Friday, May 24, 2013

Thursday Morning, Windows, Android, Mounties

What a lovely morning, we were told late Wednesday afternoon that Bluebirdbestthey would be coming to fix our bedroom windows in the apartment, after 38 years the frames were beginning to rot out as I mentioned previously. Not only that, but after all that time the glass was etched from the screen and nothing would clean it off.  Not the balcony windows you can see in the picture, but the smaller windows ether side.  We are tucked right in the corner behind the tree. So, around 8:30 a.m. they arrived (I was still dressing) so Matt sent them into the computer room to start. I threw my clothes on and dashed in there to cover all the electronics. One older guy was relatively quiet but his two young assistants could NOT close door quietly and they were in and out, in and out, it was driving me crazy. I said before we had had a device attached to our front door to make it close and that was slamming too (the older guy was the one who installed it so he adjusted it so no slamming there) but leaving a door open when the glass was not in made the door slam too. Jeez. My noives, my noives. That’s without the banging and drilling of course although that hasn’t been too, too bad. My biggest complaint was having to get up and get dressed early. That’s three times this week, I don’t do early, well not dressed etc. early anyway.

Hey it’s quiet, all done, lovely new windows and we can see out of them. Only trouble is, we can’t open them because they have no screens. Those are on backorder apparently. I do hope they won’t take too long. I am not sure how you clean them either, I suppose one can take them out although that looks like a difficult job and not one I think we can cope with.

At the moment I am waiting with bated breath until Androidmy new Android arrives, which it should do any day – Worldstart said 5 days but that may not have taken into account that it was being shipped into Canada. Just my luck it will arrive tomorrow when I am out getting my CPAP machine. Of course I don’t have a clue how to use it but I expect I will enjoy finding out. I don't know but assume it will be an Apple system which I have never used.

I didn't know, until I saw the Google Doodle that May 23, 2013 is the 140th anniversary of the founding of the North West Mounted Police. strains of Rose Marie in the background.


Asparagus in Bed

1 lb Ontario asparagus, trimmed Asparagus in Bed
8 eggs
1 Tbs vinegar
2 Tbs unsalted butter, melted
2 Tbs fresh lemon juice
8 slices prosciutto
freshly grated pepper
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese

Preheat oven to 450º F (230º C). Steam or simmer asparagus just until tender-crisp, 3 to 5 minutes; drain well. Fill large skillet with water. Add vinegar and bring to simmer over medium heat. Slip eggs, one at a time, into simmering water; cook until whites are firm and yolks are just set. Remove eggs with slotted spoon and carefully blot dry with paper towel. (Eggs may be poached several hours in advance; transfer to bowl and cover with cold water. Drain well before proceeding.) Divide butter among 4 gratin dishes. Divide asparagus among dishes; drizzle with lemon juice. Drape proscuitto over top. Arrange 2 eggs on top of each prosciutto. Season with pepper to taste. Sprinkle cheese over top. Bake for 3 to 4 minutes or just until cheese melts. Serve immediately.

Servings: 4
Source: Asparagus Growers' Marketing Board

Have a great day
Jo_thumb[2]

10 comments:

  1. So funny. Young people can be so noisy. I think as we age we become quieter because we appreciate the quiet more. I love the quiet of my house.

    Lee
    A Faraway View

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right Lee. They were driving me nuts with the slamming doors more than anything else.

      Delete
  2. Ah, I know the early morning construction noise, and constant in and out of the workers. I love my mornings as my time, too.

    I did list my five favorite things, it was fun and once awake found it easy to write. But here I am, up late again, and tomorrow is such a busy day. Good night, have a great Friday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will check out your 5 happys. Sounds like you need to get some more sleep time.

      Delete
  3. Oh, I hate it when I've had work done on the house for all the reasons you mention. I had another window (tall one) put in my office. To clean it I do have to take the screen out. Not too bad to take out and put back. Most of the time.

    Have fun with the new gadget!

    Sia McKye OVER COFFEE

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, but we are on the fifth floor, I assume they have to be taken out, not sure we can do it.

      Haven't got it yet.

      Delete
  4. Jo glad your windows got done, hope they left it in a tidy state. How are you getting on with your android? blessings for the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very tidy, but dusty.

      Haven't got my android yet Amanda, doesn't look like it will arrive today now, maybe Monday. Not a holiday here.

      Delete
  5. Woah that Android is gonna be a blast! I do early all the time and i wish I did later actually ...I seem to work on an opposite time clock. Good news our asparagus is finally in! On to the soup!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so, you maybe missed the blog where I mentioned it before, it was for sale for $149 which I thought was a very good deal.

      Don't forget some of the other asparagus recipes, they are good.

      Delete