Friday, April 23, 2010

Asparagus, Bowling Banquet.

Sorry there was no blog yesterday, first Matt had another slight TIA and we were dithering about whether he should go to the hospital or not and then once it was all over I called our hairdresser and she said 10:00 (by now it was about 9:15) so we had to rush. Once that was over, I then had to deal with my Avon orders and later get ready for our bowling banquet in the evening. Lots of excuses, but all good reasons.

Then I checked Facebook and Barrie’s Asparagus had posted that they had a little asparagus for sale so that meant I had to arrange to pick some up before the banquet. Luckily the golf club where the banquet is held is close by. We got there around 5:15 and I saw Tim Barrie's farm store for the first time. They sell a lot of local produce or locally produced items. I didn't really have a lot of time for browsing but I know they have locally made chips with an asparagus flavour, local chocolates which, naturally, tempt me! They also sell corn in season and locally made produce and baked goods of all kinds. Then there are the soups, particularly asparagus soup starter which is sold in jars. Tim told me they are working on other asparagus based products such as salsa.

Leaving Barrie's farm, we were early at the golf club and had to wait for the rest of the party to turn up. We were in a different room which was smaller and a tad more cosy. There were only 22 of us but considering the bowling alley doesn't exist, that's not bad. I was surprised, one man, who had just lost his wife turned up, but I'm glad he did, seemed to enjoy himself. She was the main bowler of the family although he used to bowl years ago. It was nice to see all of these people many of whom we hadn't seen since last year although several of the others we will be seeing next Thursday as they are part of the travel league to which we belong. I was delighted, our friend who used to own the alley where we bowled (now closed down) presented me with a 300 pin for my achievement earlier this season. I thought that was so nice of her especially as my own alley had only given a mug the for pins over. I will try and scan the badge tomorrow.

I bought quite a lot of asparagus yesterday and will probably be turning some of it into Tim Barrie's mum's soup which is some of the best I have ever tasted and I didn't have nearly enough in the freezer last year. But I am looking forward to my first feed with lashings of butter on it, yum.

Barrie's Asparagus Soup Recipe

My Mom's Famous!!!

1 lb asparagus chopped 1/4 cup chopped onion 2 cups chicken broth 2 Tbs butter or margarine 2 Tbs flour 1/2 tsp salt dash pepper 1 cup milk 1/2 cup sour cream or yogurt 1 tsp fresh lemon juice fresh chives for garnish

1. In a covered saucepan, boil the asparagus, onion, and 1 cup of the chicken broth. When asparagus is still tender and bright green blend to a puree (this puree can be frozen and used for future batches).

2. In a large saucepan heat the butter and flour on medium to make a paste. Cook until golden. Stir occasionally as you add the 2nd cup chicken broth, making sure lumps don't form.

3. Stir in the salt, pepper, puree, milk. Bring to a boil.

4. Take soup off heat. Measure the yogurt or sour cream into a bowl and stir in spoonfuls of hot soup, little by little. Now, carefully stir this warmed yogurt or sour cream mixture back into the pan of soup.

5. Add a teaspoon of lemon juice, or to taste.

6. Serve in individual bowls, sprinkled with chopped chives.

7. (makes 3 1/2 to 4 cups of soup)

Servings: 4

Source Mrs. Barrie

Have a great day

2 comments:

  1. Sounds as if Matt's fine!

    My local hypermarket has lots of asparagus. I'm going to buy some.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah but its not the same as from the farm directly Marilyn. Visit Canada right now and I will prove it to you. I suppose any such farms would be quite a distance for you to travel. In fact, do you even have a car living in Paris? Lots of New Yorkers don't drive I know.

    ReplyDelete