Thursday, November 20, 2014

Digital Puzzle, Princess Elsa.

untitledYesterday, part of my Christmas present from Matt, which I ordered, arrived. The DVD of Maleficent. So in the evening, I inserted it into my laptop and it wouldn’t play. Luckily Matt wasn’t watching TV and he is not remotely interested in such a movie, so I used the DVD and it played fine. Later I tried it on the desktop but it wouldn’t play there either. I was in a bit of a pother as I like to play movies on my laptop and couldn’t. Did a bit of research on line and discovered that a digital+DVD should be playable. I then looked at the leaflet that came with the DVD and decided to join the Disney site mentioned and sign in with the ‘magic code’. I did that and it said Maleficent was unlocked. Uh? I hadn’t had to insert the disc. Anyway, I tried it and lo and behold, it worked. Well, well, well. I also have How To Train Your Dragon 2 on the way. Don’t think that’s Disney though.

Talking of movies, sinlaw posted a picture of his daughter dressed aBeth as Princess Elsas Princess Elsa in Frozen. Apparently she was off to do a children’s party. She has trained at a drama school. Secret, she was wearing Uggs underneath in order to drive there. She is really a very lovely young lady. We are, of course biased, but I’m sure you would agree. Oh to be that young again. I hadn’t even realised she had a driver’s license. Matt is very pleased seeing what a lovely young woman she is.







This recipe is specially for Alex J. Cavenaugh or the Ninja Captain. He said Kung Pao Chicken is his favourite. I have posted a lighter version, but this is the classic recipe.

Classic Kung Pao Chicken

 
Andrew Scrivani for The New York Times
Ingredients
  • 3 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch cubes
  • 3 large egg whites
  • 2 teaspoons salt
  • 3 tablespoons Asian sesame oil
  • 3 tablespoons cornstarch
  • 3 cups peanut oil
  • 6 dried red chilies
  • 1 ½ cups unsalted peanuts
  • 6 tablespoons minced garlic
  • ½ cup finely chopped scallions
  • 2 tablespoons chopped fresh ginger
  • ⅓ cup chicken stock or canned chicken broth
  • ⅓ cup Shaoxing rice wine or dry sherry
  • 5 tablespoons reduced sodium soy sauce
  • 2 teaspoons sugar
  • 2 tablespoons Chinese black rice vinegar
Preparation
  1. In a medium bowl, combine chicken, egg whites, 1 teaspoon of the salt, 1 tablespoon of the sesame oil and 2 tablespoons of the cornstarch. Mix well.
  2. Place a large wok over high heat until hot. Add peanut oil. When oil is very hot, remove wok from heat and immediately add chicken pieces, stirring to keep them from sticking. When the pieces are white on all sides, after 2 to 3 minutes, drain them and all the oil through a stainless-steel colander in a heatproof bowl. Reserve 5 tablespoons of the oil, and discard remainder.
  3. In a small bowl, combine remaining 1 tablespoon cornstarch with 1/3 cup water; mix well and set aside. Reheat wok with reserved oil. When very hot, add chilies and stir-fry until slightly blackened. Add peanuts, garlic, scallions and ginger, and stir-fry until lightly browned.
  4. Add chicken pieces, stock, rice wine, soy sauce, sugar, vinegar, remaining 1 teaspoon salt and remaining 2 tablespoons sesame oil. Mix well, and stir in cornstarch mixture. Stir-fry for 2 minutes, then reduce heat to low and let mixture sit for 2 to 3 minutes. Mix again, and serve.
Have a great day
Jo

18 comments:

  1. I'm with Alex. I love Kung Pao Chicken. I like that this is a lighter recipe. I can't wait to try it.
    Interesting about the DVD. You didn't actually say what you thought of it. Did you like it? Angelina and Brad are over here again. She shot her last movie here in Queensland--Unbroken I think it is.

    Denise :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No Denise, this is not the lighter version. I published that here http://henderson-jo.blogspot.ca/2014/09/summer-fruit-books.html

      I love Maleficent. I rented it before I bought it.

      Delete
  2. Hi Jo - glad you sorted out the DVD .. I had one that wouldn't work at a friend's house, but worked fine on the TV here ... still such is life ... Your/Matt's niece in law does look a great teacher/fun/actress .. and excellent she's appearing as they won't expect her to be ... and good she's passed her driving test ... always useful.

    Alex's dish ... sounds very delicious ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah but I had to join something. It's Matt;s granddaughter Hilary and she's an actress. I obviously wasn't very clear. They live in Kent.

      I have developed a liking for that dish too.

      Delete
  3. I don't understand that DVD locking thing and I think it's kinda lame of Disney to force you to join their site in order to have it play on your computer. My DVD/CD drive in my laptop has been broken for ages but I never used it anyway. I like watching the TV vs. the smaller screen. I can't even use most of the features on the Microsoft Word that came w/ my laptop b/c it keeps asking me for some product code key in order to unlock it. I don't know what that is or where to find it and so I can only use a couple of features in that program.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tees me off to JoJo, I can't seem to get into the site now anyway. Passwords don't seem to work or I've got it all screwed up.

      As for the product code key, it should be on the disc or on the package in which your programme came.

      Delete
  4. I simply must see that movie - you've convinced me. Your "grand-daughter" is the perfect Elsa - what a lovely girl.
    I don't think I've ever had Kung Pao Chicken - looks great - love the ingredients.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I love it Dixie. Yes, we certainly think so.

      You should try it, it's delicious. I have made the lighter version a couple of times too, that is very good.

      Delete
  5. And of course I'm late getting here today! Yes, my favorite Chinese dish. I think I order it every single time.
    Glad you figured out why the DVD wouldn't play.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well this one is a more genuine one. Have you ever made it yourself?

      So was I, but at least I could play it on the TV.

      Delete
  6. Never had the chicken but I love the shrimp version.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now I've never had the shrimp version, must try it.

      Delete
  7. It annoys me when companies do things like that. It drives customers away I feel. Your son-in-law's daughter looks great. A very convincing Elsa. She has a good look for a budding actress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too Pinky. Granddaughter. We certainly think so!!

      Delete
  8. I love the Elsa costume. I'm not shaped like him, but I'd probably go as Olaf, the snowman. He was such a sweet character.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't seen it yet but I have seen pictures of the characters. I can't quite see you as Olaf.

      Delete
  9. Thanks for sharing the recipe. Sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope it will be, not tried this version yet

      Delete