Grilled Asparagus and Melon Salad
This salad is a new twist on the classic combo of melon and prosciutto. Grilled asparagus keeps a slight crunch and also has a smoky char to it that pairs with the creaminess and subtle flavor of mozzarella and the fruitiness of melon. To top it off: crumbled prosciutto. I’ve always loved the salty tang of prosciutto, but since I started baking thin slices of it to make brittle, crispy chips, my love has become a full-blown obsession; they just seem to make everything taste better.
Makes 4 to 6 servings
- 2 ounces thinly sliced prosciutto
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts
- 1 pound asparagus, trimmed
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (from 1 lemon)
- 1/4 small melon (about 12 ounces), peeled, seeded, and cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 4 ounces fresh mozzarella or burrata cheese, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 1 Place an oven rack in the center of the oven and preheat the oven to 350°F.
- 2 Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. Place the prosciutto in a single layer on the prepared baking sheet. Bake for 12 to 14 minutes, until crispy. Drain the prosciutto on paper towels and set aside to cool. Chop the prosciutto into 1/4-inch pieces.
- 3 Meanwhile, heat a small, heavy skillet over medium-low heat. Add the pine nuts to the hot skillet and stir them until they become fragrant and golden brown, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a plate to cool.
- 4 Place a grill pan over medium-high heat or preheat a gas or charcoal grill.
- 5 In a medium bowl, toss together the asparagus and 2 teaspoons of the olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Grill for 2 to 3 minutes on each side until crisp-tender.
- 6 In a medium bowl, combine the lemon juice and remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil. Whisk until combined. Season with salt and pepper. Add the melon and mozzarella cheese. Toss to coat.
- 7 Arrange the asparagus on a platter. Spoon the melon and mozzarella cheese on top of the asparagus. Drizzle any remaining dressing from the bowl over the top. Sprinkle with the prosciutto and pine nuts and serve.
Have a great weekend