Monday, October 27, 2014

Flu Shot, Rust Control,

flu shotThursday we dropped into the mall where we do our grocery shopping and I bumped into an acquaintance from our building who told me she had just had a flu shot at the pharmacy in the supermarket. We thought we would go and get ours done. Should have gone to our regular pharmacy, I had to fill in forms up the kazoo and when we went last year our regular pharmacy filled those in for us. However, it’s all done now and I have a sore arm. Matt never has a problem. We have been having flu shots for years. Of course we get them free. Last year in North Carolina I saw they were charging $20 for them. I wonder how many people bother – that would mount up for a family.

We needed our car undersprayed for the winter. However, they told us we had toUnderspray have 3 dry days before they could do it. Friday Matt was finally able to go and much to his horror there were cars lined up all round the block.  I guess we weren’t the only ones waiting for the weather to dry up. This is, of course, very important in Canada because of our winters with lots of ice and snow on the roads and heavy doses of salt as well. When Matt phoned me to tell me he wasn’t sure how long he would be, he figured he might get home around supper time!! He actually got home shortly after 11 so it wasn’t that bad. Apparently they had 4 guys working at spraying and two at sorting out the cars and issuing them with numbers. $73.35 which is 35 cents up on last time. Not too bad. Matt was #32 by the way.

I have recently started a problem with flaky nails and checking on reasons, one possibility is that I am not getting enough leafy greens. Could be as I seem to have “gone off” those I used to love. Kale is touted as a miracle green these days and coming across this one I thought it sounded good. I have never heard of Cotija cheese so I have linked it to Wikipedia.

Shrimp-and-Potato Cakes with Kale Braised in Chile Broth


Food and Wine
Contributed by Silvia McCollow

SERVINGS: 6

  Shrimp Potato Cakes Kale
Husband-and-wife team Cory and Silvia McCollow make this elegant dish at their Oakland, California restaurant using local ingredients. It's popular during the spring because the crispy cakes showcase seafood (eaten more frequently during Lent) and scallions or spring onions, as well as greens.
  1. 2 baking potatoes (1 1/4 pounds), peeled and halved lengthwise
  2. Kosher salt
  3. 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
  4. 3 scallions, finely chopped, plus 1 thinly sliced scallion, for garnish
  5. 2 serrano chiles—stemmed, seeded and minced
  6. 3/4 pound shelled and deveined large shrimp, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
  7. 1 large egg, lightly beaten
  8. 2 tablespoons finely grated Cotija cheese, plus more for garnish
  9. 2 tablespoons finely chopped cilantro, plus more for garnish
  10. Canola oil, for frying
  11. Kale Braised in Chile Broth
  1. In a medium saucepan, cover the potatoes with water and bring to a boil. Add a generous pinch of salt and simmer over moderate heat until the potatoes are just tender, about 12 minutes. Drain and return the potatoes to the saucepan to dry and cool completely. Using a box grater, coarsely grate the potatoes into a large bowl.
  2. In a medium skillet, heat the olive oil until shimmering. Add the finely chopped scallions and the serranos and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until softened, about 3 minutes. Add the scallions and serranos to the potatoes and let cool.
  3. Line a baking sheet with wax paper. Add the shrimp, egg, 2 tablespoons each of Cotija and chopped cilantro and 1 teaspoon of salt to the potatoes and fold gently to combine. Form the mixture into 6 patties, a scant 3/4 inch thick and transfer them to the baking sheet. Refrigerate the cakes until just chilled, about 20 minutes.
  4. In a large, deep skillet, heat 1/2 inch of canola oil until shimmering. Add 3 of the shrimp cakes and fry over moderately high heat, turning once, until cooked through, about 5 minutes. Transfer the cakes to paper towels to drain. Repeat with the remaining 3 cakes.
  5. Spoon the kale into shallow bowls and top with the shrimp cakes. Garnish with Cotija, chopped cilantro and the sliced scallions and serve right away.
Have a great day
Jo


20 comments:

  1. Hi Jo - glad the car is sorted .. lots of waiting, but essential for protection. I love Kale and shrimp cakes ... I've heard jelly is good for flaky nails ..

    Have a good week .. the sun is out this morning and what a difference that makes v gray skies .. cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I first started Weight Watchers in '75 (before we emigrated) I used to make myself a jelly every day with orange squash (not available here) and gelatin. My nails were the best I ever remember.

      Yup it's sunny here too my first sight when I sat up in bed this morning was the sun shining on a golden tree.

      Delete
  2. I've never had a flu shot. And I almost never get the flu, either. My mother-in-law gets one every year, and every year, she gets the flu.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Typical. Mind you Matt and I never got the flu but because of our ages our doctor insisted so we have been having them for a while now.

      Delete
  3. That was a long line of cars. I've seen cars that didn't get the spray though and they looked eaten.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Especially up here Alex, with our winters and all the salt on the roads. When he left the line was up to the 60s

      Delete
  4. Ooh, I like the sound of that shrimp potato cake with kale recipe. Kale really is a great green if you know how to use it. Instead of potato chips, we like to make kale chips. Break up the leaves into roughly potato chip size, put them on a baking sheet, lightly cover with olive oil, crack some sea salt/pepper over the top, then bake at 325 degrees for about 10-12 minutes or until lightly crispy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't tried that but I had heard about making kale chips. I guess I should have a go. Have a blogging friend who can't stand kale. I have used it in soups too, delicious.

      Delete
  5. Hope the sore arm feels better soon. David had his flu and his pneumonia jabs recently. They're free for the over 65s. He's been fine but I've got a cold (not flu) and feel yukky!

    I do like the sound of those Kale Chips ... must try them to see whether David will eat them as he doesn't particularly like boiler/steamed kale.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's fine thanks Sue. I have a bad shoulder anyway which didn't help. They are free here for anyone I think.

      I have to try them too, gotta buy the kale. Bought a mixed bag of chard and kale to make a smoothie with, see how it goes.

      Delete
  6. I've never heard of spraying under a car for winter. They don't do it here that I know of. I got my flu shot last week at my doc appt which was convenient. First time in years that the injection site didn't hurt afterwards.

    I make a kale soup that we just love. I make it fairly frequently. I tried making kale chips but my first attempt wasn't so good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup it was convenient for us last week too, we were in the store anyway. I guess nobody needs underspraying in your part of the world, they may well do it up north of you though.

      I love kale soup too, will try the chips and see how I get on.

      Delete
  7. I have flaky nails! Thanks for the tip, although I eat a lot of leafy greens already. I get a sore arm from the flu shot too Jo but it's worth it knowing you're protected.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tees me off that Matt never gets a sore arm. I do agree but then I have heard of others who say they get flu anyway.

      Delete
  8. As much as I like shrimp, that combination doesn't interest me. I'm turned-off by everyone's love for kale. I like to oppose the masses. I'll stick with spinach to get my leafy greens.

    I used to get flu shots every year, until they started charging for them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OK your choice Robyn. I like spinach too.

      Not sure what I would do if they charged for them here. Apparently they charge for them in England unless you are over 65.

      Delete
  9. I love kale. Baby organic kale is killer. Use it all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Flu shots aren't fun, but they're a lot better than the flu. That recipe looks fabulous!!! We're being inundated with fall greens right now, and that looks like a great way to use them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right Danielle. Hope you enjoy the recipe and the greens.

      Delete