Friday, September 4, 2009

Stye, Bowling and Microwave Meringues,

I have a stye, I haven't had a stye in years and now I have one. I am mightily fed up and that's being very polite. Just discovered the proper name is hordeolum. The old wive's tale is to rub the stye with a gold wedding ring several times. I don't know if it really works, but they used to sell Golden Eye Ointment in Britain many years ago. I'm not sure why a 'wedding' ring but I do rub a gold ring across it and it does seem to help. Must be something in the chemical composition of gold I suppose. No, that's not my eye!!! I am now wondering what else, I don't think I mentioned I bruised my finger badly on Monday when a bowling ball came back on the ball return and I had my hand in the way - stupid me, I wasn't watching what I was doing. I don't know if you can see this on the picture, but the returning balls come rolling along the return at considerable speed, enough to get them up the ramp onto the ball collector at the back. When they get there they are still moving pretty fast and slam into one another. If you have your fingers in there, it can be bloody painful I assure you. So I'm wounded!!! More bowling again today, its the Friday section of our senior league and this is the first day of their season. There's only a few of us and from what we hear, there will be even less than last year. Yesterday I made some almond rice pudding - haven't made it for a while. I now have two egg whites to use up. I don't know whether to sling them into some scrambled egg or to make some meringues. Did you know you can cook meringues in a microwave? I have a recipe and the first time I tried it I burnt them horribly. They cooked for far too long. However, after several tries, I finally achieved something edible. I can't find the recipe I originally used, it was sent in by a friend to our recipe group, but this one came from the Good Food Magazine. Microwave Meringues in Minutes 300g icing sugar 1 lightly beaten egg white Sift 300g of icing sugar over 1 lightly beaten egg white. Stir until the mixture is a thick, pliable icing and roll into balls. Line a plate with kitchen paper. Put 3 balls at a time on the plate and microwave them on high for 1½ mins and watch, in amazement, as the balls balloon and puff into meringues.When they are cool, use the meringues in desserts. They're perfect for sandwiching together with whipped cream and sliced tropical fruit. I thought I had given the recipe for Almond Rice Pudding too, but it appears not, so here it is. Two recipes for the price of one. I particularly like this recipe because it is all cooked in a saucepan which makes life very easy. Almond Rice Pudding 1 cup (250 ml) water 1/2 cup (125 ml) long-grain rice, rinsed A 3-inch (8 cm) piece of orange rind A pinch of salt 4 cups (1 L) milk 1 cup (250 ml) sugar 1/4 cup (60 ml) ground blanched almonds 2 egg yolks, well beaten Ground cinnamon for garnish 1 Combine the water, rice, orange rind, and salt in a saucepan and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat and simmer covered for 15 minutes. Discard the orange rind and add the milk, sugar, and almonds. 2 Cook uncovered over low heat until the milk has been absorbed, 55 to 60 minutes (I suggest you stir at least once). Stir in the egg yolks and cook for 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer to a serving dish or individual bowls or cups. Serve warm, chilled, or at room temperature, garnished with a sprinkle of cinnamon. Servings: 6 Have a great day.

2 comments:

  1. I'll have to try the meringues. I would never have thought of doing them in the microwave.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You just have to be very careful they don't burn, they do so pretty easily. However, once you have the time right, you're OK.

    ReplyDelete