Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Canada Day, Tree, Book Size.

Canada Maple Leaves
To all my Canadian friends, happy Canada Day to you.

Actually I am not celebrating because yesterday I picked up my last asparagus for 2014 so now I am feeling sad. I bought some honey and some strawberries too. I may have to go back for more honey as I have gone nuts about having it on my plain yoghurt. Delicious. In fact I tried something new, I mixed my plain yoghurt with honey and then poured it over my strawberries. It was really good and not nearly as many calories as cream and sugar or even sweetener.

There is a tree that Japanese Tree Lilacwe have seen all over the place this year, seen it other years, but not so many of them. I was trying to identify it online and it seems to me that this one is the same. This is called a Japanese Tree Lilac. It is really pretty to see although I have not been up close to one. Would you believe there seem to be several in the park which is outside our windows although they are over on the other side. If I haven’t got the right tree, it is very similar. I can't understand how we never noticed these trees in the park before.






Matt picked up my library book Words of Radiance by Brandon Sanderson for me and I Book Sizeswas staggered by the size and weight of it. Out of interest, I measured it, it is 2 1/4 inches thick and 3 1/4 lbs in weight. this is a picture showing it in comparison to a more normal book, which in itself is quite a heavy volume. And people wonder why I like to read my books on Kindle. Kindle So very much easier to handle. Not only that I can prop it up on my treadmill to read when I am walking on it.









This looked like a good summer soup; I love soups as most of you will know.  Matt complains there is no room in the freezer because of them but I notice he never refuses to eat them. This is from My Recipes.


Summer Squash and Corn Chowder


Enjoy soup in the summertime by making this satisfying chowder with the season's best produce. Top with cheese and bacon Photo: John Autry; Styling: Mindi Shapirofor kid appeal.

Cooking Light AUGUST 2010
  • Yield: 4 servings
Ingredients
  • 2 slices applewood-smoked bacon
  • 3/4 cup sliced green onions, divided
  • 1/4 cup chopped celery
  • 1 pound yellow summer squash, chopped
  • 1 pound frozen white and yellow baby corn kernels, thawed and divided
  • 2 1/4 cups 1% low-fat milk, divided
  • 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 cup (1 ounce) shredded extra-sharp cheddar cheese
Preparation
1. Cook bacon in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat until crisp. Remove bacon from pan, reserving 2 teaspoons drippings in pan. Crumble bacon, and set aside. Add 1/2 cup onions, celery, and squash to drippings in pan; sauté 8 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
2. Reserve 1 cup corn; set aside. Place the remaining corn and 1 cup milk in a blender; process until smooth. Add remaining 1 1/4 cups milk, thyme, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and pepper to blender; process just until combined. Add pureed mixture and reserved 1 cup corn to pan. Reduce heat to medium; cook 5 minutes or until thoroughly heated, stirring constantly. Stir in 1/8 teaspoon salt. Ladle about 1 1/2 cups soup into each of 4 bowls; top each serving with about 1 tablespoon bacon, 1 tablespoon remaining onions, and 1 tablespoon cheese.

Have a great day
Jo

8 comments:

  1. Hi Jo - Happy Canada Day ... I know asparagus has finished for this year .. still it was delicious while we had it. Love chowders ... and the different trees are always good to read about ... those two books look heavy don't they - happy reading though .. cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've still got a good supply of fresh asparagus, but after this week, boo hoo. I dunno about look heavy, they are. The Sanderson one is going to be really difficult to read I think.

      Delete
  2. Happy Canada Day! Sorry you're out of asparagus now.
    That is one fat book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alex. Not out yet, end of the week though.

      I know, probably be a problem to handle.

      Delete
  3. Happy Canada Day ... hope I'm not too late to wish you that - hectic times here in Kent LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sue, never too late. I can imagine things are truly hectic in your neck of the woods.

      Delete