Friday, October 31, 2014

Bowling, Dummies.

Yesterday I was thinking of going to Costco to buy chocolate but Bowlingdecided to go bowling with the Travel League instead. LOL. Now that’s interesting, I wanted to do a g for grin inside brackets but instead got a gift box. Never knew that before. So anyway, it was our Travel League yesterday and we headed off to New Hamburg (about half an hour out of town) and ate at The Old Country Restaurant. Then on to the bowling alley where I tried something slightly new and bowled much better than I did on Monday so I was a happy camper. Sadly Matt was not bowling too well. There is another a very good restaurant in New Hamburg called The Waterlot where we used to go for dinner and often for Sunday brunch. We haven’t been there for years but one of our friends said it is very expensive these days. Pity.

Now here’s an odd article, they are apparently making crash test fat-crash-test-dummyFatter dummiesdummies fatter to match American drivers. It turns out that obese drivers are more at risk of death. They say 35% of drivers are obese. Not exclusive to American drivers of course. Next thing you know there will be diet programmes for crash test dummies. This one on the right certainly looks pretty obese. I hate that word, I'd rather hear fat than obese however medically correct it might be.

These look pretty good, but at 218 calories per serving, not sure I would eat them. Well, not a full serving anyway.

Chocolate Crunch

Chocolate Crunch

WebMD Recipe from EatingWell.com
4 servings

Crunchy wheat cereal, pretzels and almonds coated in bittersweet chocolate makes an addictive sweet-salty snack.
Ingredients
  • 1 cup Wheat Chex cereal, 2 ounces
  • 1 cup pretzel sticks, broken in half; 2 ounces
  • 1/4 cup salted roasted almonds, 2 1/2 ounces
  • 3 tablespoons bittersweet chocolate chips, melted
Instructions
  1. Combine Chex, pretzels and almonds in a medium bowl. Drizzle with melted chocolate; stir to combine. Spread the mixture on a wax paper-lined baking sheet and refrigerate until the chocolate is set, about 30 minutes.
Have a great day
Jo_thumb[2]

14 comments:

  1. Bowling was a good decision. I love to bowl and haven't in years! OOOOooo...that chocolate crunch looks tasty. Happy Halloween, Jo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you saw yesterday's blog, I was referring to the $1,700 basket of chocolate from Costco. I enjoyed my bowling yesterday.

      Happy Hallowe'en to you too

      Delete
  2. Don't get me started on the unrealistic serving sizes you see in recipes and on food packages. I made some sauteed sugar snap peas last night and the serving size was a half cup. As if.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, it's stupid isn't it? Very unrealistic.

      Delete
  3. It makes sense to make the crash test dummies more like the people they're supposed to represent, but there are nicer ways to phrase it.

    Glad your bowling is getting better. You're making me want to go bowling so bad! I haven't been since I was a teenager. I was AWFUL, but I always had fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's something I wouldn't have thought of but yes, it does make sense.

      You're talking 10 pin I assume Danielle, here in Canada a lot of us do 5 pin which is only in Canada. If you had fun, doesn't really matter what your score is.

      Delete
  4. Why would overweight people be more at risk I wonder? You'd think they'd have more protective padding??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Guessing it's because they can't move around so easily.

      Delete
  5. Hi Jo,

    Yes indeed, I'm actually here and leaving a comment. Trying to get back the momentum.

    Obese crash test dummies. Of course, Britain will end up doing the same thing. Folks are getting plumper here.

    I wonder what the equivalent of Wheat Chex cereal is over here. I sure miss five-pin bowling. I have, however, found my trophy for being league champs way back when. Must take a photo.

    Have a good one, Jo. Lovely to see you, my kind friend.

    Gary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great to see you too Gary. It does seem odd though to make the dummies obese.

      Gotta be something similar available in England.

      Thanks for dropping in and hugs to Penny

      Delete
  6. Yes, the fat is spreading and other countries are quickly catching up. Ever watch Supersized vs. Superskinny? I enjoy the doctor and like that show.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No I have never heard of it, I don't think we get it here in Canada.

      Delete
  7. It's pretty sad that it's necessary to have obese crash dummies. I also prefer "fat" to "obese." Now many doctors routinely classify their overweight patients as "obese" or "morbidly obese." Some insurance companies are making it more difficult for patients who fall in either of these categories. Glad you scored through the roof at bowling! I'll have to try the easy Chocolate Crunch recipe!

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it? And morbidly obese sounds dreadful.

      Hope I do better tomorrow at bowling.

      Delete