Monday, October 20, 2014

Retirement Party, Bowling, Radio Spot.

We had been invited to a retirement party on Saturday. We turned up there at around 8 as requested. There was absolutely nobody there that we knew, not even the retiree and his wife or his daughter; the son we don’t really know and grandkids we wouldn’t have known anyway. All the people that were there looked like they had escaped from kindergarten. I had a glass of wine and we stayed for about half an hour and then – feeling like fish out of water – we came back home. We were also somewhat overdressed. Presumably the idea was to have the retiree arrive late as a surprise, we didn’t realise that otherwise we might have arrived later ourselves. Not really our scene anyway. Not only that, Matt doesn’t drink on such occasions so it is less enjoyable for him.

Today of course is our bowling league so keep your fingers crossed that I continue to bowl well. I hope Matt bowls well too of course.

TomorroSpider Cheese Logw, Tuesday at 11:30 I am going to be talking about the Black Widow Spider recipe which I posted the other day. This will be on the local radio station and then I will post it on their Facebook page. I must admit I think it is one of the best Hallowe’en recipes I have ever seen. I even found myself looking at twigs to make the legs the other day even though I will not be making it. There’s only us after all.

Here’s something very different – we enjoy stuffed vine leaves (grape leaves) done by the Greeks, dolmas, they are absolutely delicious. However this is another take on stuffing the leaves. Be warned, it’s not that easy to roll them up. Although these are basically just folded so maybe it won’t be difficult.
 

Grape Leaf-Wrapped Salmon with Serrano-Scallion Sauce

Food and Wine
Contributed by Justin Chapple

  • SERVINGS: 4
    Food and Wine’s Justin Chapple makes a quick, creamGrape Leaf Wrapped Salmony sauce spiced with hot serrano chiles that’s terrific with luscious roast salmon fillets.
 
  1. 16 large jarred grape leaves, drained and patted dry
  2. 1 cup orange or yellow grape tomatoes, halved
  3. 5 scallions, julienned, plus 2 tablespoons minced scallion
  4. 3 serranos with seeds, halved and thinly sliced
  5. Kosher salt
  6. Pepper
  7. Four 6-ounce, skinless salmon fillets
  8. 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
  9. 1/4 cup Champagne vinegar
  10. 1/2 cup heavy cream
  1. Preheat the oven to 450° and line a large rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. Arrange the grape leaves in groups of 4 on a work surface, overlapping them slightly. Mound the tomatoes, three-fourths of the julienned scallions and one-third of the sliced serranos in the center of the grape leaves and season lightly with salt and pepper. Season the salmon fillets with salt and pepper and place on top, then wrap the grape leaves around the fish. Carefully turn the packets seam side down on the prepared baking sheet and roast for 10 to 12 minutes, until the salmon is medium within. Transfer the packets to plates.
  2. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, melt the butter. Add the minced scallion and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until softened, about 2 minutes. Add the vinegar and bring to a boil. Simmer over moderately high heat until reduced by half, about 3 minutes. Whisk in the cream and bring just to a simmer, then cook over moderately high heat, whisking occasionally, until slightly thickened, about 2 minutes. Stir in the remaining serranos and season the sauce with salt and pepper.
  3. Cut open the salmon packets and drizzle the sauce over the fish. Garnish with the remaining julienned scallions and serve right away.
Have a great day.

16 comments:

  1. Hi Jo - the spider cheese looks amazing and I'm sure tastes delicious .. I want to make it too ... Well done on the radio talk and then the FB postings - it's great you're so involved ...

    However the salmon wrapped in grape leaves ...also looks very good and worth a try ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually Matt read the recipe for the spider cheese and thought it sounded horrid. Did surprise me. The salmon should be good.

      Delete
  2. I want that spider for Halloween! So great that you get to talk about it on the radio.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not the first time I have done a recipe on the radio. It's fun. Doesn't take long.

      Delete
  3. That's so cool you are going to be on the radio!!! How did that come about? Do you do a regular recipe spot on their station? Sorry about the party though. I went to a surprise bday party for my best friend once and it was exactly as you described. Not a soul there talked to us. So we left after a half hour and long before my friend arrived. I called her later to apologize and explain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No I don't do a regular spot but I have done about 4 or 5 of these before.

      Turns out my friend arrived almost as we left. She says her son was there but I didn't recognize him and he certainly didn't recognize us.

      Delete
  4. Very cool recipe, and congrats on getting to talk about it on the radio! I don't think I'll ever look at goat cheese the same way again.

    Also, I've been to many a party like the one you described, and nothing's worse than hanging out awkwardly in the corner because you don't recognize anyone. I would have left early, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're going to be on the radio? How awesome!!
    Thirty minutes with no guest of honor - I would've bugged out as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Done it once or twice before.

      I feel vindicated. The wine was expensive too.

      Delete
  6. Will you be putting a recording of yourself on the radio on your blog Jo? I love that spider cake. As far as salmon dolmios go... YUM! Good luck with the interview.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They usually give me an MP3 recording but not immediately after the event.

      Thanks Pinky.

      Delete
  7. Awesome that you will be on the radio. Hoping to hear audio next visit here...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately I am unlikely to get the audio for several weeks I'm afraid. I have some audios of previous radio spots though.

      Delete
  8. Such a great Halloween treat! Congrats on being invited to talk and post about it!

    ReplyDelete