Monday, July 21, 2008

Bowling, Governments

How sad, the last bowling day of the summer league today. We have our lunch at 1 and then bowl three games, one straight, and two "silly". Like bowling with your other hand, or backwards through your legs etc. in one game and the other is called bowling bingo where you have a sheet of scores to check off and you all bowl like mad to try and get the scores first. I remembered to ice my thumb joint last night but I'm not sure I did enough to help today so maybe the rest through August will do it good. Grrr, Governments. I quit work last year and sent in a tax form showing my estimated income for 2008, after several months, they adjusted our pensions and supplements to reflect my lack of earnings for 2008. Friday I got a another form saying they have adjusted our pensions reflecting the tax filing for 2007 which has dropped our pensions considerably each month due to my salary in 2007. This morning I phoned and I have to fill out yet another form showing estimated income for 2008 which will take another 3 months for them to adjust. It seems to me it is yet another case of the left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing. I am not a happy camper. I have just finished reading Karen Miller's Empress in her Godspeaker Series - I enjoyed it, but I sure learned to intensely dislike the main protagonist, Hecat, however, Karen assures me that in her next book, Riven Kingdom, it talks about a different bunch and I will not come across Hecat too much. I am now reading an amusing book called Goblin Quest by Jim C. Hines, part of a series. The book is described as hilarious, I wouldn't go that far, put it is pretty funny in some places. Who would ever think you could empathise with a goblin. I think the cover alone is pretty funny, I hope you can make it out OK. I will certainly be reading the rest of this series. For those of you who know my love of dragons, no, I did not choose this book because of the dragon on the cover, I chose it because of a recommendation in one of my ezines, Recipe du Jour. Well, better get going, I don't want to miss my "banquet". Hope some of you enjoyed the River Cross puzzle I posted yesterday. When we visited Portugal I loved their pork stews, I have been trying to find one similar, this is one of the nearest I found on the Internet. I apologise, I don't remember the exact source. PORK STEW WITH CUMIN (Portugal) Portugese Servings: 6 Ingredients: 2 pounds boneless pork, cubed MARINADE: 1/3 cup dry white wine 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped 2 teaspoons lemon juice 2 teaspoons cumin 1 bay leaf salt and pepper to taste TO COOK: 2 tablespoons olive oil 1 large onion, finely chopped water or stock (if needed) TO SERVE: 10 large pitted black olives lemon wedges for garnish Instructions: Marinate pork in mixture of white wine, garlic, lemon juice, cumin, bay leaf, salt, and pepper in refrigerator for 6 hours. Remove pork from marinade and reserve liquid. Sauté pork and onion in oil until pork is browned. Add marinade and bring to a simmer; cook 30 minutes. Add water or stock if necessary to keep it moist. Scatter with olives and serve with lemon wedges. Have a great day.

9 comments:

  1. Goblin Quest author Jim Hines is also the guy who wrote the sf spoof of the Gilbert & Sullivan song that glenda posted on her blog last week ... coincidence, innit? :)

    Governments and taxes, bah. We used to have a system where you filled out your tax return in January for your income in the previous calendar year, and then come September you would get your tax bill ... i.e. no forward estimates needed because you were doing everything restrospectively. nice and simple, and it worked. So now they've started mucking the system about with estimates all over the place, taking loads more people loads more time to keep recalculating tax contributions and getting things wrong. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hadn't realised that was the same man. He is certainly pretty clever. I have to get the rest of his goblin books - I love his goblin character Jig. Yes it is a coincidence.

    Trouble is whilst governments sort themselves out, we have to be short of cash until they get it figured out. Luckily we are not on the breadline, not yet!!!! But for all they know, we could be.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope your thumb saw you through the day's bowling, Jo! Also hoping, of course, that your team won.

    I must read Jim Hines. That G&S spoof really rocks! BTW, you will love Karen Miller's newest fantasy book, written as KE Mills.It has humour, it has horror, it has a damned good story. It's called The Accidental Sorcerer and is the start of a another trilogy. She also wrote the Kingmaker, Kingbreaker duology and has written Stargate and Starwars tie-ins, too. A clever lady, and one of my fave Aussie authors, along with Juliet Marillier, Glenda Larke and Simon Haynes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Today was basically fun and games Satima, but we played bowling bingo and my team didn't win. However, we both won $5 for scores during the year so we didn't come away empty handed.

    Have read the Kingmaker Kingbreaker duology and enjoyed it very much, I must look for her KE Mills stuff. Just finished my first Goblin book, good read, light, but fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thumb held up OK by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jo - Do as the French do. Cheat with your tax. It's a national sport here.

    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ha ha! Today google accepted me as a blogger.

    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  8. As a blogger or as an advertiser?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't need to cheat on my taxes, I don't earn enough to have to pay any. Its just getting the pensions sorted out.

    ReplyDelete