Friday, June 13, 2014

Egg Slicer, Amended Recipe, Canola Honey.

I have and egg slicer and we do use it for slicing eggs. We enjoy egg sandwiches now and again. But this Mad Genius video shows you three other uses for your slicer which I think are a great idea. Particularly the mushrooms which would have to be nice and fresh.  This guy also has some other genius ideas and if you follow the link you can click on previous ideas of his. I tried to embed the video but something seems not to be working so I recommend you go to the link to see what I am talking about.

I posted a recipe the other day for Asparagus alla Milanese which I thought sounded good. However, I googled it for calories and they were pretty high, so, instead of using so much butter, I adjusted the recipe for us. I cooked the asparagus in boiling water until tender, about 3 mins, (instead of frying in butter) then once drained I plated them and sprinkled a very small amount of Parmesan over the spears. I then added a couple of poached eggs (poached in vinegar water not fried in more butter) and a small pat of butter for the flavour. Delicious. One thing I might do next time is serve this over toast in order to catch the egg yolks; the yolk which was on the asparagus made a delicious flavour sensation.

I recently mentioned buying some honey from Barrie’s when I got my canolaasparagus. On the lid there is a sticker saying canola. I wasn’t sure why so I asked, apparently the hives are in a field of canola. I know nothing about canola (other than using the oil) so I finally Googled to discover that a field full of canola (actually I believe the real name is rape seed) is absolutely gorgeous. A bee’s paradise. The honey is delicious. I mentioned I haven’t had fresh honey in years, and decided to try plain yoghurt and honey the way the Greeks and Turks eat it (or did when I was there) with a dollop of honey. Absolutely delicious. much better than all these other flavours introduced into yoghurt IMHOP.

I came across this recipe again yesterday and as it is several years since I last made it or posted it, I thought I would share it again. It is delicious and the one I just saw had frosting on it as well. Obviously you can turn this out if you wish and decorate it how you like.

CHOCOLATE MUG CAKE

4 Tbs flourchocolate mug cake
4 Tbs sugar
2 Tbs cocoa
1 egg
3 Tbs milk
3 Tbs oil
3 Tbs chocolate chips (optional)
a small splash of vanilla extract
1 large coffee mug

1. Add dry ingredients to mug, and mix well.  Add the egg and mix thoroughly. Pour in the milk and oil and mix well.  Add the chocolate chips (if using)and vanilla extract, and mix again.
2. Put your mug in the microwave and cook for 3 minutes at 1000 watts (high).
3. The cake will rise over [above] the top of the mug, but don't be alarmed!
4. THE MUG WILL BE HOT; USE MITTS FOR REMOVING FROM MICROWAVE
5. Allow to cool a little, and tip out onto a plate if desired.
6. EAT!

Author Notes
(this can serve 2 if you want to feel slightly more virtuous).
And why is this the most dangerous cake recipe in the world?
Because now we are all only 5 minutes away from chocolate cake at any time of the day or night!

Have a great day
Jo

11 comments:

  1. The asparagus sounds good,and I also like honey, but the Chocolate Mug Cake looks out of this world! I love that you don't even need a separate mixing bowl, and you have an instant soufflé. I'm not a baker, but something tells me that even I couldn't mess up this recipe. Thank you so much, Jo!

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only made it once, but it is great and so easy.

      Delete
  2. I bought an egg slicer at the supermarket when I first moved here and all the strings snapped the first time I used it! I replaced it but I'm wary of using it on anything else!

    I've seen a similar recipe for mug cakes/cupcakes, that just call for a box of angel food mix & whatever cake mix you like, to be combined in a large baggie. Then you take out however much (can't remember...cup? half cup?), put it in a mug with a few tablespoons of water, mix and nuke. It comes out pretty good too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strings? Mine is metal. Unsnappable if that's a word.

      Think I have seen a similar recipe to that somewhere too.

      Delete
  3. Hi Jo,

    We have just sent you a message through email regarding our project.

    myTaste.com is a social platform for recipe blogs/sites owners like you and it helps to reach more people, get more visibility on the web and share/save recipes.

    We only index first image of your recipe and to see your full recipe, the visitor must go to your blog/site.

    If you like it, you can join through here

    www.mytaste.com/add-your-food-blog

    This is one way to share your recipes to the world and it can also help you to increase your blog traffic.

    Full information has been sent to your email.

    Have a good day!

    Kind regards,

    ReplyDelete
  4. I learned something about canola today. Didn't know it bloomed like a flower.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jo,

    I wish I liked egg sandwiches. However, the last time I had an egg sandwich I became violently ill. Never mind, eh. Chocolate mug cake. That's more like it for me.

    Have a peaceful weekend, Jo.

    Gary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Egg Sandwich? The eggs sat on top of the asparagus. Or is it the eggs that don't suit you?

      Mug cake is good, try it.

      Thanks Gary, you too.

      Delete
  6. I hadn't seen an egg slicer for years until very recently. I remember every house had one when we were young. Might buy one again Thanks for the reminder Jo.
    Rape seed is seen as a huge plague here - terrible for allergies. But it does look beautiful. I didn't realise it was called canola.
    That chocolate cake looks fab.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny, I have never been without one. They are useful.

      Don't you have canola oil in Ireland? That is made from rape seed. I can also assure you honey from bees in a canola field is delicious.

      It's also so easy

      Delete