Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Christmas,

A lot of my e-friends have shut down their blogs for Christmas, they have gone away in some cases. I have no doubt a lot of people won't have much time to read blogs anyway, so I am thinking of taking a break as well. At least it is going to be hit and miss for a day or so. Just in case, I wish you all a very merry Christmas, or if you are celebrating it, a happy Hannukah with many blessings to come for the year 2009. Yesterday, we had our Christmas lunch at the bowling alley - we received a number of small gifts including a mug with all the fixings for hot chocolate from our team captain, really nice of her. A number of draws were held and small prizes given out. We eventually came home laden with goodies, I had to get a shopping bag from the alley to carry everything home with us. We will not be bowling again until January 2 for our Friday league or the following Monday for the other group. We will miss it. In the middle of that, on January 4, I am bowling in a tournament, so wish me luck. We actually went shopping around 4:30 a.m. last night and much to my surprise, the store was not that crowded. We picked up our turkey breast. It turns out to be about 4 lbs. I was offered a breast weighing about 8 lbs but as they wanted $42 we were somewhat horrified and settled for a smaller one. In North Carolina I used to buy them at 7 lbs for about $10. Not sure if I still can, but certainly not that expensive. I will be popping it in brine tomorrow. We have friends coming for dinner tonight so have a bit of preparation to do. It now appears I won't be volunteering this afternoon, so that allows me more time to cook, Matt won't have to do the bulk of it. He has to go have his ears lowered (haircut) this afternoon and to pick up a couple of things we forgot. Silly us. I sometimes think we would forget our heads etc. etc. To complement all the fattening and rich foods a lot of us are going to be eating in the next few days, here is a Citrus Salad from Best Ever Christmas. Citrus Salad 2 large oranges 2 large grapefruit 2 large tangelos 12 radishes, sliced 1 Spanish onion, thinly sliced 1 telegraph (? English, seedless) cucumber, sliced 1/2 cup coriander leaves Dressing 1/2 cup olive oil 1 tbs rice wine vinegar 1 tsp soy sauce 1 tsp sambal oelek Peel rind and pith from oranges, grapefruit and tangelos, cut fruit into 3 mm slices, remove seeds. Combine fruit slices in a large bowl with radish, onion, cucumber and coriander. To make dressing, place oil, vinegar, soy sauce and sambal oelek in a small jar. Shake vigorously for 20 seconds, or until combined. Pour over salad before serving. Have a great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment