Saturday, May 28, 2011

Movie, Angioplasty, Stupid Question.

I downloaded Billy Elliot from iTunes Billy Elliot(rental) as our granddaughter recently took part in the show. Of course what I actually saw was not the musical, so I will have to wait and see that later. Bearing in mind the progress of the film, I can’t imagine it as a musical – the background is of striking miners in the UK and consequently a fair amount of poverty plus a conviction on the part of most of the cast that if you wanted to be a ballet dancer you must be gay and all real boys should want to do was box, play soccer, wrestle or something, certainly not dance. I am not perfectly sure I hadn’t seen the movie before, but if so it was quite a while back. I was a tad disappointed at the end when Billy was shown at the Haymarket Theatre in London, I would have liked to have seen more of that performance. The musical is on in Toronto at the moment, hopefully it will be staged in Kitchener’s Centre in the Square and I can go see it.

I finally heard from the vascular surgeon yesterday, it is only 7 months since I saw him, bloody ridiculous, but Guelph Hospital only allows 4 angioplasties a month for vascular problems. Alright for them, but what about those of us who can hardly walk. I feel sorry for some people who have even more problems than I do not least of which are open sores which won’t heal. I don’t understand leaving the problem (blockages in the vascular system) until it gets to that stage. However, the upshot is, I am definitely scheduled for June 15 at 8 a.m. As a friend commented on Facebook, I might be able to walk along the beach when I go down to NC in September.

I heard a silly thing on GMA today, it was a father/grandfather being interviewed in a witness box. The lawyer asked if he had smelled an odour coming from the car, he replied yes. The lawyer then asked “was it the odour of a decaying human corpse?” How the heck would he, or anyone else, know? Have most of us ever smelled such a thing? I certainly haven’t so I wouldn’t have a clue if and when I did. Luckily when I worked in a funeral home, where you might encounter that odour now and again, I had lost my sense of smell, but for most people they would never come across such a smell. Stupid. I understand it is a very powerful odour, but if you had never encountered it before, how could you possibly know what it was?

Tonight we are going to a friend’s home for dinner so obviously I have no idea what we will be eating. Makes a nice change though, I sometimes think deciding what to eat is much harder than making it.

This side dish from Kraft looked appealing to me and is relatively simple to do. Vitamin C (obtainable in peppers) is also very good for the skin.

Zesty Grilled Veggies

Kraft Kitchens

Zesty Grilled Veggies recipe

8 servings

4 zucchini (1-1/2 lb.), cut diagonally into 1/2-inch-thick slices

3 each red and yellow peppers (1-3/4 lb.), cut into 1/2-inch-wide strips

1/4 cup KRAFT Zesty Italian Dressing

1/4 cup KRAFT Grated Parmesan Cheese

HEAT grill to medium heat.

PLACE vegetables in grill basket.

GRILL 10 min. or until crisp-tender, turning occasionally. Place in large bowl.

ADD dressing; toss to coat. Sprinkle with cheese.

Kraft Kitchens Tips

How to Grill Without a Grill Basket

Cover grill grate with large sheet of heavy-duty foil before heating grill as directed. Spread vegetables onto foil. Grill as directed, stirring occasionally.

How to Buy Peppers

Look for peppers with very bright colors and a firm thick flesh. Refrigerate unwashed peppers in a plastic bag for up to 2 weeks.

Have a great weekend

Jo

4 comments:

  1. We love the musical, obviously. It feels like part of our lives now. Seen it three times in the West End. It works beautifully and will make you laugh and cry and you'll leave the theatre feeling good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I ever get to see it. Just discovered a friend went to see it yesterday and loved it. She didn't invite me. Grrrr.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jo, rotten potatoes - that's what it smells like apparently. (Ask a true crime writer!!)

    I saw Billy Elliot and I liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Marilyn, I think. I do know what they smell like, revolting.

    Lucky you, hope I get to see it too.

    ReplyDelete