Friday, February 21, 2014

Olympics, Bowling, Toronto Mayor, Kiev, Reindeer.

Thursday, we heard that the Canadian women had won the gold for curling. In the afternoon we went bowling as usual, and the hockey match between Canada and the USA women’s teams was taking place so we spent a lot of time watching it on Canada Women's Hockeythe TVs in the bowling alley. It was a tense game, for a lot of the time the USA had two goals and Canada didn’t have any. Eventually, almost at the end, Canada scored two goals which made it a draw and necessitated overtime. Finally Canada scored the final goal with only 3 minutes of overtime left. The whole bowling alley erupted in cheers. I know nothing about hockey (although I did play field hockey many years ago) but I was thrilled when we won the gold. Sorry Josh Elliot (Good Morning America) but our team did it.  Everyone is thrilled. Congratulations team Canada.

All that going on, I actually bowled quite well, maybe I need the distraction.

I can’t believe it, all over the news on Thursday night, Rob Ford, Toronto’s infamous mayor, is planning to run again at the end of the year. His brother is even putting aside his own political ambitions for a while to help him by being campaign manager. If people vote him in again, they deserve everything they get. A lying, drunken, drug taking mayor is not my idea of a desirable candidate for re-election.

Also in the news is the situation in Kiev with the government actually shooting the protesters. The death tolls are pretty horrendous by now although I gather the government numbers are somewhat minimised compared with the actual death count. Poor Ukraine, I feel so sorry for a country in such a situation.

In Finland, an experiment is being tried to prevent thousands of road finland-fluorescent-antlersaccidents involving reindeer which roam all over the place. They have painted the antlers of 20 deer with fluorescent dyes to see how the animals react and whether the dyes will survive the harsh Arctic climate. If successful the animals will be free to roam Lapland where herders have some 200,000 reindeer. Won’t be just Rudolph who guides the Christmas sleigh.

I eat a very simple breakfast of cereal, as a kid we had a lot more, my father loved a large variety of different foods for breakfast, things like herrings rolled in oatmeal and fried, or salt beef and so on, bacon and eggs too, but nothing different about that. Cooking.com have come up with some breakfast suggestions and this one appealed to me. Breakfast anyone?

Individual Ricotta and Egg Casseroles with Spinach and Tomato

Source: America's Test Kitchen
Makes 6

Rec Image
Removing the excess moisture from the spinach is important here. We found that 7-ounce ramekins worked perfectly here, but 6-ounce or 8-ounce ramekins will also work. Be sure to fill the ramekins evenly so that they will all cook at the same rate.

INGREDIENTS
1 onion, chopped fine
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 garlic cloves, minced
12 ounces (1 1/2 cups) whole-milk ricotta cheese
10 ounces frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
4 ounces fontina cheese, shredded (1 cup)
4 large eggs, lightly beaten
1/4 teaspoon pepper
2 plum tomatoes, cored, sliced 1/8 inch thick, and patted dry

DIRECTIONS
Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease six 7-ounce ramekins with baking spray with flour and arrange on rimmed baking sheet.
Cook onion, oil, and salt in 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Transfer mixture to large bowl and stir in ricotta, spinach, fontina, eggs, and pepper until uniformly combined.
Divide mixture evenly among prepared ramekins and shingle tomatoes over top. Bake until filling is set, about 25 minutes. Let cool slightly before serving.

Have a great day
Jo

10 comments:

  1. Glow in the dark reindeer - LOL! It just might work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One hopes so. Of course we already knew there was one reindeer which glowed in the dark.

      Delete
  2. Yeah, that was heartbreaking for the women to lose in the last minute. Sorry, but I hope the men's team redeems them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I, of course, hope Canada wins. At least they were tied going in to overtime. They won the silver though which is belittled because everyone wants the gold. As one of the skaters said, we didn't lose the gold, we won the silver.

      Delete
  3. Fluorescent antlers? Really? I'd scare myself silly if I'd see that, and cause an accident because of it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess if you visited Finland you would know about it and not be scared.

      Delete
  4. I'm sure any would-be reindeer hunters/poachers will appreciate the glow in the dark antlers. I hope that sort of thing isn't a problem in Finland.

    And the Ukraine, I've spent some time there, and know folks who immigrated from there. They don't deserve this sort of turmoil.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope not too Rusty. One never knows these days though.

      It is very distressing, I do hope they can sort it out peacefully.

      Delete
  5. Congratulations! Canada has done well, as they should. America has a way of bragging their way out of the top - I want them to win, really, but claiming the gold before it happens is sour grapes. I could be wrong maybe the other countries do the same but American TV and the internet say otherwise. Skill and grace go a long, long way! I was so happy for the 17 year old that won the skating - she did it beautifully! But my heart broke for the 15 year old Russian girl (sorry so bad with names) - she looked as though she had the weight of the entire Russian Federation on her shoulders - which she did.
    Voting Ford back in would be a way for the voters to thumb their nose at all politicians, but at what cost! Sad, but politics really is nothing but comedy - of errors for sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On Canada's behalf, I thank you. I don't suppose Americans are the only ones, but if we do it ourselves, we mostly don't hear it. I have to look up the names when I am talking about them. I love to see the up and coming youngsters who are so good and will probably be the top stars of tomorrow.

      I have an extremely strong antipathy to that man and I would hate to see him re-elected.

      Delete