Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Sardinian Diet, Pumpkin Soup.

On Good Morning America they were promoting the diet of the people of Sardinia which is basically the same as the Mediterranean Diet which is so widely talked about. However, it appears they don't have meat more than once a week and don't even eat much fish. To read just what they do eat, click here. In fact a shortage of meat probably comes from poverty originally, meat was generally unavailable and still is in many Mediterranean areas, unlike more wealthy modern societies where we stuff meat down ourselves most days of the week. Local bread, wine and cheeses were recommended. Also mentioned was a cheese which prolongs the life of Sardinian men and which is full of maggots!!!I might try their pecorino sardo, but not the maggoty one, yuk. Also the Sardinian wine was highly recommended being such a dark red it is called 'black wine' - you should drink the wine with your food too as that produces a very healty effect of scrubbing the arteries apparently. I'm all for that. I spent most of yesterday afternoon making Pumpkin Soup. Haven't made it in some years. Matt cut up the two small pumpkins and ended up blistering his hands they were so tough to cut and peel. We don't remember it being so difficult in previous years. Matt has said never again, but hopefully next time he won't remember how hard it was. I now have a freezer with a load of pumpkin soup amongst other soups of course. It turned out to be delicious despite the effort it took. I have posted the recipe before, but if you would like to give it a go and have a chain saw to cut the pumpkin *g*, here is the recipe I use. I originally got it from Time Life Foods of the World, but adapted it to make it more convenient for me. Because this came from an English version of Time Life Cookery Books, the pints are English ones which are 20 fl. oz. - I told the story about the first time I had pumpkin soup in the island of Malta at a barbecue held by the local yacht club. The soup was served inside a pumpkin which insulated the soup and kept it warm. It was wonderful and I have since done exactly that. Later I took the flesh from inside the pumpkin and made it into more soup. This recipe makes a good thick, stick to your tummy, soup. Pumpkin Soup 1/2 oz butter 2 Tbs finely chopped onion 2 Cups cooked Pumpkin 1 UK pt chicken stock 1 UK pt Half and half 1/8 tsp ground cloves 1/2 tsp sugar 1 tsp lemon juice 2-3 drops Tabasco 1/2 tsp salt 1. If using fresh pumpkin, cook it til mushy. If using canned, drain. 2. In a heavy 5 pt. saucepan, melt butter over mod. heat. When the foam subsides cook onion for 2 to 3 mins, stirring, until they are transparent but not brown. Add the pumpkin, stock, cloves, sugar,. lemon juice, Tabasco and salt. Stir thoroughly to blend all the ingredients 3. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to its lowest point and cook the soup, stirring occasionally, for 15 mins. Then purée the soup. Stir in the half and half and return the soup to a pan to reheat without boiling. Taste for seasoning. 4. Can be garnished with croutons and served hot, or served chilled with slices of chilled, peeled orange. Servings: 4 - 6 Have a great day.

2 comments:

  1. Jo, I was reading a French pumpkin recipe yesterday and I thought that I am going to try it. I will also try yours. Watch my blog because I am going to give the French recipe there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK I will watch for it. I am very fond of pumpkin soup although I don't eat pumpkin pie which is so popular in North America.

    ReplyDelete