Friday, January 10, 2014

PBS, Movies, Weather, A to Z.

South PacificI think I told you that a week or two back we were watching a great documentary about Oscar Hammerstein II. For years we have meant to join PBS (WNED out of Buffalo) and this time we decided to do so. Our gift of thanks was 12 DVDs of Rodgers and Hammerstein movies. In fact there are actually 6 movies and then 6 discs which I presume are all about the movies. Haven’t checked it out yet, they arrived in Thursday’s mail so, in the evening, we watched South Pacific. We also have Sound of Music, Oklahoma, Carousel, State Fair and The King and I. All old shows but the music was and is fabulous. Most of it we know word for word and I usually end up crying and the sad bits. When I was younger I absolutely adored Rossano Brazzi, I found I wasn’t so gaga about him watching the movie. Maybe because I later fell for Yul Brynner. That reminds me, we were talking about Judi Dench and I was staggered to find she is 79, I should look so good, also I was very surprised to find she was a Quaker. Not something you hear about much in England.

Being Thursday, we went bowling, the less said about it the better. Not a good day for us. However, the weather was absolutely gorgeous. A  lot warmer and the sun was shining beautifully. In fact our apartment got too hot. We are told it is going to be 1°C on Saturday with possibility of rain. With all the frozen snow, that could cause quite a bit of flooding in the area. One of the owners at the bowling alley was concerned about his eaves which are loaded with frozen snow and ice and which could well break from the strain if it does rain. So glad we don’t have to worry about such things. It’s at times like this when one can really see the advantages in living in an apartment building.

Would you believe I have already started writing blogs for the A to Z in April? One idea I have had since last April shortly towards the end of that blogfest. Amazing I even remembered it for this long. Still got to find 24 more ideas though, not to mention appropriate recipes.

Here’s a recipe from WebMD which is right up my alley. Not sure about the frozen yoghurt, think I would opt for whipped cream..

Hot Fudge Pudding Cake

Hot Fudge Pudding Cake
WebMD Recipe from EatingWell.com

Serve this dense, fudgy pudding cake with vanilla frozen yogurt.

Ingredients
 
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/3 cup sugar
  • 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup nonfat milk
  • 1 large egg, lightly beaten
  • 2 tablespoons canola oil
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/4 cup pecan halves, toasted
  • 3/4 cup brown sugar
  • 1 1/3 cups hot strong coffee
Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 375°F. Lightly coat an 8-by-8-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
  2. Stir together flour, sugar, cocoa, baking powder and salt in a large bowl. Combine milk, egg, oil and vanilla in a glass measuring cup. Make a well in center of the dry ingredients and gradually pour in the milk mixture, stirring until combined. Stir in pecans. Spoon into the prepared pan and spread evenly.
  3. Dissolve brown sugar in coffee; spoon over batter. Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, about 25 minutes. Let stand for 10 minutes; serve hot or warm.
Have a great day
Jo (2)





14 comments:

  1. I enjoy the old shows too but usually have to watch them in sections as I tend to fall asleep if watching TV - always been the same!
    I'm glad your weather is warming a little. Our rain/storms have eased here as well and it makes such a change to see blue sky and a bit of sunshine (albeit weak)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I fall asleep sometimes watching TV, but not R & H movies.

      I am glad about the weather too, I was sick of being cold. Glad your weather has cleared a bit too.

      Delete
  2. I love the sound of those musicals ! Enjoy. Your weather doesn't sound too bad. It is mild here in Spain.
    Naughty recipe!

    Happy New Year

    Denise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lucky you Denise, I love Spain. My parents lived in Alicante for a number of years and we visited them regularly. Happy New Year to you too.

      Delete
  3. WebMD has fudge recipes? When I gain all my weight back I can blame it on WebMD I guess.

    My wife loves those movies too. Me, I occasionally see one I really like, but often get to distracted by the accents, or the matte paintings, or the style of clothing, or whatever it is, and then forget to pay attention to the actual movie. So I end up not having any idea what's happening and I have to ask my wife to explain it to me, then she's annoyed.

    So I tend not to watch them, it's happened enough that I'm pretty sure that it's better for everyone that way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just avoid the fudge Rusty,

      Pity you don't get to see them properly, they are/were wonderful movies with great music.

      Delete
  4. I haven't started writing my Challenge posts, but I have started planning them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your posts are a lot more complicated than mine. Must take a lot of planning.

      Delete
  5. Hi, Jo,

    Happy New Year!

    Thanks so much for the nice comment on my blog. I have certainly seen you around and I believe I have dropped by your blog a few times .. I must have because I did follow you during the a-z ... I think. LOL.

    Speaking of which.... YOU ALREADY STARTED writing posts! WOW. That is impressive.

    Doing recipes? This one looks AWESOME. As you know I LOVE to bake and since one of the ingredients is COFFEE... and the other CHOCOLATE! I must copy this one... You are really TESTING my resistance with this one. LOL Thanks.

    I will definitely look forward to more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for dropping in again Michael. It's amazing how we often see the same people and yet don't necessarily read their blogs.

      My recipes wander through the whole gamut of cooking I guess, so no telling when you will see another which specially appeals. I publish recipes which appeal to me and which I have either tried or intend to do in the near future.

      Delete
  6. I love pudding cake. I have not made one in a while.
    Good for you, getting those movies.
    I never think about Quakers in England either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nor me, I probably will delay this one for a while too as I am still trying to lose weight. We will really enjoy the movies.

      I know, Quakers seem so American to me.

      Delete
  7. Did you know that the singing voice of only one of the actors/actresses features in 'South Pacific'? I think it was Mitzi Gaynor who apparently had Broadway experience but every other singing voice, including the children, was recorded by 'Ghost singers'.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I didn't know that Mike, but it doesn't surprise me. I commented last night that I thought Bloody Mary and Emile du Beck must have been dubbed. Whatever, it's a great movie.

    ReplyDelete