Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Chia Seeds, Chocolate Kisses, Mandarin.

Chia PetsAlmost ever since I was told I had diabetes, I have been eating flax every day. These days one hears so much about chia seeds and how they are even better for you than flax, so, although they are pretty expensive, we bought some yesterday to try. Chia seeds are the things you put on Chia pets to grow green critters. We have a good friend who takes them all the time and swears by them, sound like a cure all for everything. So we will see what happens.

I am getting very frustrated. Hershey assures me I can buy dark Dark kisseschocolate Kisses in Canada. We have been hunting around for a while and cannot find them anywhere. Matt doesn’t enjoy milk chocolate and when we are in the States he can get the dark chocolate Kisses. Amazon.com have them but can’t ship them to me, international shipping laws I suppose. We brought some bags home in September, but they, of course, have long gone. Hmm, just saw an ad for them at Walmart. I wonder if Walmart in Canada stock them, haven’t tried there. Damn, we were in Walmart yesterday buying a new frying pan.

I have talked about the Mandarin Chinese restaurant where we love to eat. Going for lunch today with a couple of friends as we want to get in a visit before they increase their prices because they start offering Christmas goodies like turkey. Who on earth goes to the Mandarin to eat turkey, I surely don’t.  I’m only sorry the moon festival is well and truly over, I do like the moon cakes even if no-one else does. I suppose one wouldn’t look forward to them if these seasonal specials were available all the time.

This looks like a delicious pecan pie, I have been coming across lots of them lately, anyone would think the US Thanksgiving was coming up. I think I would use butter by the way.

Pecan Pie

By ann hugo on November 02, 2001
Photo
Photo by gailanng

Serves: 4-6,  

About This Recipe
"this is a very smooth center pecan pie..melts in your mouth ..also from fireman's firehouse cookbook...a real beauty of a pie .."

Ingredients

    • 1/2-1 cup margarine
    • 2 cups light brown sugar, packed
    • 3 eggs
    • 1 (9 inch) pie shell
    • 1/4 teaspoon salt
    • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
    • 1 1/2 cups pecans, chopped

Directions

  1. In a saucepan, melt margarine with brown sugar.
  2. Add eggs, salt, and vanilla and mix well.
  3. Add pecans.
  4. Pour mixture into an unbaked pie shell.
  5. Bake in preheated oven at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.
Have a great day
Jo_thumb[2]

6 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I thought so too. Do you get pecans in South Africa?

      Delete
  2. I am with you on the dark chocolate, though I had some really good milk chocolate made with real milk in Switzerland. Here is a link to the recipe for the sauerkraut. http://allrecipes.com/recipe/sausage-and-sauerkraut/ I finished it in my slow cooker instead of using the oven. I also added a little wine, a can of mushrooms and two tablespoons more of the brown sugar. I think it depends on how sour your sauerkraut is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like milk chocolate myself, it's my hubby that likes the dark. Switzerland is the place for chocolate. Master chocolatiers.

    Thanks for the link. I will check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mandarin Chinese... yum!
    If you start sprouting green in your hair, it might be time to back off the chia seeds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dunno Alex, thought about changing my hair colour, green was not what I had planned, but you never know.

      Delete