place 2 slices in the pan. Top each with 1 slice of cheese and place remaining bread slices on the cheese. Cook for 2 minutes, until underside is golden brown, flip and cook 1-2 minutes more. Remove from pan, cooling a few minutes before slicing. Cut into 1-inch squares and sprinkle a small handful on each bowl of soup.

Have a great day
Jo_thumb[2]

30 comments:

  1. Asimov is my favorite scifi author too, so would love to see his work in movies! Foundation and all its various parts is a fantastic story. Did you read any of the followup stories by the The three B's? (David Brin, Greg Bear, and G. Benford) They had the approval of the Asimov Foundation. It wasn't Asimov but it wasn't bad. Each author wrote one book based on the Foundation settings. Also, I agree on Dragons Egg and Starquake. You have good taste, IMO, and I don't mean your recipes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks DG. No, I haven't read the followups, I will look out for them. I just saw on TV an ad for The Theory of Everything which is a film about Stephen Hawking, now that is a movie I would love to see. A fantastic man. As for Starquake, I am really enjoying it. What about Ray Bradbury?

      Delete
  2. Hi Jo ... I don't know much about Asimov .. so it's good to read your thoughts and then read DGs ...

    The sculpture would be interesting to see .. as would the others ...

    Cheese on toast - a staple for lunch when I was growing up .. often with chutney ... delicious .. cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Asimov and Ray Bradbury were my 'introducers' to science fiction. Absolutely great authors and even in his own lifetime Asimov saw things he had written about coming to pass.

      Cheese on toast was a staple, but I had never thought about making them into croutons.

      Delete
  3. I'm looking forward to some snow here. And then warming myself up with that hot, melted cheese ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't wait until we start getting snow, although last year it was almost too much.

    3 stories tall? That's a big flower.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you get snow every year where you live? We certainly didn't on the coast, although we did get 18 inches one Christmas.

      Delete
  5. The snow's finally melting. It was piled up high and very, very cold here. I'm glad for a little sunshine.

    Also, my uncle is a welder who makes metal sculptures. I know what you mean. They're just metal pieces welded together, but they have a uniqueness and a fun creativity to them that makes them quite enjoyable. We have quite a few of his pieces in our yard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We haven't had that much yet, I'm pleased to say.

      They are fascinating.

      Delete
  6. I'd eat those croutons.
    Would it surprise you to know I am not a fan of Asimov? I did hear they were working on something for that book though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too Alex.

      Yes, it does surprise me I thought he was a great sf writer.

      Delete
  7. The name rings a bell but I don't think I have read something from him.
    I do like the roses too. They are dragon size!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Asimov, but then Alex says he is not a fan. If you have a library, do try and get something of his to read.

      Never thought of them being dragon size.

      Delete
  8. I know a lot of people who love Asimov but I find my mind wandering within the first sentence or two. But then again I'm not a fan of sci fi books anyway. I would like to read 'the day the icicle works closed' because I like the name Icicle Works and they were a band in the 80s.

    i love that giant rose though...that's very cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well if you are not a sci fi fan, Asimov wouldn't be for you anyway. Never heard of the Icicle Works.

      It is cool, would look good in your yard.

      Delete
  9. Jackpot - really enjoy Asimov, love metal sculptures, and those cheese croutons are right up my alley!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good all round then Dixie. Hope your cold is improving.

      Delete
    2. Somewhat better - I could almost taste the roast I cooked! Thank you.

      Delete
  10. Asimov has an asteroid named after him if memory serves me right. He was brilliant. Too smart for me to read I think. I love the sculpture of the rose. I'm a fan of that sort of artwork too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually his books are very readable Pinky. If you like sci fi that is. The Robert Forward books are pretty full of technical stuff though.

      Me too, love those roses.

      Delete
  11. My son would love those grilled cheese croutons but not in tomato soup--he never like it but I could see him putting this in other soups he does like. :-)

    I read all of Asimov's books.I would enjoy watching it if they do it justice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I am looking forward to trying them.

      That is the question Sia, isn't it? Will they do it justice.

      Delete
  12. Hi Jo - How come you don't take pictures of yours?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of my what? Snow? See tomorrow.

      Delete
    2. Soup. Your food. Your stuff. Your eats.

      Delete
    3. Oh I do sometimes, but I'm not much of a photographer and I also forget. I may have almost finished and I suddenly think I should have taken a pic.

      Delete