Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Radio, Shakespeare Mas.

Recipe Corner this is  a link to the MP3s I have of me on the radio at various times talking about recipes. I think it will work OK. When you download any one of the “Me on Radio” links the first time it will ask you to link it to a player. Mine went to Windows Media Player. Once you have done it one time, it will automatically link to it each time you play one. I have actually done 7 radio spots now, # 6 was too big apparently, but there are 5 links here. Yesterday’s I don’t yet have of course. When I did my recipe spot yesterday the DJ asked if I enjoyed Hallowe’en – never thought about it before, but I guess I do although we don’t see much of it any more living in an apartment block. Years ago a friend used to have parties and they were great fun. Somewhere we have a picture of Matt in drag. Two other friends came in diapers (husband and wife) dressed as babies with soothers and rattles, Matt kept offering to change the female's diapers!! I’ll have to look for it, I think it’s probably on a slide.

CarriacouWatching Jeopardy I learnt about the Shakespeare Mas in which brightly dressed Peirrots engage in a battle of wits using only lines from Shakespearean plays. The competitor Carriacou2
without a quick reply earns a playful stroke from his opponent's stick. I assume that should be Pierrots. This takes place in Carriacou in the Caribbean and is part of their festival. which takes place before Lent. That would be absolutely fascinating and I would love to be there. I couldn’t do it any more but I was pretty good at Shakespeare once upon a time.

I posted these cookies for Hallowe’en last year but thought I would do so again, they are such fun.

Broken Finger Cookies
Food Network

“Fingernails” made from almonds or banana chips add a realistic touch. But avoid Broken Finger Cookiesthe nuts if allergy is an issue.
Courtesy of Jennifer Low

Yield: 20
Ingredients
  • 1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
  • 1/2 cup white sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • pinch salt
  • 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 2 tablespoons milk
  • 2 tablespoons red cake-decorating sugar
  • 20 whole blanched almonds OR 20 pieces banana chips
Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 350 F.
  2. Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
  3. In bowl, using electric mixer, beat butter until fluffy. Gradually beat in sugar. Beat until mixture is no longer “scratchy” sounding against bowl. Beat in egg, vanilla and salt.
  4. In separate bowl, mix together flour and baking powder (tip for measuring flour: stir flour, spoon into measuring cup, then level).
  5. Gradually beat flour mixture into butter mixture.
  6. Switch to working in flour mixture with hands when dough gets too stiff to beat.
  7. Knead into smooth dough. Roll into 3/4-inch thick “ropes”. Break ropes into 3-inch sections. Pat one end smooth. Dip tip of other end of each piece into milk then red sugar.
  8. Place on lined baking sheet. Pressing in sides of rope to prevent flattening, insert almond or piece of banana chip into rounded end. Repeat process to make 20 fingers.
  9. Bake on middle rack of oven 17 minutes, or until dough is lightly golden.
Have a great day
Jo_thumb[2]

16 comments:

  1. Gosh what a young sounding voice you have Jo! You have a similar accent to my grandfather who came from around Bath. Does the radio show increase your blog traffic much? I would imagine it does. The finger cookies are outstanding I must say. We don't do too much for Halloween in Australia. Some kids dress up and knock on our door looking for lollies (Candy Sweets) but not that many. I love it when they do because they look so cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hm, I replied to this and it has disappeared into cyber space. I think my voice sounds old actually. Your dad probably had a universal English accent.

      We don't see much of Hallowe'en any more but I used to enjoy seeing what the kids had dressed up as. I enjoyed the parties too.

      Delete
  2. There are so many cool Halloween food ideas out there now! Kinda makes me wish I was young enough and had a large enough house for a party.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am young enough but don't have the room either. Maybe I will host a dinner party.

      Delete
  3. Cool, will go listen to you!
    Those fingers are awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least I got it working even if I couldn't figure out how to embed it.

      Aren't they?

      Delete
  4. Those fingers are creepy, but a perfect choice - just in time for Halloween. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Melissa. You didn't listen to my radio spot?

      Delete
  5. You really need to dig up the photo of Matt in drag.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Soothers... Pacifiers?

    Enjoyed listening to your recordings. Twas good to hear your voice again. Do find that picture of Matt in drag. I must find some way to taunt the man who robbed me of my dwarf tossing title. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OK, in the UK they are called dummies.

      Glad you enjoyed the MP3s. Even if I find the pic of Matt, I think it is a slide so I will have to get it developed. Not sure I approve of your motive there Mr. Hargett. Poor Matt.

      Delete
  7. I've seen those broken finger cookies before. Great for Halloween parties.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Saw them in green today, they looked pretty good too.

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. Yup, if there were more than hubby and me, I might try making them.

      Delete