Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Wedding Date, 50, Shots in Korea

So the wedding date is April 29 for the royal couple. So much for the people who bet it would be in July. They will be getting married in Westminster Abbey where the queen was both married and crowned. Not in St. Paul’s where Charles and Diana got married. Friends on Facebook were discussing whether it would be a holiday or not, rest easy guys, it will be a National Holiday, that is for all the people who are not police, nurses, prison officers, etc. etc.

robin_roberts_gma_fiftyRobin Roberts, one of the hosts on Good Morning America, turned 50 today and the whole programme was full of well wishes to her from all kinds of people. Not a bad way to celebrate one’s birthday. I remember we went to a Greek restaurant in Brantford for my 50th birthday dinner. Sadly the restaurant is no longer there, the food was superb.  For Matt I hired some caterers and invited friends to dinner. It was a good evening. We also had someone to serve and clean up so it was a double present really.

It really is quite incredible the difference in people today and when I was young. People were getting old at 50 in those days and even if they didn’t shuffle off their mortal coil too soon after, they were old people. (I don’t just mean in my perception). I guess a lot is due to medical science and to the availability of so much fitness advice and knowledge, but people are much younger seeming today. In fact I just discovered a man with whom we bowl every week is 86. I was staggered, several of us were, I wouldn’t have guessed his age at all, maybe in the 70s. When you see all the people, seniors, we bowl with each week, it makes you realise the difference, once octogenarians were very old, doddery and decrepit, not any more. I assume it’s the same in all Western countries, but I don’t really know. I certainly think life in North America seems to keep people younger. It was one of the first things I noticed when I came to live here.

Looks like there is trouble brewing between North and South Korea. I do hope it doesn’t amount to anything serious. http://tinyurl.com/2utqqrn will give you a video and GMA’s report on the current situation.

I have always loved chestnut stuffing in turkey. The regular kind is so very easy to make. However this one is a different twist and I thought it would be a good one to try.

Chestnut and Apple Stuffing

Source: Eating Well by Burt Wolf

Makes about 8 cups

INGREDIENTS

5 thick slices bacon, cut into 1/2-inch piecesChestnut and apple

1 cup diced celery

1/2 cup sliced scallions

1 cup canned chestnuts, coarsely chopped

3 cups apple cider

2 egg yolks

1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

10 cups of bite-sized pieces of stale bread

2 unpeeled apples, cored and coarsely chopped

DIRECTIONS

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.

Cook the bacon in a skillet over medium heat until crisp. With a slotted spoon, remove the bacon to a bowl. Pour all but 2 tablespoons of bacon fat from the skillet. Add the celery, scallions, and chestnuts and cook over medium heat until vegetables are softened, about 5 minutes.

Place bacon and sautéed vegetables in a bowl. Add the cider, egg yolks, and pepper. Mix. Add bread and toss until liquid is absorbed. Mix in the apples.

Place in a 9-x-13-inch baking pan or an ovenproof casserole and bake for 45 minutes.

Serving size = 1/2 cup

Have a great day.

Jo

2 comments:

  1. I agree, Jo, people, by and large, are staying young for longer. I know many people of my own age and older who regularly go on adventure travels, still swim or play sport or go to the gym, read the latest books, see the newest movies and discuss popular culture.

    One thing I've noticed is that most of these oldies have a wide range of friends, age-wise. Not usually the twenty or thirty-somethings, but people twenty or thirty years younger than they are, as well as contemporaries and near comtemps. By and large, people under forty have different goals and interests and so don't feel drawn to the elderly, but people 40+ are often more adaptable and can form a bridge between generations.

    Limiting our friendships to our own generation is a sure way to grow old quickly and to lose touch with the modern world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ain't that the truth? I agree with you about having younger friends, it certainly makes a difference.

    ReplyDelete