Friday, August 20, 2010

Chocolate, South Pacific

A friend in the UK was telling us about a Mother’s Day present she got (March is Mother’s Day in the UK) and finally took advantage of recently. With her daughter they went to My Chocolate http://www.mychocolate.co.uk/ where they had a fabulous time learning about chocolate and making various chocolate items which they could then take home. She said they had a wonderful day. I just wish there was something similar round here, it would be right up my street. I would probably have a hard time staying away from the place.

South Pacific The other night we watched a new production of South Pacific at the Lincoln Centre. It has been running for a while now and there is also a touring company which is presently performing in Toronto. Apparently this is the first time the show has been performed live in many years. The movie was made in 1959 and the show itself was first staged in 1949 adapted from Tales of the South Pacific by James A. Michener. It is touted as one of the greatest musicals of all time and it certainly has my vote. Of course I was in love with Rossano Brazzi who played the lead in the movie opposite Mitzi Gaynor. I blubber all the way through the movie and I blubbered watching it on TV the other night. In other words, I really enjoyed it. If you don’t know the show, and you are not in a position to see the live performance I recommend getting the movie of South Pacific one way or another. Then you can swoon over Rossano Brazzi as I did. I was just remembering the first time I saw the movie in London, in Leicester Square I think, but it was a long time ago.

A new email from Hershey’s containing all kinds of delicious looking sweet things – I chose these brownies to share with you.

Double Peanut Butter Paisley Brownies

Source: Hersheys

Ingredients:Peanut Butter Brownies

1/2 cup (1 stick) butter or margarine, softened

1/4 cup REESE'S Creamy Peanut Butter

1 cup granulated sugar

1 cup packed light brown sugar

3 eggs

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

2 cups all-purpose flour

2 teaspoons baking powder

1/4 teaspoon salt

1-2/3 cups (10-oz. pkg.) REESE'S Peanut Butter Chips

1/2 cup HERSHEY'S Syrup

Directions:

1. Heat oven to 350°F. Grease 13x9x2-inch baking pan. 2. Beat butter and peanut butter in large bowl. Add sugar and brown sugar; beat well. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Blend in vanilla. 3. Stir together flour, baking powder and salt; mix into peanut butter mixture, blending well. Stir in peanut butter chips. Spread half of batter into prepared pan; spoon syrup over top. Carefully top with remaining batter; swirl with metal spatula or knife for marbled effect. 4. Bake 35 to 40 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool completely in pan on wire rack. Cut into squares. About 36 brownies.

Have a great day.

Jo

No comments:

Post a Comment