Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Prostitutes Retire, Hyperlink, A to Z Blogfest

Fokkens sistersIncredible story of twin sisters who have just retired after 50 years as prostitutes in Amsterdam, The Netherlands. They said they were getting a bit tired and had touches of arthritis. They worked in Amsterdam’s red light district. Their names were Louise and Martine Fokkens. Unbelievable. They estimate they have dealt with 350,000 customers between them in that long time, the longest of any sex worker in Amsterdam. They made enough money to buy themselves a house. I must admit I am a bit took aback and wonder just how many customers they had in their latter years.

Having done the Top 10 Movies Blogfest, I noticed a lot of people were not using the Hyperlink recommended by Shannon on the A to Z Blogfest page. It really does make it easier to find people who leave comments so I recommend those of you, who haven’t done so, make your own before April 1 which, Hilary Melton-Butcher just reminded me, is April Fool’s Day. Everyone seems to be gearing up for the Blogfest to end all Blogfests. If you haven’t done so you can click my A to Z badge and get to the sign up page and add your name to the fun. I just checked and at present there are 1161 blogs taking part. I am a minion for L. Diane Wolfe, or a Spunky Soldier, so will be helping to check on blogs and leave comments or see if the blogger is making it and/or needs help maybe.

As I have had an incipient migraine all day, that’s it for now. We have had lots of snow today and are supposed to have more before its all over. Ah well, when I came here I knew it snowed.
I like pickled carrots so will be giving this one a go.


Dilly Carrots

WebMD Recipe from EatingWell.com
Try these garlicky-dilly pickled carrots chopped in your dinner salad for a burst of flavor. They are gluten free too.

Ingredients

Prep: 40 minutes (plus 1 day marinating time) | Total Time: 40 dilly_carrotsminutes
  • 2 1/2 pounds carrots, peeled and cut into 3-inch sticks (about 9 cups)
  • 12-24 sprigs fresh dill
  • 3-6 whole large cloves garlic, sliced
  • 3 cups distilled white vinegar, or cider vinegar
  • 3 cups water
  • 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons sea salt
  • 2 tablespoons sugar
Instructions
  1. Place a large bowl of ice water next to the stove. Bring a large pot of water to a boil in a large pot. Add half of the carrot sticks, cover, return to a boil and cook for 2 minutes. Use a slotted spoon to transfer the carrots to the ice water to cool. Repeat with the remaining carrots.
  2. Drain the cooled carrots and divide among 6 pint-size (2-cup) canning jars or similar-size tempered-glass or heatproof-plastic containers with lids. Divide the dill and garlic among the jars.
  3. Combine vinegar, 3 cups water, salt and sugar in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil and stir until the salt and sugar dissolve. Boil for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat.
  4. Carefully fill jars (or containers) with brine to within 1/2 inch of the rim, covering the carrots completely. (Discard any leftover brine.)
  5. Place the lids on the jars (or containers). Refrigerate for at least 24 hours before serving. Store in the refrigerator for up to 1 month.
Have a great day
Jo_thumb[2]

12 comments:

  1. Hi Jo - thanks for reminding me re the hyperlink - I must work that out ...

    A - Z and April Fool's Day .. always a good start to Spring .. cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Makes it so much easier all round, its easy enoough to do.

      What's spring? Don't think we are getting that here this year.

      Delete
  2. Amazing story about the twin Sisters ... what a way to earn a living though :-(
    Hope the migraine goes quickly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oldest profession in the world Sue. But 50 years!!

      Migraine never really developed, but didn't go away either.

      Delete
  3. 50 years?! Holy cow.

    Sorry about your migraine, I hate them but don't get them half much as I did in my 30's. Thankfully.

    I've never had picked carrots. That's a first for me. I guess you can pickle about anything. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I think so Sia, I have eaten pickled carrots (in Scandinavia first I think) and loved them.

      Don't get migraines often these days, thank the lord, but once in a while.

      Delete
  4. Thankfully, the two prostis didn't spend all their money on sex, drugs and rock and roll (or maybe they did ...)

    Popped in from the Blog Blitz.

    thriftshopcommando.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well the article said they had bought a house, so I don't think so.

      Thanks for visiting Tami.

      Delete
  5. Sorry, I've just never got around to using the hyperlink in my signature. At least my profile leads to my blog, which some don't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Alex, yours does, but some people have more than one blog and then you have to try each one to see if its the right one, does become a tad irritating.

      Delete
  6. Thankfully I have just one blog on this id, have not linked my earlier blogs, so have not tried adding the hyperlink. Very interesting story on the sisters and I love how you weave in a recipe into each of your posts. Also, they cover multiple topics each time, which I have not seen many do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you have enjoyed my blogs Sumita. Thanks so much for dropping by.

      Delete