Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Liberation, Bowling, Monitor, Cards.

As I was just reminded by Marilyn of French Marilyn's blog (see link his page) today is the 65th anniversary of the liberation of Paris. There are so many people today who don't even know what this means any more, mostly because they are too young and it was only a brief incident in their history lesson at school. I didn't realise the French marked this anniversary every year and I am glad that they do. They also put wreaths on all the plaques marking those who were shot in the streets of Paris fighting for Liberty. Although it was the Americans who rolled into Paris, there were many nations who fought the war and helped pave the way for this liberation, not least the Canadians who's part is very little recognised. I read an article from a British newspaper the other day about the Canadian's part in all the wars both then and since and how little their sacrifice has been recognised by the rest of the world. We went bowling again yesterday, there were 5 of us this time. If the summer had gone on much longer, we might have ended up with our own league. The other three were there just for fun but we wanted to record our games ahead in case we couldn't play a league game at any time during the winter season. We already have bowl aheads for our vacation period so this was an extra. Both Matt and I bowled really well and for us, got good scores. Matt's highest yesterday was a 244 and I bowled a 200 (I did last week as well, 204) but all three of my games were excellent although Matt did have one weak game in the middle. It feels so great when you bowl well, the same in any sport I guess. I must have really put my all into it as I feel a bit stiff this morning especially around the chest muscles. Talking of chest muscles, I finally get rid of this stupid heart monitor tomorrow - I will be so pleased, it has been nothing but a nuisance to me. I suppose I shouldn't complain, at least two people have told me about the monitor they had which had to hang round your neck. I think that would have been even more of a nuisance. Tonight we are going to play cribbage at a friend's home and I hope this will be a regular thing. We used to play cards a lot with them when we both had places in NC, but we haven't played back in Canada much at all. No idea why. This picture, by the way, is of a perfect crib hand, 29 points, I have never had one unfortunately, Matt has nearly had it with a 28 a couple of times but I never did get near it. Well of course you don't know how to count it if you can't score a cribbage hand!!! The score you can never get in crib is 19 so if you hear someone say that, it means they have an empty hand. I have now finished the first two books of the Enduring Flame Trilogy The Phoenix Unchained and The Phoenix Endangered. I was then very upset to find out that the third book doesn't even get released til next month. Waaah, I want to read it now, I mean now. As you will see from this cover, this series involved dragons and those of you who have been with me for a while, know how much I love dragons. Although in this last book they seem to have carelessly lost one of them. I have a sneaking suspicion they won't find it again until right at the end of the third book too. 'Sall due to magic doncha know. The following recipe came from yet another ezine I get regularly. I am actually not a devotee of pulled pork as served in the Southern States although it is a very popular item. I prefer my pork in slices not shreds so whenever we did a barbecued pig, we carved off the meat. Nothing wrong with the flavour though. Barbecued-Pork Burritos with Chopped Salad Source: Quick from Scratch - One Dish Meals by Permission of Food and Wine The pulled pork popular in the South takes hours, even days to prepare; starting with digging a pit. Our barbecued pork has a similar flavor, but takes just minutes to make. INGREDIENTS 2 1/2 tablespoons wine vinegar 1/4 tablespoon dried thyme 1 1/4 teaspoons salt Fresh-ground black pepper 1/4 cup olive oil 1 pound pork tenderloin 2 tablespoons cooking oil 1 cup bottled barbecue sauce 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin 6 ounces cheddar or Monterey jack cheese, shredded (about 1 1/2 cups) 4 9-inch flour tortillas 1/2 head romaine lettuce, chopped (about 2 cups) 3 tomatoes, diced 2 green bell peppers, diced 1 cucumber, peeled, halved lengthwise, seeded, and diced DIRECTIONS In a medium bowl, whisk 1 1/2 tablespoons of the vinegar, the thyme, 3/4 teaspoon of the salt, and 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Add the olive oil slowly, whisking. Heat the oven to 350 degrees. Cut the pork into 1/4-inch slices, and then cut the slices into 1/4-inch strips. In a large frying pan, heat 1 tablespoon of the cooking oil over high heat. Add half the pork, sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon of the salt, and sauté until cooked through and just beginning to brown, 3 to 4 minutes. Remove. Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon cooking oil and cook the rest of the pork, seasoning it with the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt. Return all the pork to the pan. Stir in the barbecue sauce, cumin, the remaining 1 tablespoon vinegar, and two thirds (about 1 cup) of the cheese. Spread some of the pork mixture in a line just below the center of each tortilla. Roll up the burritos and put them seam-side down in a small baking dish. Bake for 10 minutes, sprinkle with the remaining cheese, and bake until the cheese melts and the filling is hot, about 2 minutes longer. Meanwhile, put the lettuce, tomatoes, bell peppers, and cucumber into the bowl and toss.Put the salad on plates and top with the burritos. Have a great day.

2 comments:

  1. I thought those were Tarot Cards, and wondered what you were up to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nope,just regular cards. Tarot cards are much more interesting to look at. I used to read palms though *g*

    ReplyDelete