Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Bowling, Specials, Doctor’s, Gilt, Name Change.

I am feeling very My_Ballplease with myself this evening (Monday) as I bowled so well for a complete change. My average went up by 10 points and Matt`s by 2. We are both hoping we continue to improve this way. I have had one or two questions about 5 pin bowling lately. This is my ball. It weights about 3.5 lbs unlike the balls used for 10 pin bowling. There are five pins which are different values, the middle one is 5 points. The two either side are 3 and the two corner pins are 2 points. A Bowling Pin Placement 5total of 15 all together. Unless we get a strike (all pins down with one ball) or a spare (all pins down with 2 balls) we bowl three balls every time. The game was invented by a Canadian just over 100 years ago and was, I am told, even more difficult then than it is today. It is considered to be more challenging than 10 pin. Matt and I have played both games and much prefer 5 pin. However, if you want to play 10 pin round here, you certainly can.

After bowling we went to check on the rib roast specials at our local supermarket. They were selling at $4.88 per lb which is very reasonable here and we bought two nice roasts which are now heavily wrapped in the freezer.

Today, Tuesday, we go for our quarterly diabetes check at the doctor’s. Matt has what they call pre-diabetes which doesn’t seem to mean much at all as far as I can see. My own readings are heaps better since I lost 43 lbs. When we return we are going to lunch at the new restaurant I told you about, Gilt, which is owned by a couple of young women one of whom is the niece of a good friend. She is picking us up to take us there.

I have been discussing with friends about changing the title of this blog. I use the word Travels which is a bit misleading these days as we really don’t do too much travelling any more. My very dear friend the Dragon, Al Diaz, suggested Life instead of travels so that is what I am going to use.

This sounds like a tasty and easy way of serving cauliflower which really does tend to be bland. This recipe was sent to me by Food and Wine.

Cauliflower Casserole with Cheddar


Contributed by Phoebe Lapine
SERVINGS: 4

This dump-and-stir casserole recipe could not be easier. Fresh thyme and smoked paprika give the cauliflower great flavor, without having to add loads of heavy cream and butter.

cauliflower casserole
Ingredients
  1. 4 cups cauliflower florets (from 1 medium head cauliflower)
  2. 8 ounces sour cream
  3. 1 cup coarsely grated mild white cheddar cheese
  4. 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
  5. 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
  6. 1 teaspoon salt
  7. 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
  1. Preheat the oven to 350° and butter a shallow 9-by-13-inch ceramic baking dish.
  2. Bring a large pot of salted water to boil. Blanch the cauliflower until just tender, 4 minutes. Drain in a colander.
  3. In a large bowl, combine the cauliflower, sour cream, half the cheese, paprika, thyme, salt and red pepper. Transfer the mixture to the prepared dish and sprinkle the remaining cheese over the top. Bake for 30 minutes, until the cheese is melted and the top is lightly browned. Serve immediately.
Have a great day
Jo_thumb[2]

15 comments:

  1. Like the name change. More chocolate please. lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. We were tenpin bowlers for years (I bowled with a 14lbs ball and David's was 16lb so quite different to yours). Recently we've been Crown Green bowling but enjoy tenpin more. I don't think we have fivepin in the UK ... maybe if we ever get to visit Canada we'll give it a go - sounds fun!
    I love cauliflower but as we're cutting back on cheese consumption will have to pass on this one I guess. I enjoy it baked in the oven with Indian style spices as a side dish (crunchy and spicy)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 14 lbs. I can only manage a 10 lbs. Never tried lawn bowling despite having a place half a mile down the road. Yup, do come to Canada and we can all go bowling together.

      Only ever tried baking it once and wasn't impressed. How do you do this one exactly, can you email me please.

      Delete
  3. I cannot imagine how hard 5 pin would be!!!! That cauliflower recipe sounds delish. Russell's not a huge fan of it thought; I made a cauli 'bread sticks' recipe and he grudingly ate a piece. Said it was OK but not the best thing I've whipped up lately. I, meanwhile, was devouring it and told him he was nuts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny, how's his sense of smell, if he has lost that he might find things blander.

      Delete
  4. Good choice of title!
    Glad you're improving your bowling scores.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like your new title. Thanks for letting us know about 5 pin bowling. I'm sure it must be harder than 10 pin. You've done so well losing 43 lbs! That's amazing. You must have needed to buy an entirely new wardrobe Jo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is. I find that with 10 pin it is almost impossible not to hit some pins every time. The pins in 5 pin are 18 inches apart which makes it even more difficult.

      Not entirely new, I had lots of things I haven't worn for a long while.

      Delete
  6. P.S. My comments have gone a bit silly. It's not even letting me comment at the moment :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Didn't know there was such a thing as 5 pin bowling. Like the blog name change.

    ReplyDelete