Monday, November 24, 2014

Feed the Hungry, Pigtail Dinner.

Food Drive LinkThe blogging community is going to be holding a food drive on the web December 4-6, 2014 and it will be held in memory of our dear friend Tina Downey. Everyone who can is being asked to help spread the word and to do what they can to help food banks in their area. To read more about it go here. This necessitates finding out about food banks in our own areas, publicising them as much as we can and helping out if we are able. So please tell everybody you know whatever country you are in and join in during December. Posting the logo will also help very much. I must admit I posted information about this on Facebook and it was received like a damp squib. I also emailed our local foodbank.

Luckily the freezing rain never materialised on Saturday although the Pigtailsweather was cold, wet and extremely miserable. However, we were able to make it to our Pigtail dinner. Sadly our very good friends couldn’t make it because they had visiting relatives. Disappointing as they are fun people to be with. They tried to get extra tickets but couldn’t do so. It turned out there were lots of spaces and I am certain there was lots of extra food. Oh well. It was still a fun evening. I duly ate my three pigtails (two done in barbecue sauce and one with garlic and honey) with a good helping of sauerkraut. Got sticky as all get out and washed it down with red wine. They used to have a Newfie band but they have disbanded now which is a shame. I always enjoyed them although can’t say the same for Matt. The picture shows barbecued tails, most of the pix on line look most unappetising.

For those of you who are about to celebrate Thanksgiving, here’s a cute recipe from Giada de Laurentis on FoodTV. The recipe is rated as easy by the way.

Thanksgiving Turkeys


Thanksgiving Turkeys
Thanksgiving Turkeys
Makes 6 turkeys
 
Ingredients
  • 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
  • 30 candy corn candies, plus 6 white tips of candy corn
  • 6 chocolate sandwich cookies
  • 6 mini peanut butter cups
  • 6 malt balls
  • 1 cup Red Frosting, recipe follows
  • 6 chocolate sandwich cookies with top cookies removed
Red Frosting:
  • 1/2 stick (1/4 cup) unsalted butter, at room temperature
  • 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • 2 tablespoons whole milk
  • Red food coloring, as needed
Directions
Place the chocolate chips in a medium stainless steel or glass bowl. Set the bowl over a saucepan of barely simmering water. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the chocolate has melted, about 4 minutes. Set aside to cool slightly.
For each turkey, push 5 candy corn candies, tip-side down, into the cream filling of a chocolate sandwich cookie to make the feathers for the turkey. Lay the cookie on a work surface.
Dip the flat, larger end of a peanut butter cup in the melted chocolate allowing any excess chocolate to drip back into the bowl. Place the peanut butter cup, chocolate-dipped end down, onto the sandwich cookie.
Dip a malt ball into the melted chocolate allowing any excess chocolate to drip back into the bowl. Place the malt ball above the peanut butter cup to make the head of the turkey.
Dip the flat end of the white candy corn tip in the chocolate. Place on the malt ball, to make the turkey beak. Refrigerate until the chocolate has set, about 10 minutes.
Place the Red Frosting in a piping bag. Using scissors, cut a small opening in the end of the piping bag. Pipe a small piece of frosting under the malt ball to make the turkey's beard.
Place a cookie (with top half removed) on a platter. Stand the turkey upright into the cream filling. Repeat with the remaining ingredients.
Red Frosting:
In a medium bowl, using an electric hand mixer, beat the butter until smooth, about 20 seconds. Add the powdered sugar, vanilla extract and milk. Beat on low speed until combined. Increase the speed to high and beat until the mixture is smooth. Color the frosting by mixing in 1 drop of red food coloring at a time until the desired color is reached.

Have a great day
Jo_thumb[2]

22 comments:

  1. Sorry they couldn't make it. Sounds like you ate well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We certainly did. Hope you will join the Food Drive Ivy.

      Delete
  2. Hi Jo - glad the freezing rain didn't materialise. The pigtails look very good indeed .. I think I'll stick with those ..the Thanksgiving Turkeys turn my teeth with sweetness! They look fun though .. enjoy your week .. cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes they were good Hilary. I love sweet stuff unfortunately. Glad you are on board with the Food Drive.

      Delete
  3. Don't know if it's just because I'm very tired today but I found the food drive link on Facebook a bit confusing. You've made it clearer, though, for which I'm grateful. It's a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Facebook one displayed the warning notice, OK if you followed the link but not if you just read it there. Excellent idea. Hope you will join in.

      Delete
  4. Hi Jo. I've stood in the receiving line and I've volunteered on the distributing line - there's no better way to give back! Hunger is serious business! Glad to participate.
    Anything Giada gets my attention!
    Pigtails, kraut and red wine. Lucky you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent way to give back. Most of us don't know what hunger is which is fortunate for us, but doesn't encourage you to do anything for others.

      I love Giada too. Yup, our pigtail dinner was good.

      Delete
  5. Those turkeys are adorable!

    Today is the How I Miss You Blogfest and I listed your blog as one I would miss.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Diane. I am not participating, but I would miss you too.

      Delete
  6. Ah, the Turkeys! I love the look of those turkeys, although I wouldn't eat one for the life of me. But I certainly love to watch them.
    I've never eaten pigtails. I've eaten villagers, virgins, cows, sheep, and yes, pigs, but the ribs, not the tails. I'm glad you could attend. :)
    Dragon Hugs, grandmother!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No I'm not sure I would, the effect on diabetes would probably be rather devastating.

      You should try roasted pigtails. After all you can roast them yourself. They are delicious.

      Abrazos mi nieto

      Delete
  7. Glad you made it to the pigtail dinner.
    I'm really glad MJ is continuing the food drive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So were we Alex. Yes, it's a tribute to Tina.

      Delete
  8. These Thanksgiving turkeys are simply adorable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought so but then Giada comes up with fab recipes.

      Delete
  9. A pigtail dinner... that sounds interesting. Even if your friends couldn't make it.

    I just showed my wife those chocolate turkeys, and she "SQUEEE"d in delight. I'm now 100% certain we're making those for Thanksgiving dessert.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Pig tails as in actual tails from pigs? Those turkeys are so cute. If I still worked in a large office I would make them but I don't need candy hanging around the house. Bad enough we have a huge albeit damaged box of Nestles crunch bars (hubby is given damaged goods that get rejected).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes definitely tails from pigs. they are delicious.

      I know what you mean about candy hanging around the house.

      Delete
  11. That's my question too. Are they the actual tails? I wouldn't have thought there would be very much meat on them. The turkeys look absolutely amazing Jo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's actually a surprising amount of meat on them Pinky, not only that, if cooked properly, the fat gets rendered down and anyway, pork fat is delicious, once a year!!!

      They are cute and very clevedr.

      Delete