So the 115 cardinals had a final meeting debating the role of the Pope in this new century. I would love to be a fly on the wall for all this and for the conclave starting tomorrow. News people are there en masse waiting to see the white smoke (difficult to achieve I understand) and to hear the bells announcing that they have come to a decision. I wonder how acrimonious these conclaves become? It is all so secret I guess we will never know. One thing I think they should re-introduce is marriage for priests, a few hundred years ago, they were married, I don’t really understand why they changed it.
After two days of sunshine we had a lot of rain on Monday, not doing the snow much good so a lot of it has disappeared. However, we understand that there is more snow on the way, we really need some more.
These Brownies are classified as Healthy so I am including the nutrition information. I can’t resist Brownies, the first time I ever ate one was at a delightful little restaurant in Canterbury, Kent, England probably about 40 years ago. The restaurant was owned by a young American who had been studying at Canterbury University and had stayed on to open his restaurant. Not there any more sadly.
Fudgy Chocolate BrowniesContributed by Grace Parisi
SERVINGS:MAKES 16 BROWNIES
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sifted all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa, preferably Dutch process
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 ounce semisweet chocolate, melted
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Butter a 9-inch square baking pan with 1/2 teaspoon of the butter. Sift together the flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt.
- Using an electric mixer, beat the sugar and the remaining butter. Add the egg and vanilla and beat until fluffy. Beat in the chocolate, then the applesauce. Beat in the dry ingredients on low speed until combined. Spread the batter in the prepared pan. Bake for about 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool, then cut into squares.
Have a great day