Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Bingo, Pork Problems, Old Movies.

Woo hoo our team won the bowling bingo this Christmas. This was our sixth time of playing it, but our team leader has been playing many more years and she was jumping up and down with excitement. She had previously given us a gift of some gum drop cake and peanut butter balls. Before this year I had never heard of gum drop cake, we ate a piece last night, its good, basically like a regular Christmas cake. I shall be phoning her later today to aske how she makes both. The peanut butter was crunchy. Goooood. We also got little presents from the alley things like tree ornaments and candles, together with a few candy canes. Then while we were bowling the bingo game, one of the owners actually sang carols to us!!! Matt won a high scoring pair with someone too so we made a small profit on the day. I can't believe all the trouble I am having with getting a leg of pork for Boxing Day. (Dec. 26). Sobey's, the store where I ordered it, got one in at the weekend and someone went and cut it up into roasts. I called the manager again this morning and he was shorted on his delivery last night so he has called everyone anywhere to see if he can get the leg. I am not a happy camper. I have friends coming for lunch and I have promised them an English style pork roast with all the crackling on the skin. He is saving a small roast from the other leg in case he can't get it, but .....

Last night we watched two old movies, State of the Union with Catherine Hepburn and Spencer Tracey and Mr. Smith Goes to Washington with Jimmy Stewart. At first I thought we would turn off State of the Union because it was pretty political, but in the end we carried on with it and thoroughly enjoyed it. I had seen Mr. Smith Goes to Washington before many, many years ago and I enjoyed it both then and now. It includes this wonderful scene with Jimmy Stewart holding a Filibuster in the Senate which goes on for around 27 hours. If you are unsure of a Filibuster go to Wikpedia where you can read about Filibustering and its origins. It is fascinating to watch in the movie. In fact I am not sure this movie wasn't where I first really learned what Filibustering was. I may have heard the word in school, it is certainly a tactic which has been used in the British parliament, but seeing it portrayed in the movie brought it home to me much more. I always maintain that history should be taught to school kids on film, it sinks in better.

On one of my ezines this morning someone requested an Artichoke and Spinach Dip recipe. It reminded me of a dip I got from a friend which didn't include spinach but was one of the best dips I had ever tasted. I have made it since and always enjoyed it.

Laila Svjeneks' Artichoke Dip Serves: 8-12

1 cup (250 ml) mayonnaise 1 cup (250 ml) shredded mozzarella 1/2 cup (125 ml) freshly grated Parmesan cheese 1 Tbs (15 ml) grated onion 1/4 tsp (1 ml) hot sauce, or to taste 1 clove garlic, finely chopped Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste 1 14-oz (390 g) can artichoke hearts, drained and chopped Paprika to taste

Instructions: Combine the mayonnaise, mozzarella, Parmesan, onion, hot sauce, garlic, salt, and pepper in an electric blender or food processor and process until smooth. Add the artichokes and place in a small baking dish. Sprinkle with paprika and bake in a preheated 350F (180C) oven for 20 minutes, until bubbly. Serve warm with crackers or toasted pita bread triangles. Serves 8 to 12. Have a great day

No comments:

Post a Comment