Monday, July 26, 2010

Bloodwork, Dengue Fever

I was up at the crack of dawn this morning – or at least as far as I am concerned - to go for blood work. I got there at 6:40 and there were still 4 people before me. Makes me wonder what time the others got up.

I felt very sorry for one of the editors of an ezine I take, he has been out of a proper job for a vey long time. He managed to get a part time job bagging in a grocery store, but obviously not enough to pay his mortgage. Along with so many, he is losing his home – luckily he has somewhere to live for a while, but…..

On Good Morning America they mentioned presence of Dengue Fever in the Keys (Florida). It is delivered by one of the many mosquito breeds and can make you pretty sick – there are even people who have died from it. One doesn’t normally think of Dengue Fever in this part of the world, but it has become very prevalent in the Caribbean.

My desktop died on me yesterday and I need to get someone to come in. These days lugging a tower around is not very easy for us. They guy who used to come in and fix my PC doesn’t seem to want to reply to my messages. So, sorry if there are any typos, I find typing on a laptop very difficult.

I promised to give you the “sides” recipes from our dinner party on Saturday night. They turned out very well. The first was a rice pilaf and I thought it was delicious. We finished it off on Sunday and it was still good.

Simple Rice Pilaf

2 Tbs butter   Rice Pilaf
1/2 cup chopped onion
3/4 cup basmati rice uncooked
1 1/2 cup chicken broth
1/2 cup currants
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/4 cup chopped walnuts (pecans), toasted
1 Tbs fresh oregano leaves
1/4 cup chopped walnuts (pecans), toasted

1. Melt the butter in a saucepan over med high heat. Add onion and sauté until tender. Add rice and sauté 3 to 5 min until rice is lightly browned.

2. Add broth and next 3 ingredients. Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat and simmer 25 mins or until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed. Add walnuts and oregano. Toss gently.

Servings: 4

Source: Cooking Light Recipes 1996

Have a great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment