Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Grouse, Anniversary, Vincenzo’s.

Well after all my grousing yesterday, I do feel better today. What an Red Grouseodd word grouse is, do Grouse grouse? I just did some Googling and Wiki tells me the grouse with which I am familiar is the Red Grouse which is considered a game bird and as every Britisher of my age group knows, is hunted from August 12th or The Glorious Twelfth. I have never eaten a grouse and understand it is a similar bird to the Ptarmigan and the only thing I know about that is that in The Clan of the Cave Bear, it was a favourite of their Mog Ur when cooked stuffed with its own eggs. I imagine Red Grouse are very good eating from all I have heard and the amount which are shot each year. However, I still haven’t found a connection between the bird and grousing or complaining.

Today the old man and I celebrate 41 years of wedded bliss, or something, and have decided to go to the Boa Nova Rodizio Boa Nova SkewersGrill which calls itself a Portuguese restaurant with a Brazilian twist; in Kitchener. You know; where they bring the skewers of fire roasted meats to your table and carve off what you require. Delicious. There is an hors d’oeuvres bar and then when you are ready you eat the barbecued meats and if you wish you can finish with barbecued pineapple. I just realised today that in fact the pineapple isn’t considered dessert and they have desserts as well. They gave Matt a cheesecake with a candle for his birthday some years ago, so I guess I should have known. Our anniversary is yet another of those celebrations where I drink fizz, or wines made by the methode champenoise. Sparkling wine anyway.

This is getting like being on vacation because Thursday we will be eating at the Red Lobster prior to our first Travel League outing this season. Now where can we go Friday? I gained a few pounds whilst away so I actually have to work at losing them again. Restaurants don’t help.

Think I mentioned I brought back some Kimchi from NC. Meant to get more. Matt doesn’t like it but I adore it. I guess I could make my own, but don’t really have room in an apartment for storage of such things. I decided to call my favourite deli store, Vincenzo’s and lo and behold, they have it. Not only that, I thought I would ask about horseradish and they assure me they have one which brings tears to the eyes. They are a good place to shop so I believe them and will try it out. Now we have a different bowling alley, we don’t pass them each week so have to make a special trip.

This recipe comes from Kevin at Closet Cooking who is also a fan of Kimchi and does make his own. Actually, re-reading it, maybe I will have a go at making my own. Not sure if I can get gochugaru, maybe I should check in Vincenzo’s for that too.

Kimchi

Ingredients:
1 medium napa cabbage (about 2-3 pounds)Kimchi
1/2 cup salt
1 bunch green onions (sliced into 1 inch pieces)
4 cloves garlic (chopped)
1 inch ginger (grated)
1 cup gochugaru (Korean red chili flakes)
2 tablespoons fish sauce (or soy sauce for a vegetarian version)

Directions:
1. Cut the napa cabbage in half, remove the core and slice the cabbage into 1 inch wide strips.
2. Place a layer of cabbage into a large bowl and sprinkle some salt onto the cabbage. Repeat until all of the cabbage is in the bowl and salted.
3. Let the cabbage sit in the salt for a few hours.
4. Rinse the salt from the cabbage.
5. Mix the cabbage, green onions, garlic, ginger, gochugaru and fish sauce in the large bowl.
6. Place the cabbage mixture into a sealable container, leave a couple of inches at the top.
7. Seal the container and let ferment at room temperature for 2-3 days.
8. Place the container in the fridge and let ferment for a couple more days.

Have a great day
Jo_thumb[2]

10 comments:

  1. Ah, but the most Famous Grouse is a whisky!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True Bob, I had forgotten about that. Maybe that's the origin of complaining when you are out of scotch.

      Delete
  2. Wow!! I have no idea to use pineapple as desert. It is very interesting.


    Regards,
    Trip advisor

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy anniversary! Just write this week off as a freebie and enjoy eating out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alex. Trouble is I already had two freebies when in NC. I would eat more seafood if I lived where you do, but not easy here.

      Delete
  4. Congrats on 41 years! I've tried kimchi. Sorry, not for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Diane.

      Each to his own although your area is a good place to get it with all the Marines. In fact it was a Marine friend who introduced it to me originally.

      Delete
  5. Happy Anniversary, Jo!! Enjoy the celebration, the company, the food and wine, and worry about pounds later. They'll still be there. ;) Dragon Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Al. I did, but I still worried. Thanks for the dragon hugs, I am going to need them.

    ReplyDelete