Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Dominican to Diabetes and Healthy Eating

My blog yesterday produced an ad on my blog page, which some may have seen, for dating Dominican girls. I don't know whether this is straight or otherwise, but one thing I do know, except for baseball greats like Tommy Lesotho, most Dominicans are not allowed to leave the island. When we were there, we were chatting to our tour operator who is French Canadian but lives in the Dominican, she is married to a Dominican man who has his own business and owns land there too, but he is not allowed to visit Canada with her no matter what!!! I was given to understand that this is generally the case. I am not having a good computer day, if I have re-booted once I've done so half a dozen times. It appears that Microsoft's newest update for my computer reacts badly with my Zone Alarm security system and doesn't allow me to go on the Internet at all. When I got to my computer this morning, it had updated all on its own without my permission. So not only did I have to delete the update once again and re-boot) then I had to go through ways of removing the icon so it wouldn't do it again. Zone Alarm are working on a way to fix this, but at the moment its a flipping nuisance and that's a polite way of putting it. Good Morning America had a segment on the increase of diabetes in the US. Elsewhere in the world of course, but it is an American programme. It is quite shocking how many children are at risk. One thing the doctor said today, was not to drink diet sodas (pop) or artificial sweeteners generally as they have discovered one can of pop a day can significantly increase the risk of diabetes. If you are interested in reading the article click here. One complaint I have is the US is still using non-metric systems so it is difficult to compare with what the rest of us count. The doctor was saying if your blood sugar is between 100-126 your are pre-diabetic, to me that is around 5.5 to 6.5. They don't even talk of pre-diabetes in Canada any more, either you are diabetic or you aren't. There is another good article called The Ten Best Foods You Aren't Eating read here which gives a list of different foods for health, some of them I am OK with some of them I rarely eat. I have grown Purslane as a flower, but I didn't know you could eat it, the leaves that is it doesn't mention the flowers. This article is not directed to people with diabetes, but to everyone. This is another of those recipes I have saved, but not actually cooked yet. Re-reading it, I think it will be on my menu very soon. It came from Sunset Campari tomatoes. I don't know if you have come across Campari tomatoes, but they are some of the sweetest tomatoes I have had in years. Sunset Campari Tomato Chicken Creole Serves 6 2 tbs olive oil 1 lge onion chopped 2 stalks celery chopped 1 red pepper diced 1/2 C chopped flat leaf parsley 2 cloves garlic chopped 3/4 C chicken stock 3 tbs red wine vinegar 1 lb Campari tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped 2 tbs tomato puree 1 tbs brown sugar 1 tsp Tabasco 6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts 1/2 tsp each salt and pepper 1/2 C dry red wine Instructions: Heat olive oil in large heavy casserole over medium heat. Add onion, celery, bell pepper and parsley. Cook for 5 mins. Add garlic and cook for 2 mins. Add chicken stock, vinegar, tomatoes, tomato puree, sugar, pepper sauce, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil over high heat, reduce to simmer for 10 mins. Heat 1 tsp olive oil in a large frying pan over med. heat. Add chicken breasts and cook til golden, 5 mins. Add wine and tomato sauce to chicken. Simmer until chicken is cooked. 10 minutes. Season. Serve Have a great day.

6 comments:

  1. Come on, you have to talk nicely to your computer if you want some understanding !

    Well, reading about Diabetes, i can tell you that it is slightly the same problem in France. People do everything as North america. And 1rst type of diabete is increasing.
    and so the second type of it which often results about the first neglected one.

    I'm a stomach on leggs again with your creole chicken ! I'm gloriously going back to my dreamt islands ------> ^^

    ReplyDelete
  2. The ten foods article is interesting ... I confess I hadn't even heard of two of them!

    Microsoft updates do nothing to help my blood pressure. But I agree with gynie ... I find I get better response from my pc if I try the seductive persuasion approach, rather than trying to clobber it with logic or random blunt instruments.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nope, never clobbered it but I have certainly felt like doing so at times.

    I wonder if they eat Creole Chicken in the Glory Isles gynie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jo, I've heard from someone else who suffered the same computer fate that ZoneLabs have now posted the patch on their website.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jo - What does a Campari tomato look like? Are they they black ones? We have about half a dozen different kind of tomatoes here in Paris now, but only the yellow cherry tomato is sweet.

    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  6. Somehow I missed two comments here. Lou, thanks, yes I was notified about the Zone Alarm update and installed it and then the MS update too. Thanks for drawing my attention to it.

    Campari tomatoes - they are red, here they are sized between cherry and regular tomatoes and are very sweet. Grape tomatoes too are generally very sweet too. Unfortunately most tomatoes are picked green and just don't reach theire proper sweetness without the sun and the plant stem. Never seen black tomatoes but we get lots of yellow ones which are reputed to be less acidic.

    ReplyDelete