Friday, October 24, 2014

More on Socks, Car, Ottawa Shooting.

Sorry no blog yesterday, I just couldn’t scare up any enthusiasm to write about anything. I am toying with the idea of writing a blog less frequently than I do at present.

socksI told you about my socks and the survey I had to complete. At least one other woman I heard about was doing the same trial but her legs were bigger than mine and she couldn’t get on with them. My foot nurse is going to check, but it is probable I might get these socks as well. Whoopee. That should do me for socks for a long, long time and all for free.

We’ve been having a lot of rain lately. We are waiting to get the underspraying done on the car and we need 3 dry days before they will do it. Yesterday was dry and according to the forecast today and tomorrow will be.

Canada is a bit stunned at the moment because of the attack on Cdn flag half mastParliament Hill in Ottawa which ended in the tragic death of a soldier on guard, Corporal Nathan Cirillo, and the not so tragic death of the perpetrator. I guess we will never know exactly what he was intending. Everywhere flags are flying at half mast in honour of the soldier and there was a ceremony in parliament (caught a bit of it on TV whilst bowling) in his honour as well. The shootist’s mother said she was crying for the soldier but not for her son. This kind of thing doesn’t happen very often in Canada so it comes as quite a shock to the populace.

Smoked trout is absolutely delicious and curried anything is usually very good. This recipe is from Food and Wine.

Curried Fried Rice with Smoked Trout

Contributed by Adam Evans 

  • SERVINGS: 4

Chef Adam Evans uses any kind of smoked white fish (grouper, snapper, flounder) for the fragrant rice he serves. For a milder dish, seed and de-rib the cCurried Rice with Smoked Trouthile before mincing.
  1. 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
  2. 3/4 cup diced tomatoes
  3. 1 tablespoon curry powder
  4. 1 tablespoon peeled and minced fresh ginger
  5. 1 teaspoon minced Thai bird chili
  6. 4 garlic cloves, minced
  7. 2 shallots, minced
  8. 3 cups leftover or cooked and cooled basmati rice
  9. 1 cup flaked smoked trout (about 8 ounces)
  10. 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
  11. 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
  12. 1/2 cup coarsely chopped basil
  13. 1/2 cup coarsely chopped cilantro
  14. 1/2 cup coarsely chopped mint
  15. 1/2 cup thinly sliced scallions, green and light green parts only
  16. Kosher salt
  17. Pepper
  18. 1/4 cup chopped unsalted roasted peanuts
  1. In a large skillet, melt the butter over moderately high heat. Add the tomatoes, curry powder, ginger, chili, garlic and shallots and cook, stirring, until the tomatoes are beginning to brown, about 4 minutes. Stir in the rice and trout and cook, stirring once or twice, until the rice is toasted and crisped, about 3 minutes. Using a spoon, make a hole in the middle of the rice and pour in the olive oil. Add the eggs and let them cook, undisturbed, until the bottom starts to set. Stir in the basil, cilantro, mint and scallions and season with salt and pepper. Transfer the fried rice to a serving platter, sprinkle with the peanuts and serve immediately.
Have a great day
Jo

20 comments:

  1. Hi Jo - the socks sound a good bet. Yes - the last couple of days have been a little anxious making for Canada ... and I hope things settle down, albeit with more vigilance around.

    The curried fried rice sounds interesting ... and I think I'd use smoked haddock and keep the trout for a special snack/first course at some stage ...

    Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We don't get smoked haddock round here unfortunately. Something I really miss.

      Delete
  2. That's terrible about the attack.

    My family were big fishermen and we had fresh smoke trout all the time when I was growing up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see there is a headline today asking where he got the gun. Not readily available here.

      Lucky you. I guess you don't eat it any more though?

      Delete
  3. This sounds like a great recipe to try. I will be doing it tonite. copying this now and then on to the store. Thanks for sharing. Take care of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. HI, Jo,
    I do love me some fried rice. Haven't tried it with curry though.
    The news came as a surprise to me too. The family of that soldier must be devastated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too J.L. Have tried curry with Indian Kedgeree rice.

      I agree, they really must be. What concerns me is there are rumours of a second shooter.

      Delete
  5. You don't have many shootings, do you? No tears for the shootist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No we don't Alex, we mostly don't own guns here either.

      Delete
  6. So very sad about the Ottawa shooting. My heart really broke when I saw his 2 dogs waiting for him to come home. :'(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh JoJo I do wish you hadn't mentioned that. Even without seeing it I am tearing up.

      Delete
  7. Prayers are going out for the soldier's family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JoJo's mention of the two dogs waiting made me feel so very sad.

      Delete
  8. The shooting was the leading news in Australia. As someone on television said, apart from New Zealand we Aussies regard Canada to be the country most like us so it was a shock for us too. I know what you mean about cutting down on posting Jo. I seem to have hit a wall and can only write two/three posts a week now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Big shock all round.

      As far as posting, we'll what happens.

      Delete
  9. Hi Jo, I was thinking about you the other day with that shooting ... how awful for such a peaceful country. I hope it doesn't change life for you all too much. There's so much bad news on the TV these days, it's hard to bear.
    I've been trying blogging more often for this month and to be honest it's getting very difficult, but I'm hoping that by the end of it, there will be a sustainable pattern - it'd be great to do a regular 2 or 3 every week.
    Have a good weekend.
    Fil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The capital is a very long way from us, so far, we've never been there and the shooting is unlikely to affect us I think. I just looked it up, it's about 540 km away. This is a very big country LOL.

      I think 2 or 3 every week is a good number.

      Delete